Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

applying for RAF

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

applying for RAF

Search this Thread

Old 13th Apr 2004, 16:54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
applying for RAF

Hi there, im 16 and am due to sit my higher exams in 3 weeks time - should be fun Anyway i think i should do ok seeing as i rarely put my books down and my past paper marks are quite pleasing. Ive applied for a master degree course in aeronautical engineering at glasgow university and will hopefully join the university air squadron if i start.

I was hoping i could be sponsored by the RAF as my funds are very low and i dream about being a pilot every day.

can anyone tell me how to aquire sponsorship form the RAF? I am a big fan of discovery wings and saw a programme of the students at RAF Cranwell. The course seemed great fun aswell as hard work and everyone seemed as enthusiastic as i am!

anyway if anyone can tell me how to aquire any sponsorship itd be much appreciated.

thanx for taking time to read my message

harri.
Old 13th Apr 2004, 20:51

The UAS is an excellent place to start. As I understand it, you will do well to receive a 3 year sponsorship, but may be awarded one later on in your university carreer/jolly.

At Officer and Aircrew Selection (can't remember the new name for it - long time ago for me!), I'd advise a bit of quiet arrogance, and tell them that you're joining to be a pilot, and pilot only. If you put down other brances that you'd accept, the danger is that if you're a borderline case, they might take the easy option of sending you to the RAF Regt (fine fellows, of course) or whatever. It also shows some drive, and an unwillingness to take second best (no offence, navs etc).

Nowadays, you're assessed for your future pilot ability at UAS, and while the RAF will tell you that your degree comes first, your future aircraft type depends on how well you perform in the air at UAS. Don't let this deter you, but be advised, to get the best degree you can (which you MUST do) and to fly as well as you can will require self-discipline and hard work.

Note, above all, that the UAS is a fantastic opportunity, and arguably the best way to join up as aircrew. You will love university life and the UAS.

Get stuck in!
Old 14th Apr 2004, 10:42

joining RAF

Hi there,

I have just finished IOT at Cranwell and was a bursar on the University of London Air Sqn (while studying Aerospace Eng at Queen Mary University, London).

Your doing the right thing by studying hard for your highers (I too went through the Scottish system with Highers and CSYS). At the moment the RAF is difficult to get into as a Pilot because of all sorts of issues with the training system, but do not worry about this and stay focused on achieving your aim!

My top tips are:

- Study hard for all your exams and get the best grades possible (goes without saying really)
- Apply for a University Bursary (liase with your Armed Forces Careers Office)
- Whether you are sponsored or not, join the UAS and enjoy flying the Tutor at Leuchars.

Basically, do your best and see what happens. When it comes to OASC be yourself and make sure you have prepared as much as possible. The more you have looked into current affairs, the RAF itself, aircraft etc the less pressure you will be under in the interview for a start!

Hope all goes well - Best of luck!

Woo Woo

The link below was posted by Grimweasel and is an excellent way to prepare yourself for some of the Speed/Distance/Time problems thrown at you at OASC. The questions are a little out of date but just as effective for you to practice.

http://www.timc.clara.net/raf.htm
Old 14th Apr 2004, 19:11

If you join Glasgow university you will be joining UGSAS. They fly out of Glasgow International airport, which is a pain in the arse. Not Leuchars
Old 15th Apr 2004, 09:59

All previous advice spot on. They are still recruiting pilots (I just got in), but not very many. Make sure that you read up on OASC, what you have to do whilst you are there, and what they are looking for in potential officers. I will also repeat what has already been said, just to emphasise these points. Be yourself, that is who you want them to select, and if you want to be a pilot, put only that, and stick to your guns - even if they try and persuade you into putting another branch down.
Good luck, PM me if you need any further questions answering, I was there last December.
TMA.
Old 16th Apr 2004, 19:14

Harri 1888
First, you will need to brush up on your writing.
If you aspire to a commission in the RAF, you will be required to do proper (Service) writing which does not yet recognise texting or internet lazyness when using the English language.
As an aside, like the present government, we are employing more Scots to run the outfit, particularly pilots, since the have heard every cloud has got a silver lining.
Best of luck in your future
Old 16th Apr 2004, 19:18
FFP

buoy15,

Might want to check your reply is "squeaky" before attacking other post . . . . . . .
Old 16th Apr 2004, 19:26

Contrary to the above post, I wouldn't worry too much about your level of written English. I do not remember having to take a written exam during selection. I have certainly seen enough examples of piss-poor grammar and spelling from commissioned officers to be certain that it didn't play a major part in their selection.

Do your best and good luck with your efforts to join.

Buoy, I'm sure the above post was banter, and so you won't mind me pointing out that this is how you spell 'laziness'. Also, one of your sentences does not make sense, maybe the 'the' should have been something longer. Let he who is without sin......
Old 16th Apr 2004, 19:40

Here here,

There are an awful lot more things to get sorted for selection before you look at English. I do not recall anyone being seriously hampered by lack of skill in that area during selection, IOT or life as a JP. Yes, it will feature later - but don't sweat it now.

MT
Old 16th Apr 2004, 19:45
FFP

I agree. Leave it to the ISS tutors. Red ink was invented for a reason !!
Old 17th Apr 2004, 12:02

thanks everyone

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has taken time to reply - the information is much appreciated

I'm pleased to hear that my english is not frowned upon as you probably can see english isn't one of my best subjects.

