Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

EK : Command Upgrade

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

EK : Command Upgrade

Old 28th Jun 2019, 14:10
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: not at home
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so glad that I left this region months ago!!!

Had my experience there, don't miss my life in ME at all!!! This is one reason, read the questions from the guy who opened this discussion and you see, which direction these companies are drifting..
Spoiled kid got the money for their pilot training and is dreaming from shiny jet operation and the big money.
Beeing a pilot and managing a normal ops day could be so easy, but people in ME tend to make it so difficult and horrible for someone
NightVMC is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2019, 23:53
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere near an Airport
Age: 41
Posts: 346
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aiza View Post
Good Afternoon,

I have read the past the threads of EK, sadly the current airline I work for doesn't treat their FO well. Sadly, it's become a race to the bottom.

I grew up reading PPRuNe and before i took this flying career. My current airline has a AED 150 k bond.

I meet the minimum requirements of EK FO, probably have more hours too, never failed a lpc, opc, lc written test etc. No letters/verbals/ incident, etc from the company either.

My current company is luring the FO's that the command course is starting at 3000 hours.

Flying with so many dec's and upgraded Fo's, the captains here fly too stressed( New Fo's) , are paid less and do just so many engineering stuff for free. Well that's how low cos work.

I never felt myself wanting to be a narrow body captain or fly single aisle tubes.

I fly one now because i presumed they pay more but sadly they don't. Average FO salary here is 25000 AED or maybe 35000 AED if you have 3000 hours plus, all inclusive. Uniform, loss of license premium, bag, Emirates id, Security tag for Parking etc etc is paid from pocket.

All this ignoring flying with over controlling legendary veterans who Have their own personalized SOPs, micro -manage anything and everything, even the very little brightness knob of the FO SIDE PFD!!!!.

I wouldn't blame them too much either cause we have just too many trainees.

And its always the FO'S fault here.

Then There are those nice guys that i would hats off cause they are the best . That's an odd 10 percent of 250 line Captains here.

And then there are the company negatives .

I Still the pay the loan that my dad took for my training and I'm still in my early twenties.

Looking at Ek command minimum age is 30 and the odds of me being accepted and surviving till the end of my career in EK, is holding me back from submitting my application.

I'm from the sub -continent, made dubai my home ( Not) i have no home in my country either.

Ek looks like paradise to me from here. The 777/ 380s are too shiny. Come on, It HAS to be better than sharjah airlines.

I have spoken to a lot of people about this, my would be wifey is a bit worried too. She would as well bite me if i lose my current job.

I understand this a rumor network, but still, i wish to get advice from EK Pilots.

Should i apply? Would i be accepted? Is the wait to command worth it?. Is it better?.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your time.















Aiza,


You remind a mate of mine, who told me the same thing before leaving to EK from your airline. I advised him not to leave. He didn’t bother.


After 2 years at EK, with a warning letter, he just couldn’t take it at EK, he is back to your airline and probably released as captain now.

Whichever airline you go, you’ll find captains like that. Probably you’ll be one, when you become a capt, who knows.

So take it easy. With that kind of bond, If I were you, I would wait till command.


PS: You got to seriously improve on your English.

Last edited by Flyboy_SG; 14th Jul 2019 at 07:14.
Flyboy_SG is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 00:29
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: everywhere
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy_SG View Post




Aiza,


You remind a mate of mine, who told me the same thing before leaving to EK from your airline. I advised him not to leave. He didn’t bother.


After 2 years at EK, with a warning letter, he just couldn’t take it at EK, he is back to your airline and probably released as captain now.

Whichever airline you go, you’ll find captains like that. Probably you’ll be one, when you become a capt, who knows.

So take it easy. With that kind of bond, If I were you, I would wait till command.


PS: You seriously go to improve on your English.
This is some of the best irony i've seen on here in a long time
A320LGW is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2019, 07:15
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere near an Airport
Age: 41
Posts: 346
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A320LGW View Post
This is some of the best irony i've seen on here in a long time

Typing mistake. Thanks for pointing out.
Flyboy_SG is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 08:45
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Location
Age: 33
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ek time to command .

Hey guys ,
joining shortly on the T7 , wanted to know whatís the average time to command at the outfit . A low time capt on the 73, airline got bankrupt, all other outfits in the region has pathetic T&Cís.
Many thanks .
Flyboy_73NG is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 10:53
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 231
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyboy 73NG

Pretty pathetically written comments / question from you.

