Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Engineers & Technicians
Reload this Page >

Canadian Apprentice With Some Questions

Engineers & Technicians In this day and age of increased CRM and safety awareness, a forum for the guys and girls who keep our a/c serviceable.

Canadian Apprentice With Some Questions

Old 20th Aug 2015, 22:03
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1
Post Canadian Apprentice With Some Questions

Hey there,

My name is Michael and I am an graduate of a 2 year Aviation Technician - Aircraft Maintenance college program in Ontario, Canada. My training at school essentially cut 2 years off the time it takes to finish an apprenticeship (4 years without school) so it would only take 2 more years to become a fully certified AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer)if I entered the workforce.

I just had some questions regarding how licensing in Australia for an aircraft mechanic works. Canadian licensing is grouped into M1 and M2. These two groups are separated by weight class so if you only have an M1 license you can only work on aircraft within a certain weight limit but you can get both M1 and M2 which would allow you to work on anything from a Cessna to a A380. So my questions are:

1. If I were to apprentice in Australia how many years would it take me to get whatever certification it is that would classify me as a fully certified Aircraft Mechanic?
2. Does my training at a college in Ontario cut any time off an apprenticeship there or am I looking at the full amount of time?
3. Are these certifications split up into different classes like M1 and M2?
4. Is my training at a Transport Canada approved college program sought after by Australian employers or am I at a disadvantage because I am applying from overseas?

That's all I can think of at the moment but if you have any more information I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you have any questions about Canadian licensing feel free to ask and I will answer what I can.
gstreets is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 18:17
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 17
To be honest I don't think any Australian employer would care about your Canadian college. It would not be sought after. Whether it shaves time off your apprenticeship I do not know.

We have licence without type, and type ratings. A type rating licence requires a theory and practical course.

Australia follows the Easa system essentially so very similar to that bar a few changes.
Diabloblizzard is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2015, 15:25
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Here and there...
Age: 54
Posts: 854
From what I can understand, Australia wouldn't accept your qualifications even if you were fully licensed. You would need to do their approved Exams to get their license.

If I were you, I'd get the Canadian one first, seeing as you are almost there, and then move on to whichever one you set your sights on after that.
unstable load is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2015, 15:00
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Perth
Posts: 136
Canada to Australia AME conversion

Hi Michael,
AME conversion from Canada to Aus is a complicated but not impossible task - there will be significant cost involved!

The Australian system is still a little in flux as we have a new EASA based system running for Heavy aircraft maintenance (B1 - Mechanical /B2 Avionics licenses). Our B1/b2 system is competency based (specific competencies need to be demonstrated) and assessed by a college who then advise CASA to issue a license.

The old exams + experience system is in place for light aircraft licensing until 2019 after which it will move to a competency based system.

Since you will likely undertake your application under the competency system the process can be done under a "recognition of prior learning" process. To undertake this process your would provide evidence (not just your license - collect everything you can from your career, it all helps) to the Registered Training Organization (RTO) who would assess it to make sure it meets all the Australian requirements. The RTO would then advise of any gaps (and the cost to make them up) and set up a plan for you to do the gaps. Once you had completed everything they would advise CASA who would issue you a license.

A list of RTO's approved to assess basic licenses can be found here:

Not that only some of the above are approved to assess Canadian licenses. Standards and cost for the RPL vary considerably so shop around.

Any other advice required drop me a PM
Progressive is offline  
Old 29th Sep 2015, 13:52
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brisbane
Age: 32
Posts: 12
you would more than likely have better luck fining a job in canada or the US or anyhere else besides australia. its very difficult to get or find apprenticeships in aircraft maintenance here. with the schooling you have done you may be able to get some of it recognised but id say you would have to compete all the exams for casa again. these are run by schools such as "Aviation Australia" you can email them and find out what you would need to do if you really had your heart set on australia.
bozbyron87 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.