Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Old 11th Aug 2017, 05:24
  #3281 (permalink)  
JN8
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by RichardK View Post
Great minds think alike. Tried going to your profile but couldn't find a link to privately contact you. Hopefully the one on mine is working, shoot me an email and we can get a group chat going potentially.
Sent you an email, Richard
JN8 is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2017, 00:48
  #3282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by spandexo View Post
Hey JN8 - Congratulations to you and every one else on receiving your invitation for FSP!!!

Just wondering, how long ago did your enlistment coordinator send off your pilot dossier to Tamworth? Just trying to get an idea of the waiting period for an invitation.

Cheers
Hey spandexo,

My dossier was sent off in Early October last year. I was just sent confirmation of my selection for the FSP starting on 3rd September two weeks ago so It can take some time. I had pretty much given up hope. I am a bit of a special case though as my age would have to count against me. I'll be 44 by the time my FSP starts.

Anybody else on here attending the 201735 course?
titanpilot is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2017, 04:16
  #3283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: sydney
Posts: 1
Anyone know if the male ban affects us?
matty1999 is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2017, 10:11
  #3284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by titanpilot View Post
Hey spandexo,

My dossier was sent off in Early October last year. I was just sent confirmation of my selection for the FSP starting on 3rd September two weeks ago so It can take some time. I had pretty much given up hope. I am a bit of a special case though as my age would have to count against me. I'll be 44 by the time my FSP starts.

Anybody else on here attending the 201735 course?
Hey Titan

Thanks for the response and congratulations on your FSP invitation!! Looks like I have a bit of a wait as my dossier was only sent off last week.
spandexo is offline  
Old 12th Aug 2017, 17:12
  #3285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by titanpilot View Post
Hey spandexo,

My dossier was sent off in Early October last year. I was just sent confirmation of my selection for the FSP starting on 3rd September two weeks ago so It can take some time. I had pretty much given up hope. I am a bit of a special case though as my age would have to count against me. I'll be 44 by the time my FSP starts.

Anybody else on here attending the 201735 course?
Hello Titan. I am attending the 201735 Course 3rd September to 16th
VF144 is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 02:05
  #3286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by spandexo View Post
Hey Titan

Thanks for the response and congratulations on your FSP invitation!! Looks like I have a bit of a wait as my dossier was only sent off last week.
Maybe, maybe not. From what I can make out the more competitive you are the quicker it will happen.

I was told when they first sent mine off that all the spots had been filled until the end of the year. They also told me that I was unlikely to get a spot at the start of the year since that is their busy time (I guess filling all the spots with the previous year's school leavers). They told me that after April things got quieter and I might get a spot after that.

As I said though my dossier may not have been as competitive due to my age. I have heard that the really competitive ones can get offers withing a month. Good luck buddy but don't give up if it doesn't happen straight away otherwise you may find yourself cramming in the study and desperately trying to get in shape like I currently am.
titanpilot is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 11:11
  #3287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by titanpilot View Post
Maybe, maybe not. From what I can make out the more competitive you are the quicker it will happen.

I was told when they first sent mine off that all the spots had been filled until the end of the year. They also told me that I was unlikely to get a spot at the start of the year since that is their busy time (I guess filling all the spots with the previous year's school leavers). They told me that after April things got quieter and I might get a spot after that.

As I said though my dossier may not have been as competitive due to my age. I have heard that the really competitive ones can get offers withing a month. Good luck buddy but don't give up if it doesn't happen straight away otherwise you may find yourself cramming in the study and desperately trying to get in shape like I currently am.

Thanks Titan, Fingers crossed it will all happen soon. And yeh I've just started studying up again!!

Best of luck for your FSP/OSB!
spandexo is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 20:14
  #3288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: darwin
Posts: 27
Hi All,

I'm about to sit RAAF Pilot specific testing next week. From what I have worked out from reading on here I should expect questions on the following:

Reading aircraft gauges.
Aircraft spatial orientation tests
Fast maths - estimations
Speed/Distance/Time questions
Memory Numerical tests
Basic decimal multiplication, addition & subtraction.

Am I on the right track with this and is there any advice anyone could give me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
anthos92 is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 23:51
  #3289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by titanpilot View Post
Hey spandexo,

My dossier was sent off in Early October last year. I was just sent confirmation of my selection for the FSP starting on 3rd September two weeks ago so It can take some time. I had pretty much given up hope. I am a bit of a special case though as my age would have to count against me. I'll be 44 by the time my FSP starts.

Anybody else on here attending the 201735 course?
Good luck on your FSP Titan. Good to see there's hope yet for us old boys! I'm 37 in 3 weeks time, and waiting on my FSP call up too.
13Beast is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2017, 02:53
  #3290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NSW
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by 13Beast View Post
Good luck on your FSP Titan. Good to see there's hope yet for us old boys! I'm 37 in 3 weeks time, and waiting on my FSP call up too.
I'll be 35 in November. Also waiting on a call for FSP. My dossier was sent about a month ago. At this rate they'll have to run a "Dad's Army" FSP course.
Thiessi is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2017, 07:41
  #3291 (permalink)  
JN8
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by spandexo View Post
Hey JN8 - Congratulations to you and every one else on receiving your invitation for FSP!!!

