Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Is There Any Evidence The RAAF Has A Positive Attitude To GA?

The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Is There Any Evidence The RAAF Has A Positive Attitude To GA?

Old 26th Oct 2019, 08:10
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,942
Originally Posted by Chronic Snoozer View Post
That's twice you've used that quote in the past 6 weeks with a slight difference this time. Do you have a source? Just curious. The visit would have been between 1984 and 1987 I presume. To whom was the remark made?
Chronic Snoozer,
Source --- Me. Hence minor variations due memory, but the message was there. Date, as I said, years ago, exact date, too hard.
The remark was made to the operating crew of the aircraft, including the Captain.
As I recall, the reason he was even in Australia was not aviation, but guest speaker at a major annual function held at the Royal Melbourne Golf Club.
Tootle pip!!

PS: Crew treatment at any Port of New York Authority airports has always been dreadful, long long before 9/11 ---- and is nothing to do with FAA, just as security here is nothing to do with CASA.
LeadSled is offline  
Old 26th Oct 2019, 22:32
  #82 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,520
Originally Posted by Squawk7700 View Post


If they actually trusted you like you say they did, they would have given you ammunition. Now youíre just giving ammunition to everyone else, to use on you.

That was probably back when they had conscription; they donít have that any more. Thatís why they gave you the rifle, to make you feel important, thus itís easier to send you off to war to your early death because you believe they trusted you to protect the country. You donít realise it Sunfish, that nothing has actually changed over time! Nor have you...
You could buy ammo anywhere, and at the range it was free. The MCC rifle club offered me a brand new .303 jungle carbine (short barreled .303 with flash suppressor) still in its cosmoline for $10.00. I happened to have $10 in my pocket, but thought that Mum might not approve. A mate bought one and we tried it next weekend - kicked like a horse and a very loud bark - not useful for target shooting.

The rifles went home with us because it was the easiest way to store them at the time. Bare in mind that it was also your patriotic duty to have a .22 and shoot rabbits - for which you got a bounty.

Lest you think I'm joking about "lockdowns" this is what happened to a star wars fan who left the butt of a toy ray gun sticking out oh his backpack in 2008:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...5cd1b4f0071ac1
Sunfish is online now  
Old 26th Oct 2019, 22:33
  #83 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,520
Originally Posted by Squawk7700 View Post


If they actually trusted you like you say they did, they would have given you ammunition. Now youíre just giving ammunition to everyone else, to use on you.

That was probably back when they had conscription; they donít have that any more. Thatís why they gave you the rifle, to make you feel important, thus itís easier to send you off to war to your early death because you believe they trusted you to protect the country. You donít realise it Sunfish, that nothing has actually changed over time! Nor have you...
You could buy ammo anywhere, and at the range it was free. The MCC rifle club offered me a brand new .303 jungle carbine (short barreled .303 with flash suppressor) still in its cosmoline for $10.00. I happened to have $10 in my pocket, but thought that Mum might not approve. A mate bought one and we tried it next weekend - kicked like a horse and a very loud bark - not useful for target shooting. I was about 14 at the time.

The rifles went home with us because it was the easiest way to store them at the time. Bare in mind that it was also your patriotic duty to have a .22 and shoot rabbits - for which you got a bounty.

Lest you think I'm joking about "lockdowns" this is what happened to a star wars fan who left the butt of a toy ray gun sticking out oh his backpack in 2008:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...5cd1b4f0071ac1
Sunfish is online now  
Old 26th Oct 2019, 22:37
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,292
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
You could buy ammo anywhere, and at the range it was free. The MCC rifle club offered me a brand new .303 jungle carbine (short barreled .303 with flash suppressor) still in its cosmoline for $10.00. I happened to have $10 in my pocket, but thought that Mum might not approve. A mate bought one and we tried it next weekend - kicked like a horse and a very loud bark - not useful for target shooting.

