PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Headsets
Thread: Headsets
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2001, 22:04
muffin

The problem is that Pilot's bronze coloured adaptors are wired incorrectly. We sell them, and we have to rewire every one to make them work. The functions of the pins on the UK (bronze) and the US (silver) are different. E mail me separately and I can either tell you how to rewire the adaptor or get it done for you.

For those that are interested, let me explain further.

GA aircraft use a double plug arrangement as standard - one for mike and PTT and the other for the received audio.
Helicopters have two standards - one US NATO with a silver plug and one UK NATO with a bronze coloured plug.
The silver and bronze plugs are slightly dimensionally different and will not work when you attempt to mate them
even though they appear to be the same at first inspection.

Most Jet Rangers in the UK have been rewired to use the UK bronze connectors, but most Robinsons still have the US silver
wiring. However, this is not always the case. Best thing is to look at the plug - if it is bronze it is UK, silver it is US.
Never fear, inter series adaptor cables are available between all of these standards.

The problem here is that the main source of these adaptors is Pilot Communications who supply most of the UK pilot shops. Unfortunately their
factory in Korea got the wiring wrong for the bronze plug. They assumed it was the same as the silver US plug. It isn't!
As a consequence all their products fitted with bronze helicopter plugs will not work until they have been rewired. Their
factory are now aware of the problem but there is a lot of product out there on dealers shelves which is still wired to the original incorrect
format.

Sorry to bore you, but it took me a long time to work out the cause of this problem and the above may save somebody else the same frustration!

[This message has been edited by muffin (edited 12 June 2001).]