PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Sonar Buoys off Ireland
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2021, 14:39
falcon900

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisbowe82
I think we have to put things into perspective. You've got a 30+ year old nuclear power station crammed into a 100m tube, submerged, under pressure, that has to operate from tropical to arctic conditions for months and keep 130 people alive inside it...and it's also loaded with a few tonnes of explosives and in the case of my last boat, has to be able to put missiles into space, from under water. So yeah, there's defects. It's hard to explain just how much stuff is crammed into that tube. A boat can have a thousand defects and still be able to fight. I don't think I'm giving too much away by saying other nations operating boats the age of ours have the same defects.
Have you watched the programme?
The defects in question are not minor, and indeed one of them encroached on their ability to keep the crew alive. The fact that other nations are at least as bad seems like rather cold comfort.
All of the previous "docudramas" I have watched which have been filmed with The Navy's cooperation have ended up seemed like quite good adverts for the service / service life. Im afraid that so far this series has looked more like a Brian Rix production, or a premature start of this years pantomime season.