Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAF Laarbruch memories

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAF Laarbruch memories

Old 11th Jan 2020, 17:48
  #81 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 27
Seems to be Goose, the date is wrong!
This Phantom is also at ......? Leuchars?

RAFG is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2020, 18:20
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 76
464 at Leuchars

Originally Posted by Captain Radar.... View Post
It is Leuchars, we were on det there (TFM or APC?) and the aircrew threw 1000 pounders around, a bit of a change from their usual recce job. We erks lived under canvas by the SAR compound and took our turn at night doing armed guard (with pick axe handles) on Harriers. Unless I'm very much mistaken that's me (as a FLM) strapping the nav in with my mate Viv taking care of the pilot. Happy days.................................(and I do have some piccies of my time on II (AC) and later XV at Laarbruch somewhere but at the time we weren't allowed to take many and get away with it!)

By coincidence one of the few piccies I have from that det happens to be of the same aircraft.
Captain Radar.... is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2020, 21:26
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by RAFG View Post
Anyone an idea where ZA446 is landing here in 1984?
Landing R26 at Goose Jun 89
EXFIN is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 09:56
  #84 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 937
Originally Posted by Captain Radar.... View Post
It is Leuchars, we were on det there (TFM or APC?) and the aircrew threw 1000 pounders around, a bit of a change from their usual recce job. We erks lived under canvas by the SAR compound and took our turn at night doing armed guard (with pick axe handles) on Harriers. Unless I'm very much mistaken that's me (as a FLM) strapping the nav in with my mate Viv taking care of the pilot. Happy days.................................(and I do have some piccies of my time on II (AC) and later XV at Laarbruch somewhere but at the time we weren't allowed to take many and get away with it!)
Minus the pick axe guard bit, when 17 went to Colt for a week, fly in Monday, out Friday and nobody was really sure why we were there, we too were accommodated in tents, on the sports field, and were permitted to use the "somewhat basic " facilities of the sports pavilion for personal hygiene as they say in polite circles.......however, with commendable efficiency, in contrast to parting with money, the admin world duly stopped our LOA commencing on the Monday and not restoring it until the following week.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 13:44
  #85 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 27
Phantom photos

@ Captain Radar: Is this really the same detachment? on your (and my first) photo the triangle on the tail is white, but on the 2nd photo it's red, as it was aroung mid 72-74 ...
regards RAFG
RAFG is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 13:49
  #86 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 27
Goose Bay or Nellis?

RAFG is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 14:05
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,785
Nellis.

OAP
Onceapilot is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 19:03
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 249
I agree, Nellis.
k3k3 is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 19:08
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by RAFG View Post
@ Captain Radar: Is this really the same detachment? on your (and my first) photo the triangle on the tail is white, but on the 2nd photo it's red, as it was aroung mid 72-74 ...
regards RAFG
Hi RAFG,
The first pic you posted on 3 Jan of XV 464 is the the same aircraft on the det in '76. The red badged 486 was at Leuchars by the look of it parked next to 43 Sqn aircraft but not at the same time as the '76 det. Red markings were before my time.

Last edited by Captain Radar....; 12th Jan 2020 at 20:20. Reason: Clarify original response
Captain Radar.... is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2020, 19:13
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 14
March ‘90 possibly?
EXFIN is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2020, 08:44
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: southend on sea
Posts: 63
Definitely Nellis. Could be Green Flag 3/87, I was looking after 'EA' in the background.
claron is offline  
Old 17th Jan 2020, 10:53
  #92 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 27
Pics without location and date

Maybe a bit more difficult, but anyone recognizing these ones?




RAFG is offline  
Old 17th Jan 2020, 11:30
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 359
16 Sqn jet looks to be at Honington.
Jobza Guddun is offline  
Old 17th Jan 2020, 12:55
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Midlands
Posts: 223
16 Sqn jets on ASP at Honington. XV Sqn jet looks like Lossiemouth.
Fg Off Bloggs is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 08:03
  #95 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 27
XV864

no date, no location



RAFG is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 09:58
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 359
Bottom pic of XV864 is definitely Alpha Hard at Lossie, the old 237 OCU line.
Jobza Guddun is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 10:26
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Very quickly a Puma launched and landed just opposite our office on the North side of the main runway and we quickly realised he was picking up the pilot. Thank God he managed to eject in time! I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention the pilots name here - D_n S_________r, but if you're reading this D_n, can I say, never have I been so relieved to hear you got out OK with I think just a broken angle/leg.
I was ground-crew for D_n, not on the day in question but I remember it well. Really really nice guy, think he was a JENGO before becoming flight crew. I'll need a GR7 driver to comment really but I think it was a flap controller failure which meant the flaps didn't retract when the nozzles were moved 'forward' and the word on the street was he was the only pilot to have survived this failure. The pic below shows he did well to eject in time! I did his first see-off when he returned to work. Understandably he checked the flaps quite a few times!

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure AVM Harv Smyth, the new UK Space Commander and similarly nice guy was also on 3(F) at the same time.


Ridger is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 11:04
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Anglia
Posts: 1,910
Originally Posted by Ridger View Post
I was ground-crew for D_n, not on the day in question but I remember it well. Really really nice guy, think he was a JENGO before becoming flight crew. I'll need a GR7 driver to comment really but I think it was a flap controller failure which meant the flaps didn't retract when the nozzles were moved 'forward' and the word on the street was he was the only pilot to have survived this failure. The pic below shows he did well to eject in time! I did his first see-off when he returned to work. Understandably he checked the flaps quite a few times!

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure AVM Harv Smyth, the new UK Space Commander and similarly nice guy was also on 3(F) at the same time.

My wife ended up as a witness to that as she saw it as it flew over her car as she approached the Main Gate on her way to work in SCAF.
This incident (and the three week clean-up after it) changed the views of many of Laarbruch's "Fire Orders" in that the direction of the wind was taken into consideration of "Composite Material Fires" leading to alternate Muster Areas to avoid smoke inhalation from them.

Rigga is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2020, 09:33
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: EGKK
Posts: 79
Happy days, I have the aerobatics trophy 😎
Major Cong is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2020, 09:36
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: EGKK
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by Rigga View Post

I was the last Chief Eng for NPFC/RAF(G)FTC and kept hold of this as we closed the club down. It now hangs in my study / Man cave
Happy days, I have the aerobatics trophy 😎
Major Cong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.