Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Buccaneer Tales

Search this Thread

Old 5th Apr 2001, 20:28
Pete208

Post Buccaneer Tales

I am a great fan of the Buccaneer and would love to hear any stories that you would like to share.
It was a great aircraft that certainly showed that it had a few 'aces up its sleeve' during the Gulf conflict. It was a sad day when the last and best Buccaneer Sqn stoped 'doing the business.'
Please help! I eagerly await your replys.

[This message has been edited by Pete208 (edited 05 April 2001).]

Old 5th Apr 2001, 20:38
BEagle

Wink

237 OCU crewroom mid-70s. Mate is on the phone to a F4 base regarding fighter affiliation training. After listening to the F4 bloke say "Can you keep it below 550 knots please.......below 4g......oh, and please don't use the (jamming) pod" he replies, "Tell you what, fighter puke, why don't you play the bombers and WE'LL play the fighters!!"

A typical Bruce Chapple quote:"You don't look for people to avoid in this thing, you look for people to ram. It's not so much built as quarryed!!"

Old 5th Apr 2001, 20:41
Ima Muppet

Talking

I think that the last and best Buc Sqn is still doing some business. It sounds like they have an attractive new badge on the way...?

Old 5th Apr 2001, 20:47
Pete208

Yes they are still doing business, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Shame about the badge, has this rumour been confirmed and if so what does the new one look like?

[This message has been edited by Pete208 (edited 05 April 2001).]

Old 5th Apr 2001, 21:10
Ima Muppet

Unfortunately, it is true. The new one is still in the design process. Whether or not it gets implemented is yet to be discovered.

Old 5th Apr 2001, 21:28
Jensen

Cool

Lossie, early 90s. Old and bold ex-Bucc pilot converting to the GR1, on one of his first flights over an unusually calm bit of the North Sea. Pilot takes GR1 ever lower and ever faster. Faster and lower. After a few minutes at very low level, the GR1 nav is sweating a fair bit. Later, back at Lossie, Nav says
"I've never been so scared, what were you doing?"
"Oh, you know the Bucc could fly in ground effect at 20 ft or so above the sea - well I was trying to find the same thing on the GR1".
"And?"
"The Tornado doesn't have it".

Old 6th Apr 2001, 04:40
THINALBERT

Wink

Honington 1981 Air Day. Big unveiling of Tornado GR1. Tens of thousands turn up to see new addition to RAF inventory perform.

Same tens of thousands of people go home marvelling at 4 ship Bucc airfield attack.

Tornado doesn't get a mention.

I was sitting on the 208 hangar roof and it was VERY low and VERY fast.

Happy days.

Old 6th Apr 2001, 04:58
Out Of Trim

Thumbs up

I remember reading about the Buccaneer at Red Flag Exercises in Nevada desert in the Eighties I think.. The Americans could not believe how low.. how aggresive and how professional a low level attack could be..

It still remains an impressive aircraft.

Old 6th Apr 2001, 07:09
John Eacott

Thumbs up

I think it was Eagle, we had a light blue chappie from Boscombe Down (IIRC) carrying out trials on the Martell. As the weather got a bit ordinary, the deck pitch got to about 60' around 1 wire, and it was "suggested" the trials be called off.

If you take the tyres off the main wheels and let the oleo's down to flat as possible, the undercarriage doors are still a couple of inches off the deck. If you persist in landing a heavy Bucc on a pitching carrier, just about out of limits, you can scrape the bottom edge of the undercarriage doors on the deck without a problem.

Then there was the steely subbie who collapsed the nosewheel and slid along the deck with no. 3 wire holding him against go around thrust, until a yellow jersey knocked on the canopy and suggested that he might like to throttle back a bit

There are quite a few photos of Bucc's on my web site, under photo gallery/navy/buccaneer. If you're interested.

Old 6th Apr 2001, 11:13
Pete208

Thumbs up

Would love to see the photos as I am sure many others would be. Could you let us know the address please.
Thanks

Old 6th Apr 2001, 13:21
Biggles Flies Undone

Pete, check his Profile - the homepage address is in there.

Very nice photographs!

