PPRuNe Forums

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:18   #61 (permalink)
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 236

This is a question regarding the FAA ATP Eligibility Requirements.

Can you tell me whether the following hours can be accepted toward the 1500total required. The airplane is a c208a and is operated under far 91,its a single pilot aricraft, but the local regulations state that it can be operated with a co-pilot and - or PICUS.
Now theres nothing to say it must have two pilots. Is this acceptable for FAA licence approval?

Many thanks.
Speedbird744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 17:32   #62 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On the Chiropractor torture table.
Posts: 36
Are you asking if you can count hours that you may have logged while acting SIC in a C-208 for insurance purposes?
The fact that there are 2 seats means there can be 2 pilots, unfortunately, it was certified as a single pilot aircraft. Which means two things for you, if you want to accrue SIC and TT in your logbook, you are welcome to it (a few future employers might not agree however); secondly the FAA will not recognize time spent as SIC in an aircraft which was not certificated as such (unless you can prove to be the holder of a CFII rating, or acting as a designated safety pilot during recurrent instrument competency).
Things would have been different if this aircraft was operated under the provisions of 14CFR135 passenger service, there your time does count, because the law requires a multi crew.
Short version, if you were not the PIC (under 14CFR91, this means you physically flew the aircraft), then your time does not even exist for new airman certificate application.

Last edited by Harmattan96; 2nd Apr 2008 at 17:54.
Harmattan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 18:14   #63 (permalink)
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 236
Well I don't mean sic time or safety pilot time, rather Pilot In Command Under supervision, while sitting in the right seat. Or maybe theres no difference between them.
Speedbird744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 19:19   #64 (permalink)
Join Date: May 2000
Location: US
Posts: 896
If you were the "sole manipulator of the controls" and rated to fly this airplane (not type rated, but "airplane single engine land,", then under FAA regulations you can log PIC time.
Check 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2008, 21:33   #65 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where the Quaboag River flows, USA
Age: 65
Posts: 3,187
In FAA world, I don't believe there is such a thing as PICUS. It is a single pilot plane (C208) operated in a regulatory environment (FAR 91) that did not require a SIC; hence, the time is no different than being a passenger. IF you flew a leg as "sole manipulator" of the controls and were Commercial Pilot with Airplane Single Engine Land (assuming landplane) then you could legally log THOSE hours and credit them toward the ATP as PIC time. The insurance rules are irrelavent to the FAA. Check FAR Part 1 and Part 61.

galaxy flyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2008, 10:01   #66 (permalink)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in the fuselage of a DHC-7 in a junkyard
Posts: 85
In FAA world, I don't believe there is such a thing as PICUS.
Correct. I hold both FAA and CASA license and I used to have the same problem. The answer is simple, there can be only one PIC and no SIC in a C208 under part 91 operations for the purpose of FAA certification.

The exception is, as stated by Harmattan96, if you were giving dual instruction or acting as designated safety pilot under recurrent instrument competency and under part 135 ops.

drop me a PM if you need further infos
spacepodlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2008, 16:21   #67 (permalink)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SA
Posts: 29
There can not be a SIC on a single pilot a/c, but there can be numerous PIC's. PIC time for the person who signed for the a/c; PIC time for the person who is the sole manipulator; PIC for the safety pilot(if the sole manipulator is "under the hood"); PIC for the IP and the student(if the student already has a ASEL rating. Any of the above combinations are acceptable. Get this... Sole manip under the hood, safety pilot beside him in front seat, pilot who signed for a/c in the back seat( if s/he is a certificated IP or check airman)--- all can log PIC under FAA rules. I didn't make the rules and do not necessarily agree with this practice, but that is how the FAR's are written. While the latter example is theoretically correct and legal, I think it would be a stretch to log time in that manner.

Last edited by MozYank; 11th Apr 2008 at 00:36.
MozYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2008, 22:19   #68 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: On the Chiropractor torture table.
Posts: 36
Speedbird744, sorry for the delay in answering, it has been interesting lately.
There is virtually no such thing as PICUS under FAA regulations. One noted exception is during flight training for multiengined aircraft (if you want more info I'll start a new thread on that).
Therefore, you are welcome, and you should, log all of the time that you MANIPULATED the flight controls in that C208, providing that you can prove to have been trained in the aircraft's operation and systems (in house or FlightSafety, SimuFlite, etc..). That time should be logged as TT, PIC, SE, TURBINE, IFR, whatever you accomplished. This time will count in your total when you fill out the 8710 forms for your ATP-FAA. What you may not count is all the time that you spent twirling your thumbs, enjoying the scenery and talking on the radio.
Long story short: you touchy-feely controls(power levers, yoke, rudder), you log PIC time (strictly under 14 CFR 91 however).
Hope that this is good news for you, feel free to PM me if you need clara.
Harmattan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 21:15   #69 (permalink)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Halfback in the scrum
Posts: 6
Hey Mungo P ......Was the ride with "Turbulence" in Florida by any chance with an examiner having the initials FJ.
freightdawg747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 00:18   #70 (permalink)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Whangarei
Posts: 22
FAA Atpl Conversion

Hi everyone.

