Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

The Met's EC145s are about to go Operational!

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Search this Thread

Old 16th Feb 2007, 11:15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good new for all those Ppruners out there that have been waiting with anticipation for the Met's new EC145 airframes to go operational. The wait is nearly over!!!!

I understand that a small number of the Met's eight pilots have recently completed their type rating on the EC145 type whilst at Eurocopter, Germany. The very same pilots are now currently completing a familiarisation course with MacAlpine Helicopters, Oxfordshire with the remaining pilots to complete the necessary training in due course.

The police observers will also be undertaking further training on the updated and more advanced equipment that has been installed within the the EC145 airframe on their arrival to the Lippits.

I believe the first aircraft is due to arrive and to go operational at Lippits Hill within the next few weeks (date to be confirmed) and the second and third helicopters to arrive over the coming year.

The intention is to type rate all the Met pilots on the new aircraft as quickly as possible prior and to the arrival of the remaining two new aircraft so the Met can dispense with the existing 3 X AS355N as not to finance and keep the pilots rated on two types of aircraft at the same time.

As a result of with the arrival of the new helicopters shortly, for the first time in many years the Metropolitan Police Service/Authority have injected a large funding of cash into the ASU in order to take modern police aviation in to the next decade.

New hangar doors have, or are about to be installed to cater for the EC145 and a heli-strip is due, again if not already completed, to be constructed within a "stone's throw" of the current T/O & Ldg area.
Not sure at the present time whether the CAT "A" T/O and Ldg will be continued?

I for one have been looking forward to seeing and hearing the new aircraft operating above London and the southeast. The Met police are taking police aviation forward into unknown areas (policing operations) and breaking new bounderies. Never before as this type of aircraft been seen operating over the United Kingdom on a military, civilian or police capability before and only anticipate that other police services with the financing will follow in due course to aquire this type of aircraft for policing.

I am a fairly new contributer to Pprune, but have been a persistant reader for the last few years. My objective to Pprune is to convey a factual account of correct information and don't believe in pure assumption or lies. Therefore, If anyone believes that any of the above information is incorrect, fellow Ppruners please feel free to correct me to the above in order that all Ppruners have been conveyed the correct information.
Old 16th Feb 2007, 19:50

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cap'n Cop

I believe you are generally correct in everything except the timing of the feast.

Unless the Met have changed their plans of just two months ago the suggestion that the 145 being operational is imminent [as in by March] I would dispute.

True they have been training on the 145s for some weeks now but, unlike more recent previous aircraft introductions, this is not intended to be an immediate changeover of types. More likely to reflect what they did in changing from the 222 to the 355 [well maybe not so long!] as there is a lot of technology to take on-board. I expect they will again be a 6 aircraft unit for a fair period in the coming year.

Runway? Yes, but again the timescale is 'Not yet' - they have yet to get planning permission on that. As far as I am aware the plans are not yet in so the horses can still rest in their field. Might make the golf at West Essex a bit more exciting with a giant fan whizzing over the flight path of the little balls!
Old 16th Feb 2007, 20:05

I believe all pilots are now rated but I can not remember what the nice observer was telling us. Though I can confirm the hangar doors being replaced. The runway was still in the planning stage.
Old 17th Feb 2007, 01:42

Does the Met having any flying positions at this moment?
Just a thought....
Old 17th Feb 2007, 10:46

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I for one shall be looking forward to the reaction from anyone in London who might want to cry "Police State" when a few doors get kicked in.

Especially as Capt.Cop says "The Met police are taking police aviation forward into unknown areas (policing operations) and breaking new bounderies."

Let them cry what they like when this lot come a knocking!!!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1295061.ece

Not just a film anymore!

"Good Morning Sir!!!"

Would you mind accompanying us to the 'interview room'?

Pardon Sir, you'd like to speak to your soya?
Moira? Isn't she a newsreader?
Toyah? It's a mystery, sir, I just can't understand what you are requesting.
You won't talk until you see your employer!
I'm sorry Sir, I understand now, however unfortunately Kate Lawler won't be available until after the Breakfast Show.
Old 17th Feb 2007, 19:10

"Let them cry what they like when this lot come a knocking!!!!
They`ve been here in london for a number of years now, since the mid 90`s, lets just say north of the river but close to an east london area with a long piece of concrete..." oops censored"
Old 17th Feb 2007, 23:28

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
seeing and hearing the new aircraft operating above London and the southeast
Well, if the Exeter BK117 is anything to go by, you'll certainly be hearing them. By far the noisiest emergency services heli I've heard in UK service. Was walking the dog on Dartmoor t'other day when I first picked up the sound of that tail-rotor. Four minutes later the aircraft flew past (half a mile south) at max chat. Not sure what speed they cruise, but something that can be heard 7+ miles away ain't going to be music to Red Ken's sensitive lugholes.

