PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Inquiry in US - AA/DAL/UAL/SW
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2017, 17:51
AAGpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 104Fan
Can I get some advice please.

I’m considering moving my family to California, either LA or SF. And would like to know the current state of the pilot job market and what jobs are considered good or better than others.

I’m moving back from over seas so am out of touch with what’s happening at home.

Important areas of consideration for me are:

1). Roster control
2). Lifestyle (vacation days, type of flying, hours per month)
3). Remuneration
4). Pension - do these exist anymore? I’m currently on defined contribution.
5). Time to upgrade

Not necessarily in the order above but close!

I really appreciate the help. And for anyone considering a job with Cathay - send me a message and I’ll pass on all I know!
You can find some great info on airlinepilotcentral. Including pay rates, bases, and even mandatory retirements. I'll do my best to give you some insight into AA.

Getting LA based with AA is very easy. In fact they usually send 20 or so from every new hire class to LAX A320 or 737. You'll be on reserve, with 12 day off per calendar 30 day month, and 13 off for a 31 day month. If you live in base it's great. You'll probably fly about 30 hours per month, so a lot of time at home. Schedule will be mostly domestic on the narrow body of course, plus Canada and Mexico. A good bit of Hawaii too on the Airbus. I believe you get 21 vacation days prorated for year one, tops out at 31 days at year 14. No pension at AA. Company 401k contribution at 16%, no match required, after year one. All four airlines you asked about get profit sharing as well, percentages vary. I wouldn't be focusing on upgrade time if I were you. Any of the four you mentioned call, I'd jump on it. Best of luck.

Last edited by AAGpilot; 16th Dec 2017 at 18:29.