I currently hold a NZ CPL and want a FAA ATPL. Ive heard its just a case of a written multi choice questionaire thats fairly straight foward. Is there also an oral component or a flight test? Would I have to first convert to a FAA CPL and then sit the exam for the FAA ATPL?

Can anybody point me in the right direction of a school or organisation with good pass rates for the FAA ATPL on the west coast. Prefer LA or San Fran.

Also any idea of costs?

Spinner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2008, 12:59   #71 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: edge of reality
Posts: 780
You'll be able to find answers to all your Qs if you take the trouble to access the FAA website.. I believe that it's www.faa.org it's resonably user friendly. Also you can find a wealth of information on the PPRuNe seach facility as the subject has been covered ad nauseaum over the years.

Assuming that you qualify on hours, you will have to sit a 'writtten' (online), you may be able to do this while still in NZ... it's very simple, little more than a PPL written in Europe... You will then have to take a flying exam which involves an oral followed by the actual flying... The oral can be anything from 2 hours upwards, depending on your examiner and your performance and goes someway to mitigating the ease of the 'written' exam... the flying exam can be be tough, again depending on your examiner, unlike the European (and probably NZ) flight tests, it combines the Instrument flying and general handling into one test, again, apprx 2 1/2 hours.

I'm not current on who to recommmend.. there are very many schools scattered country-wide though few will know exactly what's required by way of the actual flight test for the ATP as most US pilots simply do the CPL and wait until a company sponsors them for a type-rating, combining the APT check-ride with the type check-ride. You'll need to do some research.
MungoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2008, 17:34   #72 (permalink)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: KUL
Posts: 16
Computerized test

Hi there,

Any idea where in London can i take the computerized test? Any contact details? I'm planning to convert my ICAO ATP to FAA. Thanx
tyndalljet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2008, 00:22   #73 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,603
The FAA web site has the list and there's a place in England.
MarkerInbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2008, 03:47   #74 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Eire/HK
Posts: 594
FSI Farnborough. does FAA knowledge tests,a little pricey though.
B200Drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2008, 01:12   #75 (permalink)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ...
Posts: 68

I have a Canadian commercial and multi-IFR and would like to know how I should go about to obtain an FAA ATP
Mogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2008, 08:32   #76 (permalink)

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WGS 84
Posts: 238
JAA ATP writent to FAA

is there any chance I can convert my JAA ATP theory instead of attending the 550$ computerized exam ?
I plan to go for the checkride during my type rating in the US but would appreciate to save time and money out of the written exam.
sispanys ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2008, 16:37   #77 (permalink)

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,240
Are you asking about obtaining your FAA ATPL? If you're enquiring about taking the knowledge exam, sometimes referred to as the "written test," then it's typically about eighty US dollar or so. Not five hundred fifty. You will need to take the FAA test, but it's a simple test. You can study it online or buy study discs, or study manuals...which are fairly inexpensive. Try Sporty's online, or any other US pilot supply place. The FAA publishes all the test questions and all the test materials also provide you with the answers.

Clearly you should study the material rather than memorize the answers, but with that review information in hand, it's very hard to fail a FAA knowledge exam these days.

It certainly won't cost five hundred dollars.
SNS3Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2008, 19:33   #78 (permalink)

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WGS 84
Posts: 238
Hi SNS3Guppy !
Thank you for your post.
In fact 550 $ is what it costs if I want to do it abroad through CAE...
To make my question clearer:
I have a JAR CPL IR ME and already hold the JAR ATP written exams

As I will soon go for a type rating in the US, I would like to use this occasion to get a full US ATP by doing the checkride after the type rating. My question is: can I convert my JAR ATP written exams or should I go for this costly exam ? I think it would be fair to convert the JAA exams according to their high requirements...
I can't find any info on this since most people are trying to do the opposite...
sispanys ria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2008, 20:43   #79 (permalink)

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,240
Your european ATPL written will not suffice. You will need to take the FAA written.

You do not need to do this with Simuflite or FSI...you can do it at any flight school in the US that has testing facilities. The cost will be eighty to one hundred US dollars...somewhere in that range, depending on where you go.

You do not need a course. You can buy the preparation software for a few dollars and study on your own.

You can take the practical ATPL test at the same time as the type rating test. Functionally, the type test and the ATP practical exam are identical; same maneuvers, same procedures, everyting. It's the same ride. If your paperwork is prepared in advance, there's no good reason why you would need to take the type ride, then go back for the ATP ride.

Let your training provider know in advance what you intend to do.
SNS3Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2009, 15:20   #80 (permalink)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 51
Faa Atpl

Hi there,

I have heard that, unlike other countries, you only have to write one ATPL exam. Then do an oral exam and a flight test. Is this true?

CaptainKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19.

1996-2012 The Professional Pilots Rumour Network

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1