Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Ireland: Ryanair Fears €20m Pilot Hit

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Ireland: Ryanair Fears €20m Pilot Hit

Search this Thread

Old 2nd Feb 2007, 18:31
Captain Chaos

T&C's awfull?????????? Lets think about this one. EI are doing 900 hours a year and costantly away from base.Towards Ryan Air they dont really have a fixed roster and were home every night of the week.
Thats why we have q's of people wanting to join us!

Old 2nd Feb 2007, 20:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Chaos:
What an appropriate name. Muudled thinking if you ask me and no doubt a lonely warrior. Let me pass on the thoughts of a friend on this, when we discussed our different lifestyles.
"Everytime I sneak home & creep into bed at 01.00 trying not to wake the family, my wife wonders if it would be better going back to charter and hotels. Every time I go to bed at 21.00 ready for earlies, asking everyone including the neighbours to be quiet, they say the same thing. No-one has ever thanked me for waking them up at 04,00 as the alarm goes off for work.
So cut the propoganda BS and get a life: or stay where you are and do not! Please do not repeat this c@#p about being home every night. For 5 days it is work & sleep and naff all else. The only thing homely is my own bed, and not dinner with the family or mates down whatever sports club I would like to be at. Don't even think about the pub."

All you other guys must live in a monastary! I hate to think what pilots with young children/babies go through. Give them a hotel every night I would expect. The whole 5 earlies is a nonsense. In the sensible airlines it was 3 earlies in a hotel or 2 earlies at home. Common sense for safety reasons, and that was with a 0600 start not 0530. A hotel at the airport is one thing for an 0600 start. A home 60mins away & 0530 is another completely.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 21:10

captain chaos,well captain courageous it ain't.
I Would not want to join you in anything.Great attitude.

Have no doubts ladies and gents REPA is here to stay.Just means now that the spoofers and talkers will have to front up with a set of balls and stop hiding behing others to do their fighting for them.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 21:59

Captain Chaos,

It's Ryanair not "Ryan Air".

At least spell the name of the subject of the thread properly. That would be a good start before making daft posts.

When are you guys gonna learn.Unions are dead.
What is wrong with you all anyway.Great salary and home every night. Thats why every body wants to come here.
Can you explain how Unions are dead? As far as I am aware BALPA has the highest amount of members in the organisations history. It is actively involved in numerous industrial and professional discussions with airlines, organisations, authorities and the government on a number of varying issues. I wouldn't exactly be calling that dead, on the contrary in fact. I would say BALPA is very alive and kicking. I would also hazard a guess that IALPA is probably at or around it's highest membership numbers also.

Captain Chaos, I think that the FR pilots will say being home every night is not an excuse for bullying or harassment in the work place. A good roster doesn't excuse harassment or any continual flagrant contractual breakages either. It is not a valid argument that breaking the law on certain issues/ practices is deemed acceptable because other people benefit from some of the other possibly good practices that you or a company might undertake. Breaking the law is breaking the law and there is no excuse for it. The reason FR pilots are always home is that the aircraft always return to base. It is the way the business model is set up. It has nothing to do with anything else. You can be sure it doesn't work that way to help please the pilots or crews.

I also do not understand how you get the idea that FR pilots are on a great salary. As far as I am aware 15,000 euro a year for a new co-pilot doesn't exactly seem like a great salary as a B737 pilot, especially when you take all the things that I believe FR pilots pay for themselves that would be standard costs in any other airline.

As to Lee who? I have rarely read any comments or posts that have any evidence or improve the standard of any argument associated with the present FR industrial disputes. I am fairly sure the poster is living in denial and posts on the eventuality or possibility of improving an ego by the expected reaction to inflammatory comments posted. To be blunt, it is a pretty sad existence....

Last edited by alibaba; 2nd Feb 2007 at 23:09.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 22:14

Post The Hounds of Mediocrity.

Look out Captain Chaos!

The Dwarf has sent his two most vicious attack Chihuahua’s to snarl and slobber on your shoelaces. You're possibly unfamiliar with the always-cheerless Rat 5, a pilot who would still find something to whine about even if flying for the Archangel Gabriel himself, and then there's the Dim Repa whom I'm convinced is on some sort of day release program for the perpetually bewildered. Dim Repa goes by the name of Didimus on the Dwarf's high security bitchfest called the REPA website, and is their most prolific author to date. Encouraging news indeed for anyone silly enough to take them seriously.

