Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

EK Salary Review Time Again

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

EK Salary Review Time Again

Old 8th Sep 2022, 10:58
  #221 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: London/ New York
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pif Paf View Post
yes they donít like paying for older experienced pilots but they need us, why?

Many years ago, at one of the pilots meetings, we were told that EKs insurance premiums had dropped. EK was very happy! They also explained why.

Airlines have insurance, in some respects similar to car insurance.so aircraft age, number of aircraft, route structure, accident record, safety record, maintenance, hours flown etc all count towards premiums. Also a major factor is pilots ages and experience levels. Too many young, inexperienced pilots mean the premiums go up.

So while senior experienced captains may cost some money in reality they need a proportion of the flight crew to be older and more experienced to balance out the number of young, inexperienced Pilots coming through, in order to keep the insurance companies happy! Also it makes passengers a bit happier knowing thereís some experience on the flight deck?

(plus someone needs to make sure the young, Iíve been flying commercially for 2 years, I therefore know it all, facebook wonder, instagram pasting, Porsche/ Bentley / Ferrari driving (delete as necessary ), I think itís normal to fly in fully reclined position with feet up because itís cool, mobile phone hugging, Iím a sky god type actually remembers heís got to do a job whilst on flight deck)
😀
Plenty of older hands who have decided to reinvent themselves in EK after another failed marriage.

A new Thai girlfriend the same age as their daughter, a new account on tinder with a username like SmoothOperator, big speeches with the crew half their age about going out for ramen and a beer down route and they will buy the first drink (they usually don't turn up) , taking selfies on the steps at the end of the flight doing peace signs closing an eye and sticking a tongue out, giving relationship advice to the new GR2 for an hour in the galley armed with a fairly recently acquired complexed knowledge of star sign compatibility, out on ladies nights at ramusake bopping their head, tapping their foot to the beat and holding a desperado with a lime in it, a new car with a price tag of a small mortgage and a roof that comes off and an apple sticker on it, posts on Instagram of their protein shakes with cheeky captions like 'never skip leg day', walking around airports with an extremely small cup of branded coffee, flying over the pole in their dressing gown and slippers alongside a sizeable collection of the first class amenity kit, a semi-professional origami attempt on their cap, a glove left in the bunk for us because they are now young and trendy.
Mike Koal is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2022, 11:34
  #222 (permalink)  
svp
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: earth
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Koal View Post
Plenty of older hands who have decided to reinvent themselves in EK after another failed marriage.

A new Thai girlfriend the same age as their daughter, a new account on tinder with a username like SmoothOperator, big speeches with the crew half their age about going out for ramen and a beer down route and they will buy the first drink (they usually don't turn up) , taking selfies on the steps at the end of the flight doing peace signs closing an eye and sticking a tongue out, giving relationship advice to the new GR2 for an hour in the galley armed with a fairly recently acquired complexed knowledge of star sign compatibility, out on ladies nights at ramusake bopping their head, tapping their foot to the beat and holding a desperado with a lime in it, a new car with a price tag of a small mortgage and a roof that comes off and an apple sticker on it, posts on Instagram of their protein shakes with cheeky captions like 'never skip leg day', walking around airports with an extremely small cup of branded coffee, flying over the pole in their dressing gown and slippers alongside a sizeable collection of the first class amenity kit, a semi-professional origami attempt on their cap, a glove left in the bunk for us because they are now young and trendy.
star, i have registered here to to agree with you LOL
svp is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2022, 12:49
  #223 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
Anybody would think a recessions on its wayÖ

just got to make sure where you end up is indeed more secure
After the shambolic way in which the company handled the COVID redundancy process, the bar has been set rather low for what constitutes a more secure position.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2022, 15:04
  #224 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
After the shambolic way in which the company handled the COVID redundancy process, the bar has been set rather low for what constitutes a more secure position.
you can hear them now though canít youÖ ďALL companies did the sameĒ

no they didnít .
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2022, 20:04
  #225 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 205
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svp View Post
star, i have registered here to to agree with you LOL
Honestly, sounds pretty awesome!
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2022, 15:14
  #226 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitemonk Returns View Post
Honestly, sounds pretty awesome!
Keyword is sounds
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2022, 02:24
  #227 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: the ridge where the west commences
Posts: 760
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seek help


Dropp the Pilot is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2022, 17:19
  #228 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropp

