Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

DuckDuckgo

Old 20th Jan 2023, 16:08
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 4DME
Posts: 2,575
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DuckDuckgo

Have the experts got any views on switching to this for or against.
N707ZS is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 17:34
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Saigon SGN/VVTS
Posts: 6,257
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I've used it for years, in preference to Google, in an attempt to keep at least a little bit of my life out of their clutches.

The results are not as all-encompassing as Google's, but if you can't find what you are looking for, adding the two characters !g to your search string, will cause DuckDuckGo to send an anonymous search to Google. However, the results are returned directly from Google, so if you click on a link on that page, Caveat Scrutator!
India Four Two is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 18:17
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: SW England
Age: 71
Posts: 189
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm another long term DuckDuckGo user. Same reasons as India Four Two . Same experience too. Worth learning how to use "bangs" with it, they do make things a bit more specific. My only gripe is that over the years Boolean search priority has been diluted. Used to be that using a Boolean NOT term would remove all results with that term. Now it only removes low ranking results.
_Agrajag_ is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2023, 21:41
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Angular - apparently!
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concur with the above, but for some reason, it often sends me to lists of websites that are US-based.
barry lloyd is offline  
Old 21st Jan 2023, 09:22
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: SW England
Age: 71
Posts: 189
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by barry lloyd View Post
Concur with the above, but for some reason, it often sends me to lists of websites that are US-based.
Set the desired country option at the top left in the first page of results then search again.

If you always want to search in the UK, as an example, then you can set your home page or a bookmark with a DuckDuckGo url that will automatically load those settings for you. You will then get a mostly UK based search. It's far from perfect. Like the dilution of the Boolean search function the region specific function also seems to be less effective than it used to be. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with the search engine optimisation algorithms that companies pay to get better rankings.

If you want an example URL for a UK-specific DuckDuckGo bookmark, with safe search off, then here's a basic one (in code tags to stop the PPRuNe redirect function):

Code:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&kp=%2D2&kk=%2D1&kv=%2D1&k1=%2D1&kac=%2D1&kak=%2D1&kao=%2D1&kaq=%2D1
_Agrajag_ is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 09:42
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Angular - apparently!
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Agrajag_ View Post
Set the desired country option at the top left in the first page of results then search again.

If you always want to search in the UK, as an example, then you can set your home page or a bookmark with a DuckDuckGo url that will automatically load those settings for you. You will then get a mostly UK based search. It's far from perfect. Like the dilution of the Boolean search function the region specific function also seems to be less effective than it used to be. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with the search engine optimisation algorithms that companies pay to get better rankings.

If you want an example URL for a UK-specific DuckDuckGo bookmark, with safe search off, then here's a basic one (in code tags to stop the PPRuNe redirect function):

Code:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&kp=%2D2&kk=%2D1&kv=%2D1&k1=%2D1&kac=%2D1&kak=%2D1&kao=%2D1&kaq=%2D1
I have done that, but for example, if you're looking for a particular town in the UK, say Plymouth, it will often, but not always, send me to the one in Massachusetts. I typed Ebay into the search window the other day, and everything was priced in $ - it had sent me to the US version. What I know about computing can be written on a pinhead; I went back and typed Ebay UK and lo and behold, the prices were in , so it seems that it needs to be told exactly what is wanted.

Undaunted, I shall try the version you have offered - thanks. I do like the overall simplicity of ddg v Google.
barry lloyd is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 16:20
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: SW England
Age: 71
Posts: 189
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
By default the basic DuckDuckGo URL prioritises the USA, hence the reason you're seeing US sites dominate. If you click the three horizontal bars at the top right of the DuckDuckGo home page) you will open a menu on the right hand side, like this:




Click on the "All settings" option and you will get a page like this:



Select your preferred region, and any other settings you prefer, from the drop down options, then either click "save" in the cloud save box to the top right, or you can click the "Show Bookmarklet and Settings" button and that will show the custom URL for your personalised settings.

If you set that url to be your DuckDuckGo bookmark then every time you open it it will load with your custom settings for region, language, advert preferences, etc.

All of the settings on that page can be stored in a bookmark this way. This avoids using the cloud and allows to load your settings anew every time your device loads the DuckDuckGo home page.

Both save options work the same way - use whichever you prefer.

Let us know how you get on.
_Agrajag_ is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 19:46
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Angular - apparently!
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's very helpful., much appreciated. All installed. I think I must have had the economy version.
I'll post an update in a day or two.
barry lloyd is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2023, 18:44
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: SW England
Age: 71
Posts: 189
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by barry lloyd View Post
That's very helpful., much appreciated. All installed. I think I must have had the economy version.
I'll post an update in a day or two.
If you need any more help to get it to work as you prefer, just say.

It bugged me for a time, not being able to find a way to always set the thing to search the UK first. Can't remember how I found the setting options, or how to save them, but since doing so it's made DuckDuckGo more user friendly. Not perfect, as there does seem to be ways for those that pay enough money, or otherwise buck the system, to get their results higher up the rankings, but better than the default settings.
_Agrajag_ is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2023, 18:48
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 705
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The VPN option can be helpful but it can slow things down a bit.
Less Hair is online now  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 10:41
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Angular - apparently!
Posts: 702
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _Agrajag_ View Post
If you need any more help to get it to work as you prefer, just say.

It bugged me for a time, not being able to find a way to always set the thing to search the UK first. Can't remember how I found the setting options, or how to save them, but since doing so it's made DuckDuckGo more user friendly. Not perfect, as there does seem to be ways for those that pay enough money, or otherwise buck the system, to get their results higher up the rankings, but better than the default settings.
I'm pleased to say that it now seems to be guiding me to the places I want to be. Much obliged for your help.
barry lloyd is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 11:19
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: SW England
Age: 71
Posts: 189
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by barry lloyd View Post
I'm pleased to say that it now seems to be guiding me to the places I want to be. Much obliged for your help.

Glad this helped.
_Agrajag_ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.