PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilot, job market in Canada
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2018, 05:49
Breakthesilence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vio
It is hard man! Canada is not an easy country to come to, unless you come here to study. I think the easiest way (and I said "easiEST" not "EASY") is to come here and study as a student. I have friends that came from Europe to study and after about 2 years they were able to apply for a permanent resident status. Some got it, some didn't. I also came here from Europe, but my parents took the long way around, applying to officially immigrate here based on a "points system". I wasn't even a teenager when we moved here.

It's interesting how people want to move from Europe to Canada and vice versa. I would actually love to move back to Europe and fly there. Even though I have a EU passport, I'm not sure I'm willing to write the (ridiculous) 14 exams to get my Canadian ATPL converted to an EASA ATPL. I would almost be guaranteed a job there, considering my experience here in Canada. I'm just too lazy to write those. I'll do it IF Europe decides to make it easier for us ICAO ATPL holders, with thousands of hours flying at major airlines, to convert our license. I would say one or two exams, to cover the "differences" between the two systems.
Thank you so much for your reply

You are right, it's interesting to see this kind of movements (or wishes of movement) between countries. I think that's because people (us too) aren't always happy of what they (we) have and we always look to something new to discover.

Personally, I've always been attracted by the Canadian landscape and wildness and relaxed lifestyle.

Recently (well....it's been a while now) we always read about a "Pilot shortage" in the World. That's only partially true otherwise I can't understand why countries like Canada, Australia, NZ etc. are still so closed to expat pilots.