Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

Headsets

Search this Thread

Old 14th Jul 2000, 16:26
WhoNeedsRunways

Lightbulb Headsets

Guys :

Anyone got recommendations, prioritised on a) noise reduction, b) comfort, c) price and d) any other important factor, for headsets?

And how about ANR headsets - are they really that good, and do manufacturers make them for helicopters ?

The current headsets I've got are from my f/w days and showing their age.

Old 14th Jul 2000, 23:03
fastback

Thumbs up

WNR

I`ve tried a few ANR headsets recently. I`ve found the best to be "Pilot" ANR headsets the batteries are self contained in the sets and only need to be recharged after about 30 hours(according to the manufacturer)

The lead is detachable so its quite easy to get the appropriate helicopter leads. You will probably need two leads (one UK Nato & one US Nato) for the R22 & 206.
Also make sure you get the metal band accessory that aerobatic pilots use, it gives a lot tighter fit.

Shop around for the best price.

[This message has been edited by fastback (edited 15 July 2000).]

Old 15th Jul 2000, 15:15
piston broke

Unhappy

WNR, I've flown for years with a standard black Peltor helo set, very tough though they may not look it, noise attenuation is excellent, light weight and very comfortable, particularly if used with the earpad protectors which are absorbant stick-on paper, and the headband pad. They are VASTLY superior to the David Clark which are horribly heavy and uncomfortable.

I did own a Pilot which was a copy of the Peltor and it was so cheap and nasty I threw it after a month.

Not tried noise cancelling myself, found the Peltor so good I didnt want the hassle and considerable expense of batteries. After 10 yrs/3000hrs in light turbine helos I still have no appreciable loss on the audiogran trace which I think says it all.

Bon chance!

Old 15th Jul 2000, 16:05
Davie Emsee

Unhappy

I know of someone who tried the Bose ANR headset for helicopters and found them to be no better than normal headsets at a huge cost.

Old 16th Jul 2000, 00:16
fastback

Cool

I agree with Piston Broke, the normal Pilot headsets are totally useless, however the ANR 17 -79 are very good.

They are around the £350 mark which seems alot of money, but having spoken to afew people that on the edge of the CAA limits regarding hearing loss, if they help in any way it`s worth it.

Peltor make a very good headset. I have owned a set for the last 5 years and they have been very reliable. They also had ANR headsets which they have taken of the market.

I`m afraid the Peltors have been left at home once I`d tried the Pilot ANR`s. (with the metal headband)

Old 17th Jul 2000, 02:13
whatsarunway

fish

i have a set of dave clarke h10-13 and the gel seals make them much more comfortable than the standard peltori fly the 22 44 and the ec120 and we have just put the boose anr in the 44 and it is amazing .. everyone must try it
watch though , make sure the low rrpm horn is rigged through the ics because some arent and the anr will cut the horn out!!

have boose anr on the 120 also very good for the long haul , if you do 8 hours a day like i do they are well worth the money. no headaches after a long day i think the kit has to be installed into the helicopters themselves --- each one---- try to convince the boss!!

at least try the anr before you buy any headset!

Old 17th Jul 2000, 02:59
piston broke

Lightbulb

I think wossarunaway makes his point succinctly;
if it's your headset that's made you incomprehensible then get another one, else try spelling, syntax and grammar - we might stand a chance of understanding you!

David Clarke gel seals leak and run down your neck , and the headsets themselves are uncomfortable overweight shyte anyway, as most of us know.

I watched the Austrian Grand Prix today (didn't Scum-Hacker do well???)and most teams pit crew seemed to be using Peltors.
I rest my case.

[This message has been edited by piston broke (edited 17 July 2000).]

Old 18th Jul 2000, 18:23
emitchel

Thumbs down

I wanted the most effective noise cnacelling headset about - and I imagined the new BOSE X-Headset might be the go. I was pretty happy with it until another pilot let me try his David Clark H10-56X.
The David Clark is heavier and bulkier, but is superior in noise attenuation. Also, when the batteries fail - the David Clark is a very effective passive headset. The BOSE sounds terrible - let me tell you - you scramble to get new batteries in ASAP!!! SO, for value for money AND better attenuation - go for the David Clark. I was in Yemen and I couldn't get the BOSE back to the factory or I would have exercised the 30 day moneyback guarantee... also - the battery only lasts half of the published time span - about 10 hours.
Cheers,
Ed

Old 19th Jul 2000, 01:54
whatsarunway

Red face

was piston broke slagging me??
am i slow?? or just hearing impaired from faulty headsets??

Old 20th Jul 2000, 01:47
Harpooner

Thumbs up

I have got Lightspeed ANR's, they are 1/2 the price of D.C's and very comfortable. The ANR 20k has been reviewed by most of the US press with top results. They are wider than most ANR's but very light and comfortable. Because they are now avail in the UK try them at a shop first. (then buy them in the states.)

