Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

EK ads on TV (UK)

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

EK ads on TV (UK)

Old 21st Jun 2019, 21:19
  #1 (permalink)  
CH3CH2OH
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Pub
Posts: 480
EK ads on TV (UK)

Donít recall seeing EK ads on TV before, is this a new trend? Just seen one on C4 (21:15 ish).
5711N0205W is online now  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 03:30
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dusty West
Age: 49
Posts: 596
They're doing it in North America too....I guess the product is crappy enough to have to try to convince to public to fly with them.
The Outlaw is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 10:00
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Pit and Lovin' It.
Posts: 844
By that logic the US majors would have to up their advertising budget by about 1000%.

Hate on EK all you want, and yes their product has probably slipped over time with their growth and cost-cutting, but to describe it as "crappy" compared to any North American offering is hilarious.

Or just someone who's never flown on both.

Last edited by nolimitholdem; 22nd Jun 2019 at 11:36.
nolimitholdem is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 14:32
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dusty West
Age: 49
Posts: 596
Nolimiit,

You can defend EK all you want, but if the product is good then customers will come to you, not the other way around. I never insinuated that EK was being compared to the North American carriers. Americans want cheap airfare and they got what they asked for, I don't defend any NA carrier by any stretch of the imagination. Compared to what EK used to offer for service they have certainly slipped into the crappy zone by comparison. Etihad and Singapore Airlines offered far better value for money.

Last edited by The Outlaw; 23rd Jun 2019 at 13:04.
The Outlaw is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 11:06
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: not in Dubai anymore
Age: 89
Posts: 712
its called Emiratisation, the locals took over and destroyed the airline, screwed up the lifestyle of the infidels and they left, now you have planes grounded and nothing works anymore, look at Gulfair, same thing happened there
GoreTex is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:03
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 208
Originally Posted by nolimitholdem View Post
By that logic the US majors would have to up their advertising budget by about 1000%.

Hate on EK all you want, and yes their product has probably slipped over time with their growth and cost-cutting, but to describe it as "crappy" compared to any North American offering is hilarious.
That's true. Pretty much better everything (for customers). In a couple of years you'll have ladies born in the 21st century serving on EK flights. That won't happen in the US majors for another 75 years or more.
JAARule is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 13:51
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by JAARule View Post
That's true. Pretty much better everything (for customers). In a couple of years you'll have ladies born in the 21st century serving on EK flights. That won't happen in the US majors for another 75 years or more.
Something worth advertising on the list of pilot benefits
A320LGW is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2019, 18:19
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Pit and Lovin' It.
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by The Outlaw View Post
Nolimiit,

You can defend EK all you want, but if the product is good then customers will come to you, not the other way around. I never insinuated that EK was being compared to the North American carriers. Americans want cheap airfare and they got what they asked for, I don't defend any NA carrier by any stretch of the imagination. Compared to what EK used to offer for service they have certainly slipped into the crappy zone by comparison. Etihad and Singapore Airlines offered far better value for money.
Wasn't defending EK at all, was defending logic and reason. Hate to break it to you but Etihad and Singapore both also have big advertising budgets.

Just thought an American stating that EK is advertising because their product is crap is amusingly ironic to the point of tears. Time to grab the old mirror for a quick look.
nolimitholdem is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2019, 03:59
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dusty West
Age: 49
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by nolimitholdem View Post
Wasn't defending EK at all, was defending logic and reason. Hate to break it to you but Etihad and Singapore both also have big advertising budgets.

Just thought an American stating that EK is advertising because their product is crap is amusingly ironic to the point of tears. Time to grab the old mirror for a quick look.
What is ironic and amusing to the point of tears is that you think that I'm American! Might be time for you to grab that same mirror and take a look your own self and quit making wrong assumptions!

The Outlaw is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2019, 05:02
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: usa
Posts: 1,007
Thread reminds me of the good ole days on PPRuNe...
fliion is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2019, 11:47
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Pit and Lovin' It.
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by The Outlaw View Post
What is ironic and amusing to the point of tears is that you think that I'm American! Might be time for you to grab that same mirror and take a look your own self and quit making wrong assumptions!

Oh dear, I incorrectly assumed only an American would be grasping enough to suggest that EK is advertising in the US due to having a "crap" product.

So what IS your excuse then? Just bitter?
nolimitholdem is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2019, 13:25
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dusty West
Age: 49
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by nolimitholdem View Post
Oh dear, I incorrectly assumed only an American would be grasping enough to suggest that EK is advertising in the US due to having a "crap" product.

So what IS your excuse then? Just bitter?
Not at all, the bitterness seems to be your thing, especially against the American's it seems.

Many nationalities have called EK's product inferior compared to other carriers in the Asia and it simply is not what it used to be. That's the point you've missed somehow.
The Outlaw is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2019, 15:53
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Midlands
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by 5711N0205W View Post
Donít recall seeing EK ads on TV before, is this a new trend? Just seen one on C4 (21:15 ish).
Emirates have advertised on UK TV plenty of times in the past (the Keep Discovering / Hello Tomorrow campaigns certainly were). They probably have to work harder now as thereís more competition, and due to finances they seem to do less big sporting sponsorships (which probably releases funds for advertising).

The product isnít as good as it used to be, but then all but a few airlines have actually got better this century.
Odins Raven is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2019, 23:31
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 86
They have advertised for years Iím the UK. London-Dubai is one of the most lucrative routes in the world.

Jennifer Aniston was the face for a few years.

EK business is still a very good product far superior to anything west of Qatar.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2019, 07:41
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: A cut above
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
They have advertised for years Iím the UK. London-Dubai is one of the most lucrative routes in the world.

Jennifer Aniston was the face for a few years.

EK business is still a very good product far superior to anything west of Qatar.
AIMINGHIGH123 Long time no see around here. Have you got your PMs disabled?
whatsyourbeef is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2019, 22:49
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
They have advertised for years I’m the UK. London-Dubai is one of the most lucrative routes in the world.

Jennifer Aniston was the face for a few years.

EK business is still a very good product far superior to anything west of Qatar.


Qantas, Virgin Atlantic and Royal Brunei have all stopped DXB-LHR recently. LHR is a money spinner for EK but the majority of pax connect elsewhere to and from LHR.

EK business is still a very good product far superior to anything west of Qatar.

I was the slimmest person in the queue at McDonalds a few days ago but that doesn't make me Brad Pitt's long lost twin brother. ;-)
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2019, 16:02
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 54N
Posts: 29
Devil

Originally Posted by GoreTex View Post
its called Emiratisation, the locals took over and destroyed the airline, screwed up the lifestyle of the infidels and they left, now you have planes grounded and nothing works anymore, look at Gulfair, same thing happened there
Let me add to that:

"With the assistance of those highly qualified people from the Big Island up North
Neektu is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2019, 20:43
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by Neektu View Post


Let me add to that:

"With the assistance of those highly qualified people from the Big Island up North
True. They are good at that.
tomuchwork is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.