Maybe you should have asked your questions at the interview, and not here, as this is a rumour site.

Still, EK will sort you out.
gehenna is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 12:06
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,778
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of joke asking that now ! But typical of the" new" EK
fatbus is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 14:02
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Location
Age: 33
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorting out !

Originally Posted by gehenna View Post
Flyboy 73NG

Pretty pathetically written comments / question from you.

Maybe you should have asked your questions at the interview, and not here, as this is a rumour site.

Still, EK will sort you out.
Thanks for your wonderful reply & sharing your experience, I assume itís been bad 😬 . And yeah I do look forward to the sorting out .
Happy landings
Flyboy_73NG is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 14:04
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Location
Age: 33
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatbus View Post
Bit of joke asking that now ! But typical of the" new" EK
well fatbus , glad I am not the only one asking this question and I see nothing wrong in asking it .
Happy landings
Flyboy_73NG is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 17:59
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: London
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon on 7-10 yrs for new joiner upgrades.

Upgrading around 150 per year and thereís 2000 in the queue in front of you. Less those who don't wait around.
Adam Barfy is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2019, 18:14
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Location
Age: 33
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Barfy View Post
I reckon on 7-10 yrs for new joiner upgrades.

Upgrading around 150 per year and thereís 2000 in the queue in front of you. Less those who don't wait around.
Thank you Adam .
happy landings
Flyboy_73NG is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 07:39
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam is probably about right. No expansion on the 777 for the foreseeable future but plenty of people leaving. 7-10 sounds about right. The days of fast commands in less than 5 years are well and truly over.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 11:09
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MIDDLE EAST
Posts: 1,035
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam/Big Geordie

Not sure who has provided those figures for you but you're both well out regarding numbers.

Upgrades for the year are running around the 350+ mark. There are slightly more on the B777 due to experience level requirements for the 380, hence the need for B777 Captains to come across. Last I heard was around 15 per month upgrading on the 380, 20 on the B777. The latter fleet is currently over crewed but will stay that way to cover the delayed introduction of the 777X and possible early arrival of the 787. Pass rates are around 93% or thereabouts. Recruitment is about 45 per month with a bias towards recruiting more onto the 380. Pass rates for conversion courses is around 95%. If you delay joining by a year, 12 months later you'll have 450 pilots above you!

Obviously, these figures and plans change. They often do in EK, the only constant here being change itself! If you were to ask my realistic guess for upgrade time....I'd say 5-6 years tops. Remember, about 50% of the pilots are due to retire in the next 10 years anyway. This may be the calm before the storm in regards to upgrades and recruitment.

Harry
harry the cod is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 13:33
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Location
Age: 33
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harry the cod View Post
Adam/Big Geordie

Not sure who has provided those figures for you but you're both well out regarding numbers.

Upgrades for the year are running around the 350+ mark. There are slightly more on the B777 due to experience level requirements for the 380, hence the need for B777 Captains to come across. Last I heard was around 15 per month upgrading on the 380, 20 on the B777. The latter fleet is currently over crewed but will stay that way to cover the delayed introduction of the 777X and possible early arrival of the 787. Pass rates are around 93% or thereabouts. Recruitment is about 45 per month with a bias towards recruiting more onto the 380. Pass rates for conversion courses is around 95%. If you delay joining by a year, 12 months later you'll have 450 pilots above you!

Obviously, these figures and plans change. They often do in EK, the only constant here being change itself! If you were to ask my realistic guess for upgrade time....I'd say 5-6 years tops. Remember, about 50% of the pilots are due to retire in the next 10 years anyway. This may be the calm before the storm in regards to upgrades and recruitment.

Harry
Thank you for your insight Harry .
Flyboy_73NG is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 17:33
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry may well be right and as he says, nobody really knows. I would add that the 380 fleet will start shrinking after 2021, partly offset by the delivery of 330neo/350 but who knows how many of those will turn up and how quickly.
I'm not sure that 50% of us are due to retire in the next decade though, it is quite a young workforce.
The take home message is that this is no longer the place to come for a sure-fire quick command. You have been warned.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 19th Jul 2019, 18:10
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,778
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way too many variables involved and why should a new hire be concerned about it on this forum , after the interveriw and job offer. Judging from his previous employer he sounds like he's not committed to EK and wants a LHS more then the EK job . Was involved in the recruitment years ago and it was obvious and get rejected but now EK is desperate they will basically hire anyone !
fatbus is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.