Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Cabin Crew Wannabes
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia Recruitment January 2018 mel,bne,per,syd

Cabin Crew Wannabes For discussing all aspects of becoming Cabin Crew, including applications and the assessment process.

Virgin Australia Recruitment January 2018 mel,bne,per,syd

Old 21st Jan 2019, 11:44
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Thumbs up Virgin Australia Recruitment January 2018 mel,bne,per,syd

Hello Everyone

This thread is for everyone applying for cabin crew with VA in January.

I'm applying with Melbourne and so far I've submitted my application on the 3rd jan, got invited for the vid on the 4th jan then invited for an assessment day on the 18th jan. Today 21st I got an email saying ive progressed and they want to do a reference check. I have updated my reference page and will keep everyone informed with my progress. From my knowledge at the assessment day they need to hire 450 new cabin crew staff Australia wide (said by an employee when we chatted) but there is a training school that has just started and they are not sure when the next school will be.

How is everyone else going?
miss.jade is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 06:16
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1
Iím currently at reference check stage for Sydney base. Have they contacted your referees yet?

We were told that the next Sydney ground school will start on 18th Feb.
Jackandmo is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 07:42
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by larking View Post
I interviewed mid Jan in Brisbane. I have now supplied my swimming info and awaiting information about where to go for my medical, it's been a few days and I am starting to get worried. Have you been for your medical or are you just sitting in the Talent pool too?
They contracted my references 5 days after my interview, so that was yesterday, both my references filled out the questions and submitted it last night so now im just waiting to hear back
miss.jade is offline  
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 10:55
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6
Swimming test

Hi guys,
Hoping someone can answer a question for me

I've been to my assessment day and currently in the reference check stage. Wondering if I get a call about ground school then have to submit my swimming competency form? Or do you have to submit it before you are considered for a ground school? Not the greatest swimmer do really need to brush up my skills!
Tia XX
Wannabecrew0209 is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 09:42
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 14
Hi.. New one here. Just submitted my application for SYD base. I am older 50, gay guy. Wonder if they age discriminate. Working for an airline on the ground. How was the assessment day?
filthy rich is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 19:53
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 14
Is the assessment day a whole day. Any ideas where this is held in Sydney? Is it CBD or airport? I have only submitted my initial application yesterday just want to know the process. Cheers!!
filthy rich is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2019, 22:33
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by filthy rich View Post
Is the assessment day a whole day. Any ideas where this is held in Sydney? Is it CBD or airport? I have only submitted my initial application yesterday just want to know the process. Cheers!!
The assessment days are usually around 3 hours (less if you get interview first).
Mine was from 1PM until 4PM at the Melbourne assessment day.
I consisted of:
-1PM- introductions, a bit about the company, expectations etc.
- 2PM - Group activity
- 2:30PM- Everyone was sent into the kitchen area, and each of the 4 recruitment staff called up one person each to do a 10 minute interview.
Once your interview is done, you are free to leave! I would recommend at the very beginning of the day, when they are collecting your resumes, to hand yours in last if you can.
This means its at the top of the pile and you get interview first. I made the mistake of handing my resume first, and was the very last person to be interviewed(about 90 minutes after the first person)
Hope this all made sense! Good luck!
Wannabecrew0209 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2019, 11:01
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: sydney
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Wannabecrew0209 View Post
The assessment days are usually around 3 hours (less if you get interview first).
Mine was from 1PM until 4PM at the Melbourne assessment day.
I consisted of:
-1PM- introductions, a bit about the company, expectations etc.
- 2PM - Group activity
- 2:30PM- Everyone was sent into the kitchen area, and each of the 4 recruitment staff called up one person each to do a 10 minute interview.
Once your interview is done, you are free to leave! I would recommend at the very beginning of the day, when they are collecting your resumes, to hand yours in last if you can.
This means its at the top of the pile and you get interview first. I made the mistake of handing my resume first, and was the very last person to be interviewed(about 90 minutes after the first person)
Hope this all made sense! Good luck!
i just got an email to do the video clip. What is the next stage after this if I pass. A bit nervous will think of the recording what to say. How fast will this process? Any ideas?? Many many thanks
filthy rich is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2019, 10:24
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by filthy rich View Post


i just got an email to do the video clip. What is the next stage after this if I pass. A bit nervous will think of the recording what to say. How fast will this process? Any ideas?? Many many thanks

The next stage is the assessment day!
Donít stress about the video! Itís definitely the most awkward bit! When recording the video I started off with introducing myself.For why cabin crew? I would mention your love of customer service travel etc. For the why virgin question..its best to look at virgins values and maybe use those! From submitting the video to being invited to an assessment day was about 4 days! The assessment day was held about 2 weeks after the invite! Best of luck with it all
Wannabecrew0209 is offline  
Old 28th Jan 2019, 13:46
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
The awkward video haha

Hey I just submitted a video not long ago too for Brisbane base. Iím so nervous ! Was wondering what the next step would be but glad I found the answer on here. Thanks guys!
Chris29 is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2019, 07:53
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: sydney
Posts: 1
Restrictions on tattoo