Enjoy the new kit, hope the performance is up to the jobs you have in mind.
Old 18th Feb 2007, 09:28

The EC145/BK117C2 has turned out considerably quieter than the earlier BK's.

Not sure how they did it, a clever tweak of old technology it seems.

All those years [and mi££ions] going down the road of high pitched screams from fenestron's and hiding the fan inside the fuselage to get a measure of quietness and the old technology seems to have largely overcome the problem and ended up almost as quiet as the new technologies.

Still chop your head off if you get too close though! Good job its nice and high on the 145 - and unlikely to be so quiet as you will not notice it!
Old 14th Mar 2007, 21:38

one of the met 145's has been seen today over south london at quite low level does anyone know if they are online yet or could this be more tests?
Old 14th Mar 2007, 22:05

They have been flying for a few weeks now - vectored one around the Biggin ILS in the last week.

Asked the crew yesterday on the RT and they said they are still being operated "privately" so they cannot be used for Police work, just trg and no freeloading ATCOs until they are declared fit for service.
Old 14th Mar 2007, 22:20

They have been operating more often out of Lippitts Hill more regularly of late which either suggests that they have recently moved operations from pure pilot training [mainly based out of Oxford] or just that the sun is shining and they are more visible from here!

A mile south of the 'office'
Old 14th Mar 2007, 22:49

One flew into Hendon today whilst I was on a course.
Much quieter than the twin Squirrels.

Looking good lads!
Old 14th Mar 2007, 23:11
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 299 Likes on 167 Posts
Much quieter than the twin Squirrels.
That I am very glad to, er, not hear!
Old 14th Mar 2007, 23:24

are all three fully kitted out yet or will one be done at a time?
Old 15th Mar 2007, 10:03

Have the met got external hoist capability on the 145 ? if so, anyone know where the observers did their hoist ops training ?
Old 15th Mar 2007, 10:16

Bell222

From my understanding the Met Police took possession of one EC145
recently from McAlpine Helicopters recently where it is now based at Lippitts Hill undergoing familiarisation by both pilots and observers.
Not sure when it goes operational, though?

As for the second and third airframes they will be delivered in due course!

All three aircraft (MPSA, MPSB & MPSC) are still currently shown on the
CAA database under McAlpines registered name.

I'm sure this will change in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled!
Old 16th Mar 2007, 05:17

Think you may be right, they could have full possession of one EC145 now - although that doesn't mean they've made it operational yet.

My evidence? Well, you pointed out that they are still registered to McAlpine, but you didn't note that MPSB was this week marked up as "Potential change of Registered Ownership in progress" by the CAA, and this is the one that will be delivered first. MPSA is the "trials horse" and will be delivered last.

So, what of the high-time 355Ns? Any truth in the report that they will acquire VON# registrations...?
Old 16th Mar 2007, 15:31

ppheli

Thanks for updating and clarifying the thread with regards to the
anticipated official handover of G-MPSB from McAlpine Helicopters to the Met Police.

Your absolutely correct with regards to the CAA database. It does state that airframe G-MPSB is currently going through the "Potential change of registered ownership in progress." The last time I viewed the CAA website I didn't recall seeing the updated entry.

With regards the future of the current 3 x AS355's and the possibilty of
being purchased by the Von Essen Group - that I do not know.

Mind you, with the recent press release that the Von Essen Group has purchased McAlpine Helicopters for £20 million, I suppose anything is possible.

Captain Cop!
Old 16th Mar 2007, 16:27

Wow! Macs as well as Premiair! They're really splashing out....
Old 16th Mar 2007, 17:09

There are no limits

To set the record straight,

Von Essen own hotels
They bought a hotel with a big heliport at Battersea
They bought PremiAir which does pilotage and engineering from Denham and Blackbushe.

They did not buy McAlpine Helicopters Ltd, which is the engineering company based at Oxford.

Now for the big rumour
McAlpines will be sold to Eurocopter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.