PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 21st May 2019, 15:36
WingsofRoffa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heisenb3rg
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered but I can’t really find anything. I’m a civilian pilot RHS with a uk based loco that offers some very attractive part time contracts (14on/14off, 21on/7off etc).

Does anyone have any experience of, or know anyone who has taken part time at their airline and then joined the RAF Reserves as a pilot? Is this even possible given the nature of airline rosters / flying limits etc? Are there even any reserve flying positions available? I assume it gets difficult if you were to be deployed in terms of getting the time off from the airline.

My reason for asking is that I joined the airlines straight from flight school, which was straight from college, and I feel that something like this would add a lot to my career / life in general. (Essentially, although I absolutely love the job, and know I still have a lot to learn where I am currently, I can see the honeymoon period wearing off at some point and then the reality of airline flying / cruise monitoring kicking in).

Thanks in advance,

H
I am sorry to disappoint but the RAF doesn’t recruit reserve pilots. The RAF can barely get its regular force pilots through training, from whom they will receive the return of a full career.

Before somebody chimes in, the Army does have a reserve pilot. However, said pilot has a vast career of military aviation behind him.

Why dont you take up gliding or aeros?