The Supreme Court in Ireland yesterday delivered a Dwarf spanking of Biblical dimension from which I doubt their few serious elements will emerge for some time, and only then badly savaged. The greatest guarantee of tenure in our business is commercial success. The greatest threat to our jobs as airline pilots is unions in general, and pilot unions in particular. They constitute the only constantly destructive force in the history of our industry. Avoid them like the plague.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 22:33

I believe SW isn’t doing to bad. They are unionised are they not?

There is no evidence what so ever of any victory to FR in relation to the Supreme Court ruling.

I believe the case has to be reheard by the Labour Court. That isn't exactly a "Dwarf spanking of Biblical dimension" is it now? A slight over reaction there.....

A rehearing is what was ordered and that is the outcome of the judgment.

Last edited by alibaba; 2nd Feb 2007 at 23:21.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 07:37

Smile

Sorry Leo; I'm having the best time of my life. I can't even spell psimystiK
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 10:54

Leo,

The race is to be re-run.

You wanted the wise men to say you didn't have to run in the race, you do.

1 day closer to what everyone in the equation deserves.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit (A wise man does not urinate against the wind)
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 12:14

Post Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.

Hello Giggsey,

As much as I always enjoy your contributions, both public and private, you’re wide of the mark yet again. Had you read Justice Geoghegan’s judgement, and its associated commentary by Justice Fennelly, you will see as I have done that the points in law upon which the case turned were, and are, wrong. No amount of reruns will change that fundamental fact even if the forces of darkness had the stomach for yet another protracted and expensive fight, which, of course, they do not.

I’m curious, though. To which “wise men” do you refer? The hissing nincompoops who so clumsily seek to draw a tattered veil of virtue over their malice, or something more cerebral? No matter, I've always found running distasteful. Far more satisfying to stand and fight...no matter what.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 12:44

Can't say as I have read the judgment, but I did see the judge quoted in a paper where he said something to the effect that Ryanair's throwing about propaganda and ideology in correspondence was no substitute for dealing with the issues.

To be honest Leo that is an accusation that might well fit yourself!
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 13:01

I find it interesting that in the USA, besides the two "legacy carriers" in bankruptcy, only the LCCs are losing money now.
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 14:59

Quote :Captain Chaos:
What an appropriate name. Muudled thinking if you ask me and no doubt a lonely warrior. Let me pass on the thoughts of a friend on this, when we discussed our different lifestyles.
"Everytime I sneak home & creep into bed at 01.00 trying not to wake the family, my wife wonders if it would be better going back to charter and hotels. Every time I go to bed at 21.00 ready for earlies, asking everyone including the neighbours to be quiet, they say the same thing. No-one has ever thanked me for waking them up at 04,00 as the alarm goes off for work.
So cut the propoganda BS and get a life: or stay where you are and do not! Please do not repeat this c@#p about being home every night. For 5 days it is work & sleep and naff all else. The only thing homely is my own bed, and not dinner with the family or mates down whatever sports club I would like to be at. Don't even think about the pub."

All you other guys must live in a monastary! I hate to think what pilots with young children/babies go through. Give them a hotel every night I would expect. The whole 5 earlies is a nonsense. In the sensible airlines it was 3 earlies in a hotel or 2 earlies at home. Common sense for safety reasons, and that was with a 0600 start not 0530. A hotel at the airport is one thing for an 0600 start. A home 60mins away & 0530 is another completely.

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED MOVING TO AN AREA WHERE AN ALARM IS NOT REQUIRED. THIS WOULD REMOVE YOUR PROBLEM. And whats with the BS.
What has Barbecued Stake got to do with anything.????????, and what is your problem with monastarys. we have real good bell systems in here., and these really do wake the neighbours up, especially when you hoot the horn in joy on the way to the airport..

cheer up, it could be worse, could be like y..
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 15:39

'What is wrong with you all anyway.Great salary and home every night. Thats why every body wants to come here.'