Old 6th Apr 2001, 13:38
Pete208

Thanks didn't think to look there, still new to the site I guess.
Well some great stories, what an aircraft. As an engineer I was fortunate to get a 'back seat' trip. I never expected a jet that size to be able to do all the things that it did.
It is a memory that I will never forget

Old 6th Apr 2001, 15:55
Snapshot

Talking

John, how the devil are you? Great to see you on PPRuNe.

Pete208
I assume you have seen my Buccaneer Website?
www.blackburnbuccaneer.co.uk

and DARE I start posting Banana photographs on here AGAIN!! "No..No.. Brooks" I hear.
You decide? I did post a number of my photographs on a recent thread titled LOW LEVELLERS which has probably just fell off the bottom of the page?

As for stories, any of you lot that have offered up a tale care to help out with my 'soon to be released' Buccaneer Tribute CD? Some money going to ben fund blah blah but need plenty of tales of buccaneering. Anyone got the 'bottle' to put pen to paper or shall we just continue to hear the distant tunes of "nah na na nah' in the back of some distant drinking hole now and then when the ale has done it thing and someone remembers that the 'B' word is not a swear word but a word to be proud of! She was, infact OUR LAST 'TRUE' BRITISH BOMBER!
(Please, don't nail me for what must be my most aggressive post of this forum, but it is a tad annoying that very few of the 'few' are 'pitching up' with a few quick, short or long memories of the Buccaneer.

Standing by for insults but I'm ugly enough to take it

Kind regards to all,
if anyone does want to help PLEASE mail me at [email protected] or go in via my web site at www.AvCollect.com This project is VERY important.
Andrew Brooks
Snaps

Old 6th Apr 2001, 16:14
Pete208

Nice to hear from you again Andy, We have spoken via the internet and I have seen your site many times. Two questions for you:

1. When is there going to be a 208 Sqn badge on your site, they were the last and by no means best Bucc Sqn?

2. When is your CD going to be out, I know you want to get it right, but how far off release is it?

Thanks

Old 6th Apr 2001, 18:15
deltahotel

Best aircraft I ever flew. Wasn't very good at it, mind and after 200 hours got specially selected for multi turbo props.

Aviation's not been the same since they took bomb bays out of aircraft. Look forward to the CD.

Old 6th Apr 2001, 22:50
VP8

Talking

Cowden Range. Early 80's Bannana returning from Germany on Mon after weekend away.

Rolls into tgt 6 rolls bomb bay out falls all crews gear, got a no spot as well!!

Old 6th Apr 2001, 23:23
Chris Kebab

...followed on the same range if I recall by some 1369s in transit.

Phew went the officers concerned!

Old 7th Apr 2001, 23:15
Snapshot

Talking

Sorry sorry, just could not let this one pass!

SALUTE TO TAIN
"Cleared in HOT"... "Whoops another one slick, get the binos out"

Old 7th Apr 2001, 23:19
Chris Kebab

God, there's some rogues in that shot!

Old 7th Apr 2001, 23:25
ShyTorque

Thumbs up

Towards the end of the aircraft's life-cycle one suffered a double HYD failure, never considered possible before so no FRC drills or other advice had been suggested.

Problems: No powered controls, no flaps, no u/c, no airbrakes, no hook. Also no fuel transfer from drop-tanks although this was not realised until later, read on.

A/c was landed flapless and wheels-up at St. Mawgan with a g/speed well over 200 kts! The drop-tanks were kept on to prevent a wing digging in. They were thought to be empty but turned out to contain a lot of fuel due to the transfer problem. Highly spectacular video was recorded of the aircraft trailing sparks down the runway. One drop tank touched tarmac, holed and fuel torched into a large fireball behind the speeding Bucc. That tank emptied, the aircraft rolled until the other tank touched due to weight imbalance. Same again but this time the fireball enveloped the aircraft due to a much lower g/speed.

Fuel and fire all gone, the aircraft clattered to a halt in one piece. The canopy opened and two aircrew (probably wearing brown trousers) ran away up the tarmac at high speed. Fire trucks arrived late due to being at the downwind threshold and not being able to manage 200 kts g/speed!

[This message has been edited by ShyTorque (edited 07 April 2001).]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.