Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Cabin Crew Wannabes
Reload this Page >

British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment III

Wikiposts
Search
Cabin Crew Wannabes For discussing all aspects of becoming Cabin Crew, including applications and the assessment process.

Search this Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2007, 09:36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please use the forum SEARCH function for previous threads on this subject - Your question may have been answered already
Old 22nd Dec 2007, 11:46

Thank you VS-LHRCSA for your reply; sorry it's taken me a little while to get back to you! Once again, thank you and a Merry Christmas!
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 11:34

BA Long Haul

Can someone please give an example roster of a month of long haul ...

how many times do you fly each week? I have been offered a job with Qantas working 4 days on, 3 days off, but they only fly to Bangkok, Hong Kong and Sinagpore ... thinking about whether to apply to BA now, or do Qantas and then after a year or so, apply ... Thanks.
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 15:40

There is no typical monthly roster as such. Trips range from 3 - 9 days with 2-4 MBTs after, depending on the amount of time zones crossed and local nights rest achieved. etc.

Trips to BKK and SIN are 9 days, as you continue on to SYD on both.

BA are recruiting for WW at LHR on 11 temporary contracts. Chances of being kept on within BA are debateable, virtually zero on WW. Whether or not they will recruit again in a year is anyone's guess.

If you were to turn down QF to do BA, I would be willing to bet that QF would not offer you even an interview after your 11 month contract at BA is up. If you are close to the 900 hour limit (which has been suggested) you not be able to be employed as crew for anyone for a couple of months. This would need to be confirmed though, I'm just speculating.

Last edited by VS-LHRCSA; 23rd Dec 2007 at 18:29.
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 17:26

Merry Christmas everyone, especially those in the EF holdpool, hope we get the call soon!!
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 19:22

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but what is the average monthly take home pay of a new entrant WW crew member?
Old 24th Dec 2007, 06:27

EF

JenniD, Merry Xmas to you and everyone especially fellow ex and current EF holding pool swimmers. I am sure you will be next and who knows you will get that most important call just in time for New Year!
Old 24th Dec 2007, 15:26

Wink

Happy Christmas to all PPRuNe Members, for all the help you give everyone who needs (despite the fact that we don't even know each other)! Happy Xmas especially to those still waiting for courses with BA, and also for those who'll be applying or who have applied for the 11-month temp position like me.

All the very best,

Portugal
Old 24th Dec 2007, 18:46

Avoid SFG and wait if you can for LHR EF.

Good luck to anyone thinking of joining BA SFG,you will need it!!.Money,contract and management are dire.AVOID.

They can't get crew fast enough...ask yourself why?.Because so many are leaving!!.

Your choice.

WTDWL.
Old 25th Dec 2007, 11:06

Merry Xmas

Merry xmas to you all. Merry xmas to my fellow ex-swimmers, i will see some of you in slightly more than 2 months time at Cranebank! Merry xmas to all hold pool swimmers and best luck for new year. Hopefully you will get that call soon!

Merry xmas to all !
Old 27th Dec 2007, 18:57

Angel Lhr Ww

Hi

Hope you all had a lovely XmasI was just wondering if anyone is aware of anyone who has been kept on after there 11month contract with BA and if there is even a slight possiblity that you could be kept on. Or if you were not kept on the WW would there be a chance you could be moved somewhere else or would you have to go through the whole application process again?
Old 27th Dec 2007, 19:09

You never know. It could be LGW SF or LHR EF. Doubt very much it would be LHR WW as both the unions and many crew would not tolerate that. Many people say they will be given LGW SF but they did that last year and there were a few issues. My bet is LHR EF!
Old 27th Dec 2007, 19:12

Officially, there is no chance of being kept on after the 11 months.

The last intake of temporary crew did a 6 month contract and were then offered LGW. So it could happen again but it is not guaranteed. A few of the ex-WW crew that went to LGW were quite vocal about the differences so therefore LGW management are voicing concern about taking ex-WW crew again. However, going by the recent crew shortages, they may not have choice. There is the 900 hour rule that may effect employability, which may be another reason why there are no guarantees.

It is highly doubtful that the current intake of WW temps will be kept on at WW. They would need to clear the hundreds of existing crew on transfer lists before that would happen. If there are vacanies at EF, there is no reason that they wouldn't be offered places there but again, transfer lists will need to be honoured first.
Old 27th Dec 2007, 20:51

Or, they could either keep on recruiting for LGW or improve the conditions. I highly doubt, if the temps were transfered there, would last any longer than those recruited straight into LGW! They would be silly to think otherwise!

Seeing they are recruiting again for LHR WW, they must have something in mind!
Old 28th Dec 2007, 10:29

Recruitment; also acknowledge that 11 month contracts give CC management the chance to get shot of staff that are not wanted. One of there concerns (they told me this); the quality of many new entrants is below that which they would like and this is reflected in comments made by the passengers, the position often does not attract the candidates that are commited to customer service. Additionally there is a lack of languages, which has lead to encouraging mainland Europeans to join who usually have a couple of speaks and require less criminal records checks. Some of you may agree with these comments but some may feel offended. It does not help with the dilution of t & c. Whatever, the CC role will become even more difficult as costs will need to be further cut and this will see cuts in on board services. For all of you there will be 7000+ recruited by 2011 / 2012 and this recruitment and courses will commence round about September 2008 and will continue without a break. To meet this goal BA are taking on Contract trainers to fulfill the number of training courses that will be needed.
Old 28th Dec 2007, 11:23

Lhr Ef & Lhr Ww...what's Best?

Hallo,

Could you share your opinions and experience regarding working as Cabin crew on these two fleets?

I guess the pay is higher on WW and also it is not necessary to live near LHR, whether at EF it's easier to have a social life etc.
I know the preference is up to the individual circumstances..however it would be nice to get your opinions.

I am not sure if I had to post here or on BA cabin crew discussions.
Thanks to all
Old 28th Dec 2007, 11:59

hi portugal do u know how to apply for technic post in british airways and is there any cadet pilot scheme there i am from india and done my aircraft maintenance engineering .
Old 28th Dec 2007, 18:37

Hi Shuchim

If you go onto the website www.britishairwaysjobs.com and search vacancies, you will find any and all positions for which recruitment is taking place. It's best if you keep checking on the website. You can also ask to receive an email alert every time a job with the key words you want comes up.

Good luck!
Old 28th Dec 2007, 18:54

Pollymagou, it is very much up to the individual. WW generally pays more purely because you are away more. That said, you are paid allowances in local currency. On EF a lot of your allowances are in Euros. A lot of WW allowances are paid in US Dollars - not so great at the moment.

On EF, you have control of your life due to preferential bidding. If you want to, you can be home every night. On WW you get to travel but then there is jetlag to consider. Also for every favoured destination (eg SFO), there are the more "challenging" trips (LOS, ISB, TLV) which can be very draining.

One thing to remember is that there is the ability to request to transfer between either fleet after two years. It may take a while to come through but ultimately, you have the chance to try each fleet over a number of years and see what works better for you and your circumstances at the time.
Old 29th Dec 2007, 20:39

VS Lhrcsa

Thanks for your answer VS,
Are there more people wanting to transfer from LHR EF to LHR WW or viceversa? On average how much higher are the wages at WW ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.