Total dribble Captain Chaos. The majority of FO's especially the new ones are very poorly paid. The main problem is the fact that the salary is so heavily weighted on sector pay and we are simply not doing enough flying at present around 50 hours a month. A whole week of standbys is not unknown. This equates to sector pay of around 600 a month (half sector pay for first 6 months) and a basic of 1100, dosent go far when paying off a type rating!
Old 3rd Feb 2007, 16:17

Hey guys and gals, to an extent Leo and Capt Chaos are a waste of time. I like Leo because he entertains (though I do admit to finding his moral tone a bit much, since he never is prepared to answer inconvenient questions about anything - especially the morality of his hero).

But let's be clear, Chaos cannot be a Ryanair pilot in Dublin and is much more likely to be a direct representative of the "dark side". So, when you give him the time of day you really are implying that you think that giving his propaganda an airing, or an answer, is worthwhile.
Old 4th Feb 2007, 01:14

More than just an ATCO

Hope this doesn't lead to the same conclusion as "Key-line management"
Old 4th Feb 2007, 08:39

LATEST FACTS TO COME OUT OF THE ARSE OF RYR.
Command up-grade course's starting in march will see new captains on 1/2 basic salaries for the first six months, no doubt that will included the usual 1st April crap, so really 14 months.

MOL recently told the STN ERC,,,,, um we don't think that we can offer the fo's and so's a pay rise this year, in fact we think we may have to give them a pay cut ( sure we have only had 30 consecutive quarter's of unbroken profitability, thats 7 and a 1/2 years for those of you who are so far up MOL that you can't reach a calculator), but the captains, well we have had a bit of a think about it since our last meeting ( where he spent 40 min screaming at the erc for daring to question his decisions, lets co-operate boys and do things my way,,, OR ELSE!!!!)and we think that we can properly match easy jet lowest basic.... (remember this offer is to STN capt. only..... why because he's ****e scared that they might all go orange).

MOL recently to the board in the USA that he expects in the not to distant future to have new capt,s on a basic of as low as 44000 euros,,, how will he do this,,,, simple get the fo's on a basic of 22000 euros (hence the pay reduction mentioned above)and when you upgrade them tell them they will be getting a 100% payrise....................LEO it,s even in your best interest that we get back to the labour court,,, crikey mate otherwise how long till he comes after the brockfield tax haven........

And all this going on whilst he is telling everyone that we are all a happy bunch of campers.... Maybe if people consider this plus all the reductions of the last 3 years and the on going total lack of respect show to all RYR employees people might understand what we are fighting for......... the past is the past.. it,s the future that we should be considering! And i don't mean just RYR. For if we fail it will not be long before other company's follow suit...

Last edited by bia botal; 4th Feb 2007 at 09:27.
Old 5th Feb 2007, 13:08

He can try it, and will receive the same answer like last year. Simply "NO".

I am as well considered for upgrading, but wouldn΄t work certainly for 50% salary. If he΄s trying it, will continue to work as a F/O, and then will soon leave the company.
Old 5th Feb 2007, 19:25

If MOL thinks he can still make aprofit by inviting pax to fly for free, as has been mooted a few times, think how much more profit he can make if he gets the F/O's to fly for nothing. 3 years on line expereince then off to one of the big boys. On the job training, a bit like the self improver instructor route where you hour build for next to nothing in pay. Scary!
The scariest part is some people will do it to get 2000hrs jet and the stepping stone at age 25 to greater heights.
Old 6th Feb 2007, 07:25

Ryanair are flying more empty seats than ever before.
In January the load factor was 71% which is their lowest for 3 years.
The free flights are getting quite expensive with new tax and ryanair now chargeing for each bag. In the 3rd qtr report that brag that average fares are up 7% but then claim they have not added a fuel surchage.

They need to keep it looking as if they are cheap but get a lot more out of each passanger while working staff even harder. One day it will all go very wrong. Either staff will get some protection to take the pressure off or some crash or near miss will force a change.
Old 6th Feb 2007, 10:11

Southwest Airline

Ref previous posts:

-Yes, they (SWA) are unionised.

-I'm 99% sure Southwest are still in profit, and have been even longer than ryanair.