I was wondering if theyíre extremely strict on tattoos ? If its a Ď no visible tattoos at all Ď or Ď as long as its coveredí. I am willing to cover it with makeup and wear the blazer constantly and most likely start lasering it off if given the position
jessien is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2019, 23:07
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: brisbane
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Wannabecrew0209 View Post
Hi guys,
Hoping someone can answer a question for me

I've been to my assessment day and currently in the reference check stage. Wondering if I get a call about ground school then have to submit my swimming competency form? Or do you have to submit it before you are considered for a ground school? Not the greatest swimmer do really need to brush up my skills!
Tia XX
You will probably have to submit your water competency prior to getting an offer, at least that is how the process went for me.
Apparently you will also need to show that you can swim clothed during ground school and climb into a raft wet and clothed.
larking is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2019, 23:10
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: brisbane
Posts: 14
They asked the question at the interview stage (one on one) 'do you have any visible tattoos'. I have a feeling they may be strict on it, but be honest and ask the question if you get through to that stage. All of the assessors were really lovely, not there to judge, just find out what sort of person you are
larking is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2019, 23:13
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: brisbane
Posts: 14
Hi Miss Jade. I am now at the Medical Stage. I will be offered a spot in the March 11 Ground School if I passed the medical, completed yesterday. Medical was easy, but at 41 I am obviously not without age related health issues, lol. Can't wait to see the contract come through via email. How is your process going? Cheers Larking
larking is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 11:06
  #15 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Hi Larking

Shortly after the contacted my reference they asked me to do the water competency check. I did that yesterday and today they told me I am now in the transit lounge waiting for a training school opening so getting pretty excited!

for me it went
application-60 sec vid- assessment day- reference check- water competency check-transit lounge

I applied 31st december 2018 and it's now 2nd of feb so getting to the transit lounge has only taking a month it's been quite prompt so far! Hoping a training school opens up for me soon, are u based in Melbourne Larking?

they said I will still have to undergo a medical assesment later
miss.jade is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 19:40
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: brisbane
Posts: 14
Miss.jade that is amazing, congratulations. I’m really excited for you... I know the feeling. I’m Brisbane based. Apparently the process can take up to 12months that’s why they tell you not to quit your job until you have a contract. I’ve also heard they hold a ‘pool’ of successful candidates so they don’t have to continually recruit. Hopefully some positions open up in Melbourne soon. Did they discuss ground school dates at the interview stage? They did at mine. They said there would be three in the first quarter, but I’ve had word that they are now only doing two. I am really happy for you, it’s a very sort after role. I hope you love the job when you get it and fulfill a dream.

Last edited by larking; 5th Feb 2019 at 10:35.
larking is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2019, 10:36
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: brisbane
Posts: 14
I received my contract today... I am sooooo happy!
larking is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:25
  #18 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by larking View Post
Miss.jade that is amazing, congratulations. I’m really excited for you... I know the feeling. I’m Brisbane based. Apparently the process can take up to 12months that’s why they tell you not to quit your job until you have a contract. I’ve also heard they hold a ‘pool’ of successful candidates so they don’t have to continually recruit. Hopefully some positions open up in Melbourne soon. Did they discuss ground school dates at the interview stage? They did at mine. They said there would be three in the first quarter, but I’ve had word that they are now only doing two. I am really happy for you, it’s a very sort after role. I hope you love the job when you get it and fulfill a dream.

I was contacted today, there is a training school opening in march! im very excited, ive booked the medical assessment for next Wednesday and pending that ill be starting 7/3/18
But a question with the drug and alcohol screening, is it just a urine? (not a fan of needles! haha)
and what else do you have to do in the medical? im not too worried im a fit 24 year old but just curious in what $300 includes and how long it takes lol
do you receive the contract before training school?

at my interview I asked how many training schools in a year and she couldn't answer because it wasn't her department but they are moving quite promptly
miss.jade is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:49
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: brisbane
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by miss.jade View Post
I was contacted today, there is a training school opening in march! im very excited, ive booked the medical assessment for next Wednesday and pending that ill be starting 7/3/18
But a question with the drug and alcohol screening, is it just a urine? (not a fan of needles! haha)
and what else do you have to do in the medical? im not too worried im a fit 24 year old but just curious in what $300 includes and how long it takes lol
do you receive the contract before training school?

at my interview I asked how many training schools in a year and she couldn't answer because it wasn't her department but they are moving quite promptly
Yay! Thatís great. Iím not sure if all of the medicals are the same, but mine was just urine. The whole thing took around half an hour. Donít stress itís quite easy, they just make sure youíre functionallly able to perform the job. I received my contract yesterday, so that was about 4 working days after the medical. The information youíll receive is more than just your contract, you need it prior to your start day. You also get to book a time to have your uniform fitted... itís getting real now!!!!
larking is offline  
Old 8th Feb 2019, 14:21
  #20 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7
Woohoo thank for the info
I'm hoping I receive the contract shortly after the medical so I can give work notice because everythings happening so quickly I was expecting to wait months haha. I also heard the CEO is changing in April so curious to see how that will impact the company

I've had to book in my RSA and I guess I need to organise the airport security? Did you have to do the airport security check before or after u signed the contract
miss.jade is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.