PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obtaining an FAA Professional Licence
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2004, 06:38
Lightning_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAA licence in UK and work

Hi Guy's,
I've just joined this forum today, got the site address from a friend of a friend. Just after a bit of advise really.

I've been looking into doing my PPL(H) for some time and started taking lessons about 2 months ago (really got the bug) but in 2 months I've only done 3 hours air time mainly due to typical weather and the instructor is sort of part time.
I've been looking into going to california and doing the PPL(H) training in a six week course. I know this will give me a FAA licence and not a JAA/CAA licence but can it be converted when I get back home???
The other thing is work. I would love to get into the industry and fly for a living but having read all your lots comments, it seems a bit of a tough task. Seems even once you have got your CPL(H) no-one will touch you until you've got 1000+ under your belt, but how do you get thoughs hours in the first place if no-one will employ you???
So what about the FAA training. Its only gonna cost £5'000 for PPL(H) and £16'000 for both PPL and CPL (I say only but its a lot less than back here in Britain). I know you've probibly had a million new hopefuls ask this question but it seems like a mine field out there, any comments guy's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance
Lightning Boy