Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

Airline Inquiry in US - AA/DAL/UAL/SW

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Airline Inquiry in US - AA/DAL/UAL/SW

Reply

Old 24th Oct 2017, 07:52
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: California
Posts: 1
Airline Inquiry in US - AA/DAL/UAL/SW

Can I get some advice please.

I知 considering moving my family to California, either LA or SF. And would like to know the current state of the pilot job market and what jobs are considered good or better than others.

I知 moving back from over seas so am out of touch with what痴 happening at home.

Important areas of consideration for me are:

1). Roster control
2). Lifestyle (vacation days, type of flying, hours per month)
3). Remuneration
4). Pension - do these exist anymore? I知 currently on defined contribution.
5). Time to upgrade

Not necessarily in the order above but close!

I really appreciate the help. And for anyone considering a job with Cathay - send me a message and I値l pass on all I know!
104Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2017, 21:22
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
104Fan,

You haven't given enough info about your circumstances to answer your questions.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2017, 03:07
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
First you're going to have to learn American English - it's 1) scheduling and 3) compensation. The only airlines with a traditional pension for new hires are FedEx and UPS and FedEx won't look at you for 5 years since you've been living out of country. Delta has pilots holding a Captain bid at about one year if you want to be a EWR MD-80 reserve Captain.

There are profiles for most US carriers over on Airline Pilot Central.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2017, 13:00
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,018
I have recently heard that FedEx is, or has changed that living out of the US restriction? Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Spooky 2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2017, 13:47
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by 104Fan View Post
Can I get some advice please.
104Fan,

Yes...yes you can. But it may not be quite what you sought.

While I can understand your interest in AA/DAL/UAL/SW, I'd suggest you broaden your investigation to include the likes of JetBlue, Spirit, Frontier, Atlas, UPS, FedEx. Particularly since you've expressed a motivation to locate your family in the USA.

Since you've said you're "out of touch" with the state of affairs here let me say that just getting an interview with a career-destination carrier is a monumental hurdle ( and accomplishment) in itself. There are thousands of competitive applicants here who've been unable to get even that far.

And once an interview is granted, interview success rate is the next hurdle. While I don't have complete data for all the companies you listed, I do for DL and SWA as examples.

From SWA's pilot hiring Facebook page, the listed interview success rate is 25-40 %. Their numbers...not allegations.

From DL's own data (also not scuttlebutt), the rate from the start of the big hiring push in 2014 until now is 74% and y-t-d 2017 only 72%. And they appear to be interviewing/hiring fewer than previous years.

From what appears to be a responsible online source, UAL has recently stopped all hiring. I'd like to be proven wrong on that.

I have no data on how many people submit applications vs how many actually get an interview.

Sounds like you're flying for CX ? If so, you've likely got great professional quals and experience. I would suggest you factor in the possibility that'll mean little if anything to most of the really great places you'd want to be.

That won't be your fault; that'll be THEIR fault. Particularly since fuzzy, amorphous HR criteria for what constitutes a "proper" employee seem to carry weight equal or exceeding the professional aviation ones.

If I may say so, most of the other questions you raised are largely insignificant in the Grand Scheme of establishing a long term airline career here.

And...as has been mentioned, without the legal ability to live/work here, all of what I just said is also irrelevant. You'll need US citizenship, dual citizenship or a Green Card or no desirable carrier will touch you.

Best of luck in your efforts.

Last edited by bafanguy; 26th Oct 2017 at 14:06.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 11:35
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by Spooky 2 View Post
I have recently heard that FedEx is, or has changed that living out of the US restriction? Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Spooky 2,

It used to be listed among their requirements but now isn't:

https://fedex.pilotcredentials.com/i...qualifications

I thought it had something to do with US Post Office regs...or something...not sure where I got that idea. I don't recall UPS having such a restriction but UPS carries mail, right ?

