Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Old 13th Feb 2019, 18:39
  #1141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around
Posts: 873
OASC applicants also do a PJFT.
downsizer is offline  
Old 13th Feb 2019, 22:39
  #1142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: glasgow
Posts: 7
It can't all be Capita's fault

So my boy went to Cranwell in September --- he's still no heard yeah or nay. In my very humble opinion, that defines an organisation that is FUBR
RearEntry is offline  
Old 14th Feb 2019, 13:01
  #1143 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,701
Originally Posted by RearEntry View Post
So my boy went to Cranwell in September --- he's still no heard yeah or nay. In my very humble opinion, that defines an organisation that is FUBR
Has he chased them up?
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 15:55
  #1144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: England
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by RearEntry View Post
So my boy went to Cranwell in September --- he's still no heard yeah or nay. In my very humble opinion, that defines an organisation that is FUBR
I went to Cranwell in February 2018, I received an offer this year.
WingsofRoffa is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 07:13
  #1145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by WingsofRoffa View Post


I went to Cranwell in February 2018, I received an offer this year.
Congratulations. I sincerely hope that you had adequate communication with OASC during those 12 months Ďin the holdí?
Bugs to forty is offline  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 11:31
  #1146 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,701
Originally Posted by Bugs to forty View Post


Congratulations. I sincerely hope that you had adequate communication with OASC during those 12 months Ďin the holdí?
According to my source, if not offered a place on the next intake you should be told you will be considered for the following intake. Once again, if not offered a place but still suitable you should be told you will again be considered.

In other words you should have a regular update from the RAF.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2019, 22:15
  #1147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Down South
Posts: 250
What are the opportunities like for those who are not pilots, but wish to become pilots while currently serving?
BVRAAM is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 06:20
  #1148 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by BVRAAM View Post
What are the opportunities like for those who are not pilots, but wish to become pilots while currently serving?
Itís just the same as for any other DE. Being mindful of age limitations, all they have to do is apply online. They have also had tremendous teamwork opportunities; are probably fairly confident; and have evidence of commitment to the Service. That all helps.
Bugs to forty is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 13:49
  #1149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Down South
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Bugs to forty View Post

Itís just the same as for any other DE. Being mindful of age limitations, all they have to do is apply online. They have also had tremendous teamwork opportunities; are probably fairly confident; and have evidence of commitment to the Service. That all helps.
Are the age limits different for those already serving, like they used to be?
BVRAAM is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 16:09
  #1150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by BVRAAM View Post
Are the age limits different for those already serving, like they used to be?
No. Itís all equal now.
Bugs to forty is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2019, 19:51
  #1151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Down South
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by Bugs to forty View Post

No. Itís all equal now.
Wonderful.

What about for non-pilot aircrew?
BVRAAM is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 12:56
  #1152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The sky mainly
Posts: 270
Hi guys, I need some advise so I've hijacked my dads account to ask.

I have been offered the opportunity to attend OASC to take the Pilot Aptitude Testing Battery as part of a flying scholarship selection process. The visit isn't mandatory and will not prejudice my application either way.
Since I will be applying to join the RAF as officer aircrew in the summer, I see this as an opportunity for a 'cheeky heads up' of Cranwell and the OASC weekend. However, it has been pointed out to me that if I attend, my score, good or bad, will remain valid for 12 months and I won't be able to reattend within that period.

If I go and get a good score, brilliant. That can sit on the system for when I apply later in the year.
If I go and get a bad score will this hold up my RAF application process?

I'm thinking that if I apply in June then the application process could take a while and I may not be asked to OASC until March next year anyway. In which case, it might be worth having a 'cheeky shot' at OASC at the end of this March.