Just wondering, how long ago did your enlistment coordinator send off your pilot dossier to Tamworth? Just trying to get an idea of the waiting period for an invitation.

Cheers
Hey spandexo. Thanks. I was pretty lucky - my file was sent up around 18 July. So I guess you could hear something soon, or you could be waiting for a while... Good luck, hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

Looking back over posts from this time last year, it seems like there was a July/Aug 2016 intake at OTS and then nothing until Feb and March 2017, and again a couple in July/Aug 2017. Does anyone know if that's pretty much how it works every year?
JN8 is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2017, 20:56
  #3292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by VF144 View Post
Hello Titan. I am attending the 201735 Course 3rd September to 16th
Hey VF144,

If you want to chat then feel free to send me a PM. I'm currently logged in from my phone on a work break so I'm not sure if I can PM you.
titanpilot is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2017, 20:58
  #3293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by JN8 View Post
Hey spandexo. Thanks. I was pretty lucky - my file was sent up around 18 July. So I guess you could hear something soon, or you could be waiting for a while... Good luck, hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

Looking back over posts from this time last year, it seems like there was a July/Aug 2016 intake at OTS and then nothing until Feb and March 2017, and again a couple in July/Aug 2017. Does anyone know if that's pretty much how it works every year?
I'm not sure if that's how it works for all the services but from what I can see that's the schedule for NEOC (Navy).
titanpilot is offline  
Old 15th Aug 2017, 10:30
  #3294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by JN8 View Post
Hey spandexo. Thanks. I was pretty lucky - my file was sent up around 18 July. So I guess you could hear something soon, or you could be waiting for a while... Good luck, hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

Looking back over posts from this time last year, it seems like there was a July/Aug 2016 intake at OTS and then nothing until Feb and March 2017, and again a couple in July/Aug 2017. Does anyone know if that's pretty much how it works every year?
This year was Feb, March, June, July. No more RAAF recruitment for the rest of the year. I'd imagine 2018 will be similar but I don't imagine the OTS dates will be out until late this year or early 2018.
AT591 is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2017, 04:12
  #3295 (permalink)  
JN8
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 5
Thanks for your responses, titanpilot and AT591
JN8 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2017, 00:09
  #3296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 3
Any late year FSP scheduled?

Hey all,

I'm over the moon as I have my pilot assessment day booked in for September! I was just wondering does anyone know if there are going to be any more Flight screenings this year/ how to find out?
GCcity is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2017, 11:56
  #3297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by GCcity View Post
Hey all,

I'm over the moon as I have my pilot assessment day booked in for September! I was just wondering does anyone know if there are going to be any more Flight screenings this year/ how to find out?
Hey GC unless you're going for ADFA entry its pretty unlikely you'll get a FSP spot this year. Your enlistment coordinator would have to get your file to Tamworth immediately after your assessment session and then have it paper boarded very quickly along with you being at the top of the pool competitiveness-wise after that. They send out FSP offers pretty much bang on a month prior to start.

On the other hand for ADFA entry you've got a good shot assuming you're competitive and DFR moves quickly for you (this can vary greatly! ).
Attached Files
tayra is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 01:10
  #3298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yokohama
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by hansfalkenhagen View Post
Hi everyone,
I was told my dossier was sent off in early June. Nearly three months later I decided to call the Flight Screening Program in Tamworth to see how it was all coming along.
This is something I want to do too, in order to check up on how my application is going. However I rang my enlistment coordinator at DFR for info on how to get in touch with Tamworth and he didn't entertain my request at all, seeming quite clear in that it's not an option for candidates to contact them directly...and yet yourself and quite a few others have been in direct contact with them? How do I go about this? Got me concerned now given the delays you experienced that were only discovered when you actually rang them directly!
13Beast is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 18:05
  #3299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 96
@13Beast, Try googling BAE Systems Tamworth to find a number. Ask to be transferred to the flight screening people. They are actually pretty helpful and happy to speak to you.

I was reading on ABC news a few months back that they are going to develop a flight simulator program for the flight screening program which would mean they can process applicants a lot faster and more efficiently. From what I remember, this won't be implemented 'till about 2021 however.

Last edited by hansfalkenhagen; 29th Aug 2017 at 18:00.
hansfalkenhagen is offline  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 23:33
  #3300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by tayra View Post
Hey GC unless you're going for ADFA entry its pretty unlikely you'll get a FSP spot this year. Your enlistment coordinator would have to get your file to Tamworth immediately after your assessment session and then have it paper boarded very quickly along with you being at the top of the pool competitiveness-wise after that. They send out FSP offers pretty much bang on a month prior to start.

On the other hand for ADFA entry you've got a good shot assuming you're competitive and DFR moves quickly for you (this can vary greatly! ).
Thanks for that tayra, I'm DEO unfortunately but I had a feeling that would be the case!

At any rate I still have to nail assessment day before I worry about it!
GCcity is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.