PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets
Thread: Headsets
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2000, 05:32
Floater

Cool

I've tried lots of headsets over the last ten years, including ANR ones. The ANR I use now is the David Clark, I think it's the H10-56, it's the chunkier of the two basic types they have, and love it. I had Bose for a while, but although they were the most comfortable, and funky looking, they were not suited to the type of flying I do which is mainly bush work and all the travelling. David Clarks can take a bashing. Most of all, the DCs have great passive noise attenuation, so if you pop out of your ship to fuel it up or load pax and disconnect from the battery pack, you still get 27db of noise attenuation, that's more then most regular headsets. With some of the other headsets, while you're connected you're OK, but when you disconnect, or the battery juice runs out, things become real loud real quick. I also had a Peltor regular headset, which I liked for personal use, but I would recommend DCs for flight schools where others will use them and not look after them quite that well. Another point, after forking out for my ANR DC, a while later I got a job flying 212s which had the military ICS system, different impedence or whatever, and regular civy headsets didn't work. Usually it's just a matter of changing the mic, but in R22 and 206 you'll be OK, just bear that in mind when you go off somewhere to fly another type. Finally, what a lot of pilots do and swear by it, is just find some nice comfy ear plugs and wear them with the headset, and save lotso dosh and lotso hassle with battery packs and all that.