PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - applying for RAF
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2004, 13:31
Grand Fromage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harri,

Totally agree with all the above, including the not worrying too much about written English. Definitely get in there with an application to OASC ASAP, you will be lucky to get a slot to be interviewed for a university bursary for your first year, but if you do, be prepared to get knocked back and take it on the chin. The RAF are recruiting 1.5 pilots per week at the moment, you will be up against final year UAS mates, some with high EFT (elementary flying training) passes and large heads to compete with.

THE SITUATION WILL GET BETTER!!!!

So, if you don't get it first time, get yourself down to the UAS - I would pre-empt the freshers' fair and give them a call in September and book your own interview.

If you get to OASC, I advise the following:

Make a chronological list starting at senior school, year by year, of what you have done with your life. Include all sports, achievements, oppurtunities and even holidays. You will be asked a series of questions starting with "What, if any blah blah blah have you done?" They don't want to hear what year you were in, but the calender year. I wasted lots of time in my interview trying to remember what year I was doing what at school. Also, if you weren't in the ATC/CCF, don't play the "I've always wanted to be an RAF pilot" card as you will be backed into a corner, better to say that you decided as you became more mature in your final year of school.

You also have to project your voice and speak clearly, you will be giving and receiving lots or orders in the "jungle gym" under scrutiny from the board.

As has been mentioned before, don't let them bully you into a second branch choice. As much as anything else, they are testing your determination.

Perhaps most importantly of all, don't be deterred by the to$$ers you are going through with who claim to have all sorts of military experience and manifest their aviation tales in the bar. Mostly, they are bulls**tting to cover up for some other inadequacy, and are in no way more suitable candidates than a total rookie to the game.

In summary, you have to show them that you WANT that commission, tell them why you're worth it and be well read on military and current affairs.

Right, back to the finals revision until I find another distraction!!

Good luck,

GF

Edited to evade grammatical criticism from Buoy