Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Fragrant Harbour
Reload this Page >

Challenge to a Feckless Management

Fragrant Harbour A forum for the large number of pilots (expats and locals) based with the various airlines in Hong Kong. Air Traffic Controllers are also warmly welcomed into the forum.

Challenge to a Feckless Management

Old 13th Jan 2019, 16:00
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No where
Posts: 1
Challenge to a Feckless Management

In the latest issue of Flying magazine (Jan/Feb 19), on pg 64, there is an article entitled "This did not Happen". An indictment of the Air France 447 crash into the Atlantic. More to the point, it alludes to the loss of experience, judgement and airman ship that is now becoming endemic in our industry.

I will simply say that it is worth the read, and in particular, the last sentence is all that is needed to highlight all that is wrong with the direction that our management have taken CX in over the past 20 years. There will be more AF 447's. There will be a "CX 447" at some point...sadly.

I also suspect that as with most things, our management are deaf, dumb and blind.

Last edited by Air Profit; 13th Jan 2019 at 16:14.
Air Profit is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 18:04
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: nfa
Posts: 125
And when the inevitable does happen, our own Cathay management with be driving the bus that they publicly throw under the operating crew and any/every trainer that's every signed them off.

"But we trusted our pilots to be trained properly", anonymous Cathay spokesman.
bm330 is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 19:02
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Polar Route
Posts: 8
This is exactly correct, but it doesn’t matter. That battle was already lost when CX scraped the very bottom of the “pilot” ranks with their ridiculous C scale.The trainers kept signing off guys who can’t taxi, land, or even talk on the radios. “Ah, they’ll learn what they need on the line...”, making every captain a training captain on every flight. Then throw in the very fatiguing CMP patterns, and it’s getting close to game over. It’s disgusting, and now these guys are on the GC and represent a majority of CX pilots. Hence the very weak kneed TA, yet it all started with A scalers not being willing to fight back in 1993!
cxorcist is offline  
Old 13th Jan 2019, 20:29
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: England
Posts: 583
Originally Posted by cxorcist View Post
This is exactly correct, but it doesn’t matter. That battle was already lost when CX scraped the very bottom of the “pilot” ranks with their ridiculous C scale.The trainers kept signing off guys who can’t taxi, land, or even talk on the radios. “Ah, they’ll learn what they need on the line...”, making every captain a training captain on every flight. Then throw in the very fatiguing CMP patterns, and it’s getting close to game over. It’s disgusting, and now these guys are on the GC and represent a majority of CX pilots. Hence the very weak kneed TA, yet it all started with A scalers not being willing to fight back in 1993!
No, it all started with B Scalers undercutting the A Scale...
Kitsune is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 04:06
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Polar Route
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post

No, it all started with B Scalers undercutting the A Scale...
Actually Kitsune, you have highlighted the exact problem. When you expect new joiners to fight your battles for you, the battle is lost. (Not that you guys ever fought.) B scalers are equally culpable for C scale, and now all for CoS18. You sir, and your ilk, are THE problem. I include myself in that to the extent that my group hasn’t learnt from history.
cxorcist is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 04:42
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: HK
Posts: 14
And yet AF447 happened at an airline with one of the strongest union cultures of anywhere in the world and one that doesn't have a C scale. I don't know what the answer is - mandate x% of all hours/ approached flown a year must be hand flown? Which would likely cause more accidents than automation if you compare pre- FBW/ autopilot safety records with today's.
Freehills is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 05:23
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 169
So much bs flies here A scalers FO sold out the start of B scale in cosap 94 because they were told if you dont accept this deal....no commands for you.....then after they signed they brought in ASL and blocked their commands anyway..

they should have striked then.....but no its death of a thousand cuts....and we are like abused spouses....we keep coming back for more shit dumped on us and then think company loves us
Scoreboard is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 05:51
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: uk
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Scoreboard View Post
So much bs flies here A scalers FO sold out the start of B scale in cosap 94 because they were told if you dont accept this deal....no commands for you.....then after they signed they brought in ASL and blocked their commands anyway..

they should have striked then.....but no its death of a thousand cuts....and we are like abused spouses....we keep coming back for more shit dumped on us and then think company loves us
You used the word "strike". Naughty boy. Not a single pilot in CX has the balls to to that and management know it.
unitedabx is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 07:11
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: HK
Posts: 14

Data set starts in 1970. Flying has become considerably safer over last 20 years.
Freehills is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 13:30
  #10 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: No where
Posts: 1
If anyone is still pondering whether to stay or leave CX, ask you self a simple question: consider management attacks against it's pilots for going on now for almost 25 years, and ask yourself, "will it get better, or will it get worse". I think we all know what the answer to that question is. Makes the decision to leave a very simple one.
Air Profit is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.