Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Canada
Reload this Page >

Foreign pilot, job market in Canada

Canada The great white north. A BIG country with few people and LOTS of aviation.

Foreign pilot, job market in Canada

Reply

Old 29th Jun 2018, 07:57
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Botswana
Posts: 2
Foreign pilot, job market in Canada

Good day all
I was wondering if operators of charter or freight companies in Canada would be interested in hiring expats to fly for them, I have 1800TT and 400 hours on a C208B PIC; I would be looking for a company that flies a C208 with the option of progression onto a twin. I know with all the aviation opportunities in Canada there are probably a lot of nationals that have similar experience. Would operators prefer to get pilots locally or would they be open to hiring expats?
What would the process be, would I have to get a conversion of my ICAO licence first and then look for work while in Canada, or just apply for a job and do that after getting a work permit? I have a British passport and the immigration website says if I have a letter of employment I would be eligible for a work permit, but on PCC listings say you must have the right to live and work in Canada, so would I need to get that first, somehow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
camtwright is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2018, 00:45
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somehwere on the planet
Posts: 373
Most companies will require either a Canadian passport or permanent residency card before offering employment.
tbaylx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2018, 18:20
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: BC
Posts: 437
You MUST have the right to work in Canada. You can't 'walk' in here and go flying. There are numerous threads on here about this.
777AV8R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2018, 16:34
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 66
Why does everyone seem to think Canada is the land of opportunities. Contrary to popular belief immigrating into Canada is pretty difficult, we have a very strict points based system which requires significant higher education to get in. I don't know how that would work if you want to come into Canada as a pilot, but we don't have an open door policy. Despite our land mass we have a very small population.
Foxdeux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2018, 17:40
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Foxdeux View Post
Why does everyone seem to think Canada is the land of opportunities. Contrary to popular belief immigrating into Canada is pretty difficult, we have a very strict points based system which requires significant higher education to get in. I don't know how that would work if you want to come into Canada as a pilot, but we don't have an open door policy. Despite our land mass we have a very small population.
Foxdeux
Your forgetting that they can enter the US on a visitor visa, walk across the border in either Quebec, Ontario or Manitoba and we will welcome them with open arms thanks to Justin. So much for the points system you mentioned because the only ones following that are still waiting to get in.
BKsmithca
Bksmithca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2018, 21:37
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by Bksmithca View Post
Foxdeux
Your forgetting that they can enter the US on a visitor visa, walk across the border in either Quebec, Ontario or Manitoba and we will welcome them with open arms thanks to Justin. So much for the points system you mentioned because the only ones following that are still waiting to get in.
BKsmithca
That is partly true, it is easy to cross the border as a "refugee" but they still go through a legal process to see if their 'refugee' status is real. But how many of those crossing the border illegally are coming here to become pilots...probably nil. The problem with having illegal immigrants isn't that they are taking jobs from us - they usually end up working in very low paying jobs - it is the strain they put on our welfare system and leap frogging to the front of the line because they are "refugees" is just sad.
Foxdeux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2018, 01:31
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Alberta
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Foxdeux View Post
That is partly true, it is easy to cross the border as a "refugee" but they still go through a legal process to see if their 'refugee' status is real. But how many of those crossing the border illegally are coming here to become pilots...probably nil. The problem with having illegal immigrants isn't that they are taking jobs from us - they usually end up working in very low paying jobs - it is the strain they put on our welfare system and leap frogging to the front of the line because they are "refugees" is just sad.
Foxdeux
At this time your 100 percent correct in that the individuals coming across are the less skilled workers and in the points system of immigration they would likely score low on the point count where as a more highly skilled individual scores higher but is currently prevented for coming over because of all the border jumpers that Justin is accepting. I'm sorry if I sound nasty but send them back to the country that they came from and tell them to follow the process.
Bksmithca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jul 2018, 10:35
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,310
Blksmitha, this says it all, our immigrant mess, thanks to our "glorious leader" is going to take years to fix, if it ever can be sorted out, what a joke Canada has become!
clunckdriver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2018, 00:29
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the screen in front of you
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by clunckdriver View Post
Blksmitha, this says it all, our immigrant mess, thanks to our "glorious leader" is going to take years to fix, if it ever can be sorted out, what a joke Canada has become!

Where's the like button?!
skidbuggy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service