Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Aussie Journalists - "sensationally" the best on the planet

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Aussie Journalists - "sensationally" the best on the planet

Old 24th Jan 2023, 01:17
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 4,731
Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts
Most of these procedures, like the rules of the air, have their origins in the maritime world. The term 'pleasure craft' is just another description for a 'boat'!
Lead Balloon is online now  
Old 24th Jan 2023, 04:57
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon View Post
Most of these procedures, like the rules of the air, have their origins in the maritime world. The term 'pleasure craft' is just another description for a 'boat'!
Could be applicable to aircraft (depending on what you get up to in the crew rest). 👍👍😀👌😏
Shark Patrol is offline  
Old 24th Jan 2023, 06:35
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Above and beyond
Posts: 1,083
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
In today's West Australian:

Jandakot plane crash: Pilot walks away after aircraft hits ground on landing

The article was first published under the headline "Pilot escapes death after aircraft collides with ground on landing".
BuzzBox is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Old 25th Jan 2023, 02:38
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 70
Posts: 867
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuzzBox View Post
In today's West Australian:

Jandakot plane crash: Pilot walks away after aircraft hits ground on landing

The article was first published under the headline "Pilot escapes death after aircraft collides with ground on landing".
Every now and then I buy a copy of the West............just to remind myself why I don't subscribe.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2023, 07:59
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 81
Posts: 250
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I must say that the thread starter has written a Classic piece to describe how our so called " journalists " especially our Top of the Mob "GT" write about things Aviation.
Well written indeed and very funny.
RodH is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 01:16
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 5,082
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 41 Posts
"Pilot escapes death after aircraft collides with ground on landing"
Must be Roger Bacon writing about my landings.
megan is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by megan:
Old 26th Jan 2023, 02:33
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 73
Posts: 26
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit subtle for some, megan!
Cilba is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 03:53
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Posts: 1,815
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
íA little late on the round-out, Hoskins?í
Captain Dart is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by Captain Dart:
Old 26th Jan 2023, 17:38
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 314
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky the pilot View Post
Must admit to rolling my eyes at that one but afterwards reluctantly conceding that your average Journo, who would never let the facts get in the way of a good story, would most likely reach that decision.

And only because they simply do not know any better, other than to make it up as they go along.
Even Australian Aviation wrote that as the abbreviation. Maybe GT has slipped in undetected as the Editor of AA now?
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 20:23
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,366
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
Even Australian Aviation wrote that as the abbreviation. Maybe GT has slipped in undetected as the Editor of AA now?
It has to be said that Australian Aviation ain't what it used to be.

The aircraft in the Qantas MAYDAY incident was described by one TV reporter as having made "an incredibly safe landing."
Fris B. Fairing is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 22:02
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 314
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Fris B. Fairing View Post
It has to be said that Australian Aviation ain't what it used to be.

The aircraft in the Qantas MAYDAY incident was described by one TV reporter as having made "an incredibly safe landing."
True, I've been around the industry for a long time and have a very good memory for detail and a lot of AA's articles now have errors that any aviation enthusiast or long-termer would spot straight away. Like the rest of the media, they can't even show a pic of the correct aircraft half the time in their articles. I mean, if they're an AVIATION publication that specialises in Australian industry, it says something if they're writing an article about a 737 and can't even be bothered enough to show a pic of the aeroplane, instead any stock photo of an A380 or worse, a 767, will suffice.

Having said that, I emailed the Qantas Webmaster a few years back because they had a 737 labeled as a 767 on their 'images' section. It took 3-4 emails to explain to the drone at the other end what the difference was between a 737 and a 767.
AerialPerspective is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2023, 22:20
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
True, I've been around the industry for a long time and have a very good memory for detail and a lot of AA's articles now have errors that any aviation enthusiast or long-termer would spot straight away. Like the rest of the media, they can't even show a pic of the correct aircraft half the time in their articles. I mean, if they're an AVIATION publication that specialises in Australian industry, it says something if they're writing an article about a 737 and can't even be bothered enough to show a pic of the aeroplane, instead any stock photo of an A380 or worse, a 767, will suffice.

Having said that, I emailed the Qantas Webmaster a few years back because they had a 737 labeled as a 767 on their 'images' section. It took 3-4 emails to explain to the drone at the other end what the difference was between a 737 and a 767.
Several years ago (pre-COVID) an internal document came out in Qantas that clarified to some of their non-operational staff that an A380 was that big aeroplane that had an upper deck going all the way back (so they didnít confuse it with the still-operational 747s). So even people who actively work in aviation arenít that cluey sometimes. Maybe those individuals were just there for the macrame classes and yoga sessions in The Street.
Shark Patrol is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2023, 01:12
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fieldsworthy
Posts: 199
Likes: 0
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AerialPerspective View Post
Having said that, I emailed the Qantas Webmaster a few years back because they had a 737 labeled as a 767 on their 'images' section. It took 3-4 emails to explain to the drone at the other end what the difference was between a 737 and a 767.
It couldn't have been that difficult, surely. Maybe he was secretly delighting in causing outrage amongst the aviation nerds with his bumbling fool act?

Originally Posted by Fris B. Fairing View Post
It has to be said that Australian Aviation ain't what it used to be.
Was it ever?
Eclan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.