Old 20th Jul 2000, 05:32
Floater

Cool

I've tried lots of headsets over the last ten years, including ANR ones. The ANR I use now is the David Clark, I think it's the H10-56, it's the chunkier of the two basic types they have, and love it. I had Bose for a while, but although they were the most comfortable, and funky looking, they were not suited to the type of flying I do which is mainly bush work and all the travelling. David Clarks can take a bashing. Most of all, the DCs have great passive noise attenuation, so if you pop out of your ship to fuel it up or load pax and disconnect from the battery pack, you still get 27db of noise attenuation, that's more then most regular headsets. With some of the other headsets, while you're connected you're OK, but when you disconnect, or the battery juice runs out, things become real loud real quick. I also had a Peltor regular headset, which I liked for personal use, but I would recommend DCs for flight schools where others will use them and not look after them quite that well. Another point, after forking out for my ANR DC, a while later I got a job flying 212s which had the military ICS system, different impedence or whatever, and regular civy headsets didn't work. Usually it's just a matter of changing the mic, but in R22 and 206 you'll be OK, just bear that in mind when you go off somewhere to fly another type. Finally, what a lot of pilots do and swear by it, is just find some nice comfy ear plugs and wear them with the headset, and save lotso dosh and lotso hassle with battery packs and all that.

Old 21st Jul 2000, 01:37
The Mistress

Thumbs up

WhoNeedsRunways

Have you looked at www.pilottoys.com - they have a whole section on headsets with techie descriptions - might find something you like there.

Old 11th Jun 2001, 13:09
ravenx

Post Headset Dilemma

I've got a peltor headset that I use when flying fixed wing. Of course this doesn't fit in an R22 because the R22 has one jack not two. I ordered a converter kit from Transair to find it only fits the Jetranger connections. I've asked around most aviation places and no-one seems to be able to supply the correct one. Anyone know where I can get one from.

[This message has been edited by ravenx (edited 11 June 2001).]

Old 11th Jun 2001, 17:53
RW-1

Thumbs up

www.flightsuits.com

Everything you need is there from clothing to electronics.

------------------
Marc

Old 11th Jun 2001, 17:53
Vfrpilotpb

Talking

Rx,
I am nearly certain that you can obtain from Transair, a combo Nato which will slpit apart and fit with one the B206 and the other the R22, I have done this but my NR headset is Pilot, and they helped me to sort it out, the diff is the R22 needs a Silver Nato plug and the JR I use has a Gold Nato.
Hope you find the right one.
regards
PRB

Old 12th Jun 2001, 02:12
ravenx

VFRPilotPB - I did try them and that's where the original one came from but after several phones calls back to them after realising it didn't fit they just said sorry can't help

Old 12th Jun 2001, 02:54
ravenx

RW-1 - I did try www.flightsuits but for some reason all of their email addresses bounced

Old 12th Jun 2001, 22:04
muffin

The problem is that Pilot's bronze coloured adaptors are wired incorrectly. We sell them, and we have to rewire every one to make them work. The functions of the pins on the UK (bronze) and the US (silver) are different. E mail me separately and I can either tell you how to rewire the adaptor or get it done for you.

For those that are interested, let me explain further.

GA aircraft use a double plug arrangement as standard - one for mike and PTT and the other for the received audio.
Helicopters have two standards - one US NATO with a silver plug and one UK NATO with a bronze coloured plug.
The silver and bronze plugs are slightly dimensionally different and will not work when you attempt to mate them
even though they appear to be the same at first inspection.

Most Jet Rangers in the UK have been rewired to use the UK bronze connectors, but most Robinsons still have the US silver
wiring. However, this is not always the case. Best thing is to look at the plug - if it is bronze it is UK, silver it is US.
Never fear, inter series adaptor cables are available between all of these standards.

The problem here is that the main source of these adaptors is Pilot Communications who supply most of the UK pilot shops. Unfortunately their
factory in Korea got the wiring wrong for the bronze plug. They assumed it was the same as the silver US plug. It isn't!
As a consequence all their products fitted with bronze helicopter plugs will not work until they have been rewired. Their
factory are now aware of the problem but there is a lot of product out there on dealers shelves which is still wired to the original incorrect
format.

Sorry to bore you, but it took me a long time to work out the cause of this problem and the above may save somebody else the same frustration!

[This message has been edited by muffin (edited 12 June 2001).]

Old 13th Jun 2001, 15:05
ravenx

No that wasn't boring. It's useful to know that if I do get an adapter from somewhere I'll have a course of action if it doesn't work immediately. Can you send the details of the wiring and then I'll be able to check

Thanks

Old 5th Aug 2001, 18:25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) Headset

I’m going to buy an ANC headset in the next couple of weeks. However I’m still considering two options:

- Bose Aviation Headset X

- David Clark H10-76XL (this is the low impedance model, since the aircraft I fly has a low impedance intercom system)

Any comments, specially in terms of noise attenuation, comfort and customer service in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.