Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

Crash near Harrogate, UK: January 2008

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Search this Thread

Old 26th Jan 2008, 17:13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BBC reporting a civilian heli down near Harrogate.

Apparently went down around 16.30.

Any more news available?
Old 26th Jan 2008, 17:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read this

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Two dead after helicopter crash

Two people have died in a helicopter crash at a golf resort near Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
Police, fire and ambulance services were called to attend the scene in woodland at Rudding Park - a luxury hotel and golf resort - at 1630 GMT.

The victims, a middle-aged man and a middle-aged woman, both from the West Yorkshire area, are thought to have died instantly, police said.

The helicopter had just taken off when it crashed.

The fire service said the area was searched for other casualties but no-one else was found.
An investigation has been launched by the police and the Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

Weather forecasters said there had been high winds in the area earlier, which had subsided by the time of the crash but conditions were still gusty.

Police say the deceased, who were pronounced dead at the scene, were due to be formally identified on Monday.

Insp Tad Nowakowski, of North Yorkshire Police said their bodies would be removed from the wreckage of the helicopter on Sunday.
"The helicopter is in the middle of a small wood," he said.

"We understand they had just left Rudding Park Hotel. The two people are from the West Yorkshire area, the helicopter is a private helicopter.

"My thoughts and prayers are with their family and friends.

"It would appear to be a really tragic incident and our job now is to try and establish the cause, which will take some time."

A private function at the 2,000 acre hotel and resort, which was recently named the 12th most luxurious in the world, has still gone ahead.

Former guests have included former US presidents Bill Clinton and George Bush Senior, former Russian president Mikhail Gorbachev and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, of South Africa.

The landlord of a nearby pub said flights over the hotel, which has an 18-hole Championship golf course, occurred daily.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 17:53

Location: Following the sun and skiing... No snow involved just Spending the Kids Inheritance!
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Sky News reporting two killed. I hope they have got it wrong.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:13

gazelle just delivered today . Pilot wisely took safety pilot with him to the accident site and was last seen tying it down . Sounds like he couldnt resist having a play later on. New ppl with 46 hrs . Wind at a guess gusting 50 kn.
I have name but will not post until public. Not implying weather was a factor but with a mere 1,000 + hrs and 500 on type i would not have been up there today. Tragic.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:14

Gazelle crash

Privately owned Gazelle crashed near to Rudding Park Hotel. Both occupants killed on impact.

RIP
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:23

RIP......not good news at all... it was(and still is) very windy up here today...
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:24

Nigelh

That's got to be hard on the Safety Pilot, although not his fault in any way whatsoever, he must be finding it a trying time, having helped safely deliver it.

RIP
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:30

very windy

its was over the limits of most ppl pilots today
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:35

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
nigelh
sitting with a cuppa by the Nidd - couldn't imagine anyone flying in this weather!
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:36

was that 46 hrs total time.
RIP
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:44

crash,

i'm very sorry for was has happened,
but when will pilots, use the local atis,

the gusting with was high in yorkshire today,
and most pilots with high hrs would not go out,

as you all know wind is ok but high gusts
are a different thing,
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:45

I was flying in East Yorkshire today and to say it was too windy for low time PPL's is an understatement. It was less windy than yesterday but still not good. I was watching a groundspeed of 202kts (2000' wind was only 235/68!!) most of my flight, one way of course. What the hell is wrong with people? Are some of the people who teach ppl's these days not pushing the message across hard enough about flying in bad wx, that includes strong winds, or is it something else? Looks like the accident season has started, reading the threads today.

Tragic that TWO people died.
RIP
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:50

if the guy was flying from a unlicensed site,

there is no one to stop him,

its just the same as driving
your car down the freeway at 80mph in fog,
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:52

I think that if i had been the safety pilot i would have strongly advised no solo flying in any kind of weather . ( and i am sure that he did do just that )
46 hrs of flying does not prepare you for flying in these conditions IMHO.
RIP

in fact i think the wind was stronger today than yesterday . We were out shooting on the hill both days and today you could not stand up when on top.
Maybe new licences should have restrictions just like solo flying when training ? What if you do all your training in good calm weather ...you could then find that your first ever flight in severe turbulence is solo . Sad there was not an experienced pilot around at the time to advise against the flight.
I am told 46 hrs was total time heli but he had fixed wing experience.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:55

crash

yes, your right,

the gusts today, was too high to start up the gazelle,
unless he was in a hangar !
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:58

Can't agree more Nigel. Pity we couldn't arrange a night for helicopter FI's/ ppl's/cpl's/ anyone interested in heli's to meet up in Yorkshire area etc. Talk about wx, accidents, do's and dont's of flying, what we all learned on the path to our present positions, plus any questions along the way, and in a relaxed atmosphere. I found the FI seminars were ok for FI's but the most I learned not in the air was during my nights out on an arranged evening every two weeks, in Newcastle, over beers etc with a common theme, heli's, and people of all levels coming along and being able to ask questions without the worry of looking stupid in front of their peers.
So many pointless deaths! A bloody shame.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 18:59

when has any child at xmas ever taken any notice of when you can play with toys when they are there to be played with?.... terrible shame - eagerness and excitement looks like it cost him +1 their lives - very sad and sensless...
Old 26th Jan 2008, 19:00

My feelings are obviously with those involved but spare a thought for the FE who passed someone at minimum hours who makes the news on there first trip. very sad.
Some students are bad, some very good and some you swear are learning somewhere else on the side. Experience however is a very diffrent attribute.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 19:02

the unfortunate point is a child won't kill himself and another innocent party if he plays with 'toys' at xmas.
This was an expensive aircraft requiring the necessary skill and sense to operate it, neither of which were shown.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 19:06

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
A very sad day indeed. I had the pleasure of flying with the pilot only a few weeks ago. Such a terrible loss for his family and freinds.

RIP

JJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.