I will certainly join the air squadron at glasgow - even if i have to fly out of glasgow

I will certainly be myself - I usually am so that shouldn't be a problem

thanks again. harri
Old 28th May 2004, 11:12

I went through OASC at Cranwell last summer, going for a sixth form scholarship. I didn't quite cut the mustard, obviously messed up part 2. In october I'm off to Bath to study Aeronautical Engineering too; should I apply for a bursary after my first year? Or just wait till I finish?
Another thing that has been playing on my mind is whether or not its a big thing to have screwed up first time round?

Nick
Old 28th May 2004, 11:34

ND

Hard luck with OASC! Very much the same story for me a few years ago. Don't let failure deter you from your goals.

Presumably there is a UAS attacthed to Bath Univeristy, in which case, apply to them in September at the Fresher's Fair. If succesful you will be an unsponsored member of the squadron but you will recieve all the same training for free.

The UAS is a great place to nurture potential and if you reapply after one year at uni/on the UAS I'm sure you'll do better.
Old 28th May 2004, 13:31

Harri,

Totally agree with all the above, including the not worrying too much about written English. Definitely get in there with an application to OASC ASAP, you will be lucky to get a slot to be interviewed for a university bursary for your first year, but if you do, be prepared to get knocked back and take it on the chin. The RAF are recruiting 1.5 pilots per week at the moment, you will be up against final year UAS mates, some with high EFT (elementary flying training) passes and large heads to compete with.

THE SITUATION WILL GET BETTER!!!!

So, if you don't get it first time, get yourself down to the UAS - I would pre-empt the freshers' fair and give them a call in September and book your own interview.

If you get to OASC, I advise the following:

Make a chronological list starting at senior school, year by year, of what you have done with your life. Include all sports, achievements, oppurtunities and even holidays. You will be asked a series of questions starting with "What, if any blah blah blah have you done?" They don't want to hear what year you were in, but the calender year. I wasted lots of time in my interview trying to remember what year I was doing what at school. Also, if you weren't in the ATC/CCF, don't play the "I've always wanted to be an RAF pilot" card as you will be backed into a corner, better to say that you decided as you became more mature in your final year of school.

You also have to project your voice and speak clearly, you will be giving and receiving lots or orders in the "jungle gym" under scrutiny from the board.

As has been mentioned before, don't let them bully you into a second branch choice. As much as anything else, they are testing your determination.

Perhaps most importantly of all, don't be deterred by the to$$ers you are going through with who claim to have all sorts of military experience and manifest their aviation tales in the bar. Mostly, they are bulls**tting to cover up for some other inadequacy, and are in no way more suitable candidates than a total rookie to the game.

In summary, you have to show them that you WANT that commission, tell them why you're worth it and be well read on military and current affairs.

Right, back to the finals revision until I find another distraction!!

Good luck,

GF

Edited to evade grammatical criticism from Buoy
Old 29th May 2004, 20:43

Hey Harri,
Some great advice here, but, as I understand it, you need to have a certain amount of aptitude for flying. I am fairly well informed that the OASC has a method of testing your ability in this department. Fail it, and you're stacking shelves no matter how good you come across in the interviews, group tests etc.
Old 30th May 2004, 03:09

Nick / Slow

Bristol UAS recruit from Bath uni, flying out of a sleepy hollow known as Colerne, that's actually much nearer to Bath than it is to Bristol itself.

All the best!
Old 30th May 2004, 09:18

I do realise I made a total prick of myself...didn't show that I'm not actually all that stupid...
I have actually been to OASC at Cranwell, but I messed up part two (that was a year ago now)
I do intend on joining the UAS at Bristol....speaking of which, does anyone have any idea whether or not I'd have to redo the apptitude tests, seen as I passed them last summer? I know I have to redo the medical, but the UAS weren't really sure about the apptitude tests?

Thanks
Nick
Old 30th May 2004, 12:18

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nick - If you've taken the tests before then you can either retake them or choose to have your old results carried over, I think. There is a time limit though so you'd need to speak to OASC.

Harri - good luck. Most of the above advice is fairly sound, don't worry too much about the aptitude tests, they test for just that - aptitude - which you've either got or you ain't. Doesn't hurt to brush up on mental aritmetic (speed, distance, time, Peter leaves A at 0800 which is twenty miles from B and Derek leaves C at 0830 which is.....that kind of thing), also IQ tests get you in the puzzle solving frame of mind.
Old 30th May 2004, 18:18
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What Buoy 15 meant was attention to detail. If you do get your capitalisation wrong, badly mispuncutate and miss-spell easy words, the message you put across is not illiteracy but carelessness.

To avoid Buoy 15's error, and much as do as I say not what I am doing, craft your replies in a word processor, spell checkem, and then paste them into a message.

I an interview film we were shown, circa 1960s, the candidate had a button down short, which was unusually in the air force. He also had long hair. Neither were negative points. What was negative was the fact his collar was not buttoned down and his hair was not properly combed or brushed - attention to detail.

Many young men wear earings. Some aircrew have holes in their ears. I have not seen any aircrew wear earings (males that is). Conforming to ones peer group and team work is everything, at least early on.
Old 30th May 2004, 18:45

Nick

If you have only done the aptitude tests once before you will have to do them again. Only your highest score will count. Most people do improve the second time they do it and there is no point in missing an opportunity to get an even more competitive score if you can.

Can I also advise anyone applying for pilot it is probably a better idea to postpone Cranwell visits till next April if at all possible - OASC have already assigned over 75% of pilot places for the year due to a mix up in figures last April.

Good luck to you all!

Minstral

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.