PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DuckDuckgo
Thread: DuckDuckgo
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 08:42
barry lloyd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by _Agrajag_
Set the desired country option at the top left in the first page of results then search again.

If you always want to search in the UK, as an example, then you can set your home page or a bookmark with a DuckDuckGo url that will automatically load those settings for you. You will then get a mostly UK based search. It's far from perfect. Like the dilution of the Boolean search function the region specific function also seems to be less effective than it used to be. Not sure why. Maybe something to do with the search engine optimisation algorithms that companies pay to get better rankings.

If you want an example URL for a UK-specific DuckDuckGo bookmark, with safe search off, then here's a basic one (in code tags to stop the PPRuNe redirect function):

Code:
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&kp=%2D2&kk=%2D1&kv=%2D1&k1=%2D1&kac=%2D1&kak=%2D1&kao=%2D1&kaq=%2D1
I have done that, but for example, if you're looking for a particular town in the UK, say Plymouth, it will often, but not always, send me to the one in Massachusetts. I typed Ebay into the search window the other day, and everything was priced in $ - it had sent me to the US version. What I know about computing can be written on a pinhead; I went back and typed Ebay UK and lo and behold, the prices were in £, so it seems that it needs to be told exactly what is wanted.

Undaunted, I shall try the version you have offered - thanks. I do like the overall simplicity of ddg v Google.