Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Russian Sonar Buoys off Ireland

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Russian Sonar Buoys off Ireland

Old 30th Sep 2021, 23:04
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: aus
Posts: 903
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Video Mixdown View Post
Agreed. I suspect even the 'Russians' segment was either an exercise or set up just for the cameras.
I thought they said at the end the of the episode it was a training execise
rattman is online now  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 09:32
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,513
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I worked with a guy who had been in the submarine service who recounted a story about when they were shadowing a Russian sub from its baffles. Apparently they misjudged its speed and tailgated it - he said the whole crew thought they were a goner (probably the Russians too).
dead_pan is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 09:48
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: The wrong timezone
Posts: 258
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty sure it was Scotland they hit recently in an Astute sub
I'm not sure I'd describe 2011 as "recently", unless you mean geologically.
anson harris is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 16:27
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Devon
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by falcon900 View Post
I am watching the HMS Trenchant series. Having scoffed at the BBC farce "Vigil" I am having to eat my words, truth it would appear is stranger than fiction after all! The Russians dont seem to need to infiltrate the crew to cause the boat to surface / return to port.
In the course of the first two episodes, they have had to surface to offload a sailor with a blistered hand, lost half of the refrigeration capacity within 4 days of leaving port, had an engine room fire necessitating a return to port, lost the use of all heads, and had a failure of the air scrubbers necessitating the entire crew breathing emergency air. One can only hope that the reactor and the weapons are more reliable.........
The apparently appalling reliability of the boat is so bad that I find myself asking whether this is a set up by the Navy to garner public sympathy and support for greater investment. The Vigil producers would have discarded this script as being way too far fetched.
Not yet watched it myself - but I thought that it was filmed during a period of sea training? The FOSTies have never had an aversion to the dictum of 'train hard - fight easy'. Do you watch crime dramas and tell the Police who the murderer was - or do you wait for the end credits?
WE Branch Fanatic is online now  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 20:00
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CYUL
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE Branch Fanatic View Post
Not yet watched it myself - but I thought that it was filmed during a period of sea training? The FOSTies have never had an aversion to the dictum of 'train hard - fight easy'. Do you watch crime dramas and tell the Police who the murderer was - or do you wait for the end credits?
Didn't HMS Turbulent have a catastrophic cooling systems failure after being the subject of a documentary? Even during the documentary there were all kinds of issues with the boat, perhaps it is a curse to be on TV! Or these boats are getting a little long in the tooth
admiral ackbar is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 22:42
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by admiral ackbar View Post
Didn't HMS Turbulent have a catastrophic cooling systems failure after being the subject of a documentary? Even during the documentary there were all kinds of issues with the boat, perhaps it is a curse to be on TV! Or these boats are getting a little long in the tooth
I think we have to put things into perspective. You've got a 30+ year old nuclear power station crammed into a 100m tube, submerged, under pressure, that has to operate from tropical to arctic conditions for months and keep 130 people alive inside it...and it's also loaded with a few tonnes of explosives and in the case of my last boat, has to be able to put missiles into space, from under water. So yeah, there's defects. It's hard to explain just how much stuff is crammed into that tube. A boat can have a thousand defects and still be able to fight. I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying other nations operating boats the age of ours have the same defects.
Chrisbowe82 is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2021, 15:30
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: glasgow
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WE Branch Fanatic View Post
Not yet watched it myself - but I thought that it was filmed during a period of sea training? The FOSTies have never had an aversion to the dictum of 'train hard - fight easy'. Do you watch crime dramas and tell the Police who the murderer was - or do you wait for the end credits?
It is most assuredly not pitched as being a training exercise.
Do you comment on programmes without even seeing the opening credits, oh, sorry, you have already answered that...
falcon900 is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2021, 15:39
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: glasgow
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisbowe82 View Post
I think we have to put things into perspective. You've got a 30+ year old nuclear power station crammed into a 100m tube, submerged, under pressure, that has to operate from tropical to arctic conditions for months and keep 130 people alive inside it...and it's also loaded with a few tonnes of explosives and in the case of my last boat, has to be able to put missiles into space, from under water. So yeah, there's defects. It's hard to explain just how much stuff is crammed into that tube. A boat can have a thousand defects and still be able to fight. I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying other nations operating boats the age of ours have the same defects.
Have you watched the programme?
The defects in question are not minor, and indeed one of them encroached on their ability to keep the crew alive. The fact that other nations are at least as bad seems like rather cold comfort.
All of the previous "docudramas" I have watched which have been filmed with The Navy's cooperation have ended up seemed like quite good adverts for the service / service life. Im afraid that so far this series has looked more like a Brian Rix production, or a premature start of this years pantomime season.
falcon900 is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2021, 20:45
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by falcon900 View Post
Have you watched the programme?
The defects in question are not minor, and indeed one of them encroached on their ability to keep the crew alive. The fact that other nations are at least as bad seems like rather cold comfort.
All of the previous "docudramas" I have watched which have been filmed with The Navy's cooperation have ended up seemed like quite good adverts for the service / service life. Im afraid that so far this series has looked more like a Brian Rix production, or a premature start of this years pantomime season.
Yes, I watched it. I also served on Vanguard, Vigilant and Vengeance and left in 2019 so I've seen my fair share of defects, including the atmosphere being 'out of spec'. It's what happens on submarines. You deal with it.
Chrisbowe82 is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 09:26
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Devon
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I did watch both episodes last night.

1. Burnt hand - it happens. I am not sure why the guy needed evacuation, but communicating with the frigate and the boat transfer were useful training.

2. Refrigeration leak - it seemed odd that they captured the gas in a plastic bag.

3. Fire in engine room - seemed odd, no signs of water or foam being used. There were guys in white overalls with clipboards, which made me wonder If it was a training exercise.

4. Problem with air scrubbers - another training serial? After it was fixed the atmosphere was back to normal very quickly and EBS sets removed.

5. Coordinated operations working with HMS Sutherland - quite a big thing, either in British waters working with the Fleet Ready Escort and/or Towed Array Patrol Ship (and her helicopter, or possibly Maritime Patrol Aircraft), or as part of a deployed task group.
WE Branch Fanatic is online now  
Old 3rd Oct 2021, 19:32
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Location: Location!
Posts: 2,213
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by falcon900 View Post
It is most assuredly not pitched as being a training exercise.
Do you comment on programmes without even seeing the opening credits, oh, sorry, you have already answered that...
Just as well that your moniker is presumably aviation based rather than on a very special code used by the USN!

Jack
Union Jack is offline  
Old 7th Oct 2021, 08:49
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Devon
Posts: 2,737
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
No reply falcon900? I watched both episodes of the programme and commented on your points.
WE Branch Fanatic is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.