Wikiposts
Search
Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

LUTON - 4

Search this Thread

Old 4th Dec 2006, 06:13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, the widening of the M1 is a massive problem which is doing the airport no favours in the short term, and is aggravated by the dualling of the M1 link road into the airport at the same time. The current works, between jct 6 & 10 are probably the worse, in terms of the number of the potential airport pax affected, but when complete it can only be to the airport's advantage. Look at the massive inconvenience caused by the widening of the M25 around Heathrow, which was only completed about a year ago.

How much potential business is actually being lost because of these works, I don't know, but I would hazard a guess it is small, when compared to others, such as the lack of airport parking stands, and the ongoing probs between the airport operator and LBC as to airport's future expansion plans.
Old 4th Dec 2006, 07:50

Cap 493

Regards Channel Express freight flights. I think you will find that they only operated the early Sunday morning flight to Jersey taking the Sunday papers becaue the runway at Stansted was closed. There was no intention of making the operation permanent. Now that work on both runways at Luton and Stansted has finished I think you will find that things will settle down with DHL operating back into Luton in the early hours from Brussels as well as the BAC Express Short 360 cargo service which operated into Southend and then positioned empty to Luton as soon as the runway reopened. Also MNG Cargo have returned from their not very happy sojourn to Gatwick.
Old 4th Dec 2006, 11:53

Channex / Cargo

compton3bravo - you are spot on! Don't know what all the fuss is about with Channex!!!!
Old 4th Dec 2006, 15:23

Grrr

Excuse me Mr 1 BRAVO, don't you mean Jet2 (or are we talking R/T call signs)? Call yourself a spotter!
Old 4th Dec 2006, 17:37

Buster the Bear

I must come to the defence of Only 1 Bravo, Buster. The company is called Channel Express and operates all its flights with the Channex call sign whether it is flying on its own behalf or Jet 2 which is part of the Channel Express Group and is not a separate airline.
On another front a “new” Boeing 767 might just make an appearance at Luton on Thursday!!
Old 4th Dec 2006, 17:43

Just to clarify, Jet2 used to be part of Channel Express, both owned by the Dart Group. Channel Express is no more, the name Jet2 has been adopted across the board, but is still owned by the Dart Group. The use of Channex as a callsign will continue until someone can think of something better.
Old 4th Dec 2006, 18:03

Silver jet?
Old 5th Dec 2006, 11:33
Title? What title?

With the Police helicopter moving to Henlow, does that mean that as Henlow has no lights, it will no longer operate 24*7, or can they operater without lights ??
Old 5th Dec 2006, 12:49

Silverjet finally gets publicly announced as a news item, on the airports website.
Old 5th Dec 2006, 14:53

Originally Posted by Powerjet1
Silverjet finally gets publicly announced as a news item, on the airports website.
Don't know when it was added, but Silverjet Web site says more and seen some quotes on other travel news sites. Will try and have a snoop when in next transit this week.
Old 5th Dec 2006, 16:27
aceatco, retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phnuff
With the Police helicopter moving to Henlow, does that mean that as Henlow has no lights, it will no longer operate 24*7, or can they operater without lights ??
Not sure what they'll have at Henlow. Nothing had been started when I last flew from there in August. The heli is equipped with some almightly powerful illuminating device though, instant daylight! Personally, I think it's a shame they are moving.
Old 6th Dec 2006, 11:54
Title? What title?

Personally, I think it's a shame they are moving.

I agree, although since Luton Flight Training stopped business and now Eagle Flight Training are moving to Duxford, I guess my only visits will be as pax. I have done most of my flying from Luton - end of an era I guess. Still Duxford seems far more welcoming that the current bottom line oriented management at Luton. Anyway, Farewell Luton ATC. Your help and guidance for the last x years has been most welcome.
Old 7th Dec 2006, 15:47

Thread continued here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255343