The rifles went home with us because it was the easiest way to store them at the time. Bare in mind that it was also your patriotic duty to have a .22 and shoot rabbits - for which you got a bounty.

Lest you think I'm joking about "lockdowns" this is what happened to a star wars fan who left the butt of a toy ray gun sticking out oh his backpack in 2008:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...5cd1b4f0071ac1
Right. So the laws regarding firearms have changed due to two massacres perpetrated by white, male Australians. This was done by a conservative government and widely supported by the community.

Now, what are the other great impositions on freedom you are complaining about?
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 26th Oct 2019, 23:00
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 84

BigPapi is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 01:08
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aus
Age: 27
Posts: 346
This thread has really been a good time for me.
junior.VH-LFA is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 03:38
  #87 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7,520
Originally Posted by Wizofoz View Post
Right. So the laws regarding firearms have changed due to two massacres perpetrated by white, male Australians. This was done by a conservative government and widely supported by the community.

Now, what are the other great impositions on freedom you are complaining about?
Iím not complaining about that ďimposition on freedomĒ, Iím highlighting the change in community standards. .. .Some for the better like LBGTQQQ and womenís rights, some for the worse, like political correctness.
Sunfish is online now  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 05:01
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,942
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
. The MCC rifle club offered me a brand new .303 jungle carbine (short barreled .303 with flash suppressor) still in its cosmoline for $10.00.
Bare in mind that it was also your patriotic duty to have a .22 and shoot rabbits - for which you got a bounty.
Sunfish,
That really takes me back. I have still got the Mk5, SMLE built version, bought brand new, in the grease, but I paid 15 quid at Mick Simmons.
I was probably 16 or 17 when I exhausted the savings account on the Mk5. Great for pigs.
I only found out many years afterwards that the really big recoils probably meant you had some ammunition intended for Brownings in aircraft, not for rifles.
And my re-barreled (.22) full wood Mk2, for potting rabbits.
Tootle pip!!
LeadSled is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 05:54
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Straya
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post


Iím not complaining about that ďimposition on freedomĒ, Iím highlighting the change in community standards. .. .Some for the better like LBGTQQQ and womenís rights, some for the worse, like political correctness.
But itís the transgender lobby and feminists that stop schoolboys taking rifles on trams.
Flaming galah is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 11:02
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Posts: 4,292
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post


Iím not complaining about that ďimposition on freedomĒ, Iím highlighting the change in community standards. .. .Some for the better like LBGTQQQ and womenís rights, some for the worse, like political correctness.
We've always had political correctness. How would that cadet on the tram have reacted if someone said "Fvck the Queen" or tried to explain that Marxism was nothing like Soviet Communism?

There were protests outside the initial staging of Jesus Christ Superstar because It was blasphemous, and Bob Menzies didn't just ban Lady Chatterley's Lover, he banned the book detailing the trial that got it's ban lifted in England. He was GOING to ban "Hair" outright, till a photo emerged of Princess Anne dancing on stage at a West End production of the show.

Stifling free speech was a staple of conservatism- it is now, unfortunately, largely the preserve of the left- but the right only squeal about free speech because THEIR days of censorship are over.
Wizofoz is offline  
Old 27th Oct 2019, 12:17
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Perth
Posts: 87
About 7 years ago, the wankers at RAAF Pearce made me made me drive (rather than fly) an engineer to Gingin after my aircraft developed an issue with others flying it, PAN call and landed there. And made it extremely difficult to fly out of there too. Complete wankers.

There were no military ops happening at Gingin at all.

Pearce Flying Club also "appropriated" remaining AVGAS in drum too for no compensation. Thanks so much.

Last edited by AbsoluteFokker; 27th Oct 2019 at 14:15. Reason: clarification
AbsoluteFokker is offline  
Old 28th Oct 2019, 00:39
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A better place.
Posts: 1,618
The constant negativity in this particular branch of the forum is an ongoing source of amusement alternating with bewilderment.
Glad to see some of the chronic whiners are finally being called out.
tartare is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.