Stop taking the forum and yourself so seriously. Learn some Aussie humility (thatís an oxymoron. Ironic)
​​​
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2022, 15:05
  #229 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Fibbers
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK only gave 4 percent when inflations creeping up to 10 but this is a one off. Next year they are anticipating above inflation pay rises they say.
McToryMug is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2022, 15:19
  #230 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McToryMug View Post
EK only gave 4 percent when inflations creeping up to 10 but this is a one off. Next year they are anticipating above inflation pay rises they say.
who says ?Ö.
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2022, 20:08
  #231 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: London/ New York
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People should be happy with 4 percent. that's a good pay rise compared to many places and the extra few dirhams will go a long way.
Mike Koal is offline  
Old 17th Sep 2022, 19:40
  #232 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Internet
Posts: 79
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike with those sentiments you could possibly be the DCPB from Germany!
Pif Paf is offline  
Old 17th Sep 2022, 21:10
  #233 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,673
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pif Paf View Post
Mike with those sentiments you could possibly be the DCPB from Germany!
Thatís Gold.😁😁😁
SOPS is online now  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 04:27
  #234 (permalink)  
svp
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: earth
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pilots with highest paid jobs here, yet they complain about a pay rise or not good salary.

where else would you get this much anyway? no where in Europe or us would you get this much
svp is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 05:43
  #235 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 744
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't take much cash to impress that East German. Stasinomics!
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 14:25
  #236 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai Hills
Age: 36
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
Wouldn't take much cash to impress that East German. Stasinomics!
Zum kotzen.
It turned out.. very expandable like most DCPB's. What's that word again..? Karma. In Sha'a Allah.

There is an irish bulldog now doing the dirty work. Has learnt from the best it seems.

Last edited by Shazeem; 18th Sep 2022 at 14:37.
Shazeem is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 14:29
  #237 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai Hills
Age: 36
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Koal View Post
People should be happy with 4 percent. that's a good pay rise compared to many places and the extra few dirhams will go a long way.
You might be correct. ​​​​​​Compared to which places? How many dirhams is a few?
Shazeem is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 15:07
  #238 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svp View Post
pilots with highest paid jobs here, yet they complain about a pay rise or not good salary.

where else would you get this much anyway? no where in Europe or us would you get this much
Europe in general agreed
US - have a closer look what they pay now
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 16:26
  #239 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 400
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svp View Post
pilots with highest paid jobs here, yet they complain about a pay rise or not good salary.

where else would you get this much anyway? no where in Europe or us would you get this much
gross I al not that far off in Europe. Well now maybe with only 3,71 AED to the Drachme.
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2022, 16:37
  #240 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Mumbai Radio
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Originally Posted by Pif Paf View Post
yes they donít like paying for older experienced pilots but they need us, why?

Many years ago, at one of the pilots meetings, we were told that EKs insurance premiums had dropped. EK was very happy! They also explained why.

Airlines have insurance, in some respects similar to car insurance.so aircraft age, number of aircraft, route structure, accident record, safety record, maintenance, hours flown etc all count towards premiums. Also a major factor is pilots ages and experience levels. Too many young, inexperienced pilots mean the premiums go up.

So while senior experienced captains may cost some money in reality they need a proportion of the flight crew to be older and more experienced to balance out the number of young, inexperienced Pilots coming through, in order to keep the insurance companies happy! Also it makes passengers a bit happier knowing thereís some experience on the flight deck?

(plus someone needs to make sure the young, Iíve been flying commercially for 2 years, I therefore know it all, facebook wonder, instagram pasting, Porsche/ Bentley / Ferrari driving (delete as necessary ), I think itís normal to fly in fully reclined position with feet up because itís cool, mobile phone hugging, Iím a sky god type actually remembers heís got to do a job whilst on flight deck)
😀

I wonder if you truly believe what you just wrote. Pilot age or experience has nothing to do with safety records these days. And it is a shame if any insurance company still uses that as a criteria. Most of recent accidents (the shameful ones at least) happened only with experienced and eventually aged pilots. Even with more than 2 pilots on the flight deck.

How qualified those pilots are, and how skilled, is what really matters. And that - as a standard - you won't find from A330s crashing into the ocean to 777s stalling over the sea wall or even after retracting the L/G over the runway.


(I do agree with your description of what we can call "tik tok generation", however).

Latestormer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.