Also don't understand this one...maybe something related to CRAF ? Many carriers are CRAF but I haven't see it listed among requirements for other carriers. Always possible I've overlooked something:

"Eligibility for issuance of US Security Clearance"

The SIDA badge restrictions are entertaining. I don't recall seeing this listed on other airlines' quals info:

"Please review the following list of disqualifying offenses and certify that you have not, during the past 10 years, been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of any of the following disqualifying offenses."

Here's an example of a carrier with the residency requirement:

“Must be eligible to work in the U.S. and have resided in the U.S. for 4.5 of the past 5 years.”

http://www.jsfirm.com/Pilot-Fixed+Wi...o/jobID_234631


Please accept my most heart felt sympathy for anyone looking for a flying job these days.

Last edited by bafanguy; 2nd Nov 2017 at 15:00. Reason: Add stuff
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 21:03
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Spooky 2

I thought it had something to do with US Post Office regs...or something...not sure where I got that idea. I don't recall UPS having such a restriction but UPS carries mail, right?
Unless things have changed, no.

Back in the early 2000s the USPS canceled the the ten year year they had signed with Kitty Hawk after only a couple years. They decided they wanted a carrier with presence everywhere. The USPS determined that there were only two cargo companies with that presence. And the USPS didn't get along with UPS so it was a no bid award of the express mail contract to FedEx.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 21:17
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by MarkerInbound View Post
Unless things have changed, no.

Back in the early 2000s the USPS canceled the the ten year year they had signed with Kitty Hawk after only a couple years. They decided they wanted a carrier with presence everywhere. The USPS determined that there were only two cargo companies with that presence. And the USPS didn't get along with UPS so it was a no bid award of the express mail contract to FedEx.
MI,

Thanks. Didn't know that (along with lots of other stuff ).

So, is the residency requirement related to a USPS contract ? Any idea why FedEx dropped it ?
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2017, 05:07
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Far, Far Away
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
MI,

Thanks. Didn't know that (along with lots of other stuff ).

So, is the residency requirement related to a USPS contract ? Any idea why FedEx dropped it ?
Probably because other airlines often carry US mail and never had any such restrictions.

My 7 years at EK is almost up and having been in touch recently with a FedEx pilot-friend, I can also confirm it has been removed.
pilotguy1222 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2017, 18:14
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: FLA
Posts: 1
Cali Living?

You sure must like paying taxes
martoni is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2017, 18:51
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by 104Fan View Post
Can I get some advice please.

I知 considering moving my family to California, either LA or SF. And would like to know the current state of the pilot job market and what jobs are considered good or better than others.

I知 moving back from over seas so am out of touch with what痴 happening at home.

Important areas of consideration for me are:

1). Roster control
2). Lifestyle (vacation days, type of flying, hours per month)
3). Remuneration
4). Pension - do these exist anymore? I知 currently on defined contribution.
5). Time to upgrade

Not necessarily in the order above but close!

I really appreciate the help. And for anyone considering a job with Cathay - send me a message and I値l pass on all I know!
You can find some great info on airlinepilotcentral. Including pay rates, bases, and even mandatory retirements. I'll do my best to give you some insight into AA.

Getting LA based with AA is very easy. In fact they usually send 20 or so from every new hire class to LAX A320 or 737. You'll be on reserve, with 12 day off per calendar 30 day month, and 13 off for a 31 day month. If you live in base it's great. You'll probably fly about 30 hours per month, so a lot of time at home. Schedule will be mostly domestic on the narrow body of course, plus Canada and Mexico. A good bit of Hawaii too on the Airbus. I believe you get 21 vacation days prorated for year one, tops out at 31 days at year 14. No pension at AA. Company 401k contribution at 16%, no match required, after year one. All four airlines you asked about get profit sharing as well, percentages vary. I wouldn't be focusing on upgrade time if I were you. Any of the four you mentioned call, I'd jump on it. Best of luck.

Last edited by AAGpilot; 16th Dec 2017 at 19:29.
AAGpilot is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service