Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz

Old 8th Nov 2019, 02:17
  #81 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Jetstarpilot View Post
But what about quota for wimmin honey cart drivers!!

didnt tink so��������������������������������������

Intellectual genuis! Women have been lifes shit cart driver for a millennium.
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 02:31
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post

I have seen both extremes. Women who leave work to have their baby and cannot get back to work quick enough, leaving their offspring