Your thoughts please?
Sky Sports is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 18:07
  #1153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 4 Civvy Street. Nowhere-near-a-base. The Shires.
Posts: 560
It's good to know as early as you can whether you have pilot aptitude or not. That way you can replan your University and Career aspirations if required. For what it's worth, I passed Tests in Advance / Flying Scholarship Selection but a year later went for testing again and failed the medical. You just can't predict the future.
camelspyyder is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 18:21
  #1154 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,701
I sought expert advice from a former OASC President. Her advice is if it is purely voluntary, don't do it. As you get older, to about 22, your scores should improve. Also you would not be doing all the tests.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 26th Feb 2019, 07:22
  #1155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
I sought expert advice from a former OASC President. Her advice is if it is purely voluntary, don't do it. As you get older, to about 22, your scores should improve. Also you would not be doing all the tests.
Iím afraid I disagree. The sooner you can have a Ďcheeky shotí, the sooner you can have another go (12 months later) in support of an application if necessary. If you like your score, you keep it for 3 years; if you donít, then submit a proper application later and have another go. This is pretty much how the UAS do it and itís the currently recommended path. Good luck.
Bugs to forty is offline  
Old 20th May 2019, 17:13
  #1156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 27
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered but I canít really find anything. Iím a civilian pilot RHS with a uk based loco that offers some very attractive part time contracts (14on/14off, 21on/7off etc).

Does anyone have any experience of, or know anyone who has taken part time at their airline and then joined the RAF Reserves as a pilot? Is this even possible given the nature of airline rosters / flying limits etc? Are there even any reserve flying positions available? I assume it gets difficult if you were to be deployed in terms of getting the time off from the airline.

My reason for asking is that I joined the airlines straight from flight school, which was straight from college, and I feel that something like this would add a lot to my career / life in general. (Essentially, although I absolutely love the job, and know I still have a lot to learn where I am currently, I can see the honeymoon period wearing off at some point and then the reality of airline flying / cruise monitoring kicking in).

Thanks in advance,

H
Heisenb3rg is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 15:36
  #1157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: England
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Heisenb3rg View Post
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered but I canít really find anything. Iím a civilian pilot RHS with a uk based loco that offers some very attractive part time contracts (14on/14off, 21on/7off etc).

Does anyone have any experience of, or know anyone who has taken part time at their airline and then joined the RAF Reserves as a pilot? Is this even possible given the nature of airline rosters / flying limits etc? Are there even any reserve flying positions available? I assume it gets difficult if you were to be deployed in terms of getting the time off from the airline.

My reason for asking is that I joined the airlines straight from flight school, which was straight from college, and I feel that something like this would add a lot to my career / life in general. (Essentially, although I absolutely love the job, and know I still have a lot to learn where I am currently, I can see the honeymoon period wearing off at some point and then the reality of airline flying / cruise monitoring kicking in).

Thanks in advance,

H
I am sorry to disappoint but the RAF doesnít recruit reserve pilots. The RAF can barely get its regular force pilots through training, from whom they will receive the return of a full career.

Before somebody chimes in, the Army does have a reserve pilot. However, said pilot has a vast career of military aviation behind him.

Why dont you take up gliding or aeros?
WingsofRoffa is offline  
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:00
  #1158 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by WingsofRoffa View Post


I am sorry to disappoint but the RAF doesnít recruit reserve pilots. The RAF can barely get its regular force pilots through training, from whom they will receive the return of a full career.

Before somebody chimes in, the Army does have a reserve pilot. However, said pilot has a vast career of military aviation behind him.

Why dont you take up gliding or aeros?
Maybe Iíve misunderstood but doesnít AirTanker have some sponsored reservists flying part G-Reg ops and part RAF ops?
Heisenb3rg is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2019, 08:32
  #1159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The sky mainly
Posts: 270
Morning all

I've just had my P2 presentation, which was going great until they said that because of the backlog they are taking very very few pilots at the moment!
Anyway, I have my CBAT testing at Cranwell in September and was wondering if anyone knows of any good software or app's that I could practice on. I fully appreciate that its either something that you can do or not, and that's the purpose of aptitude testing, I'm just looking for something to sharpen up the reflexes etc.
Sky Sports is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2019, 01:19
  #1160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: England
Posts: 14
Yup, only 7 of us for October, and 3 for the next sift. Really tight times at the moment, but don't let it put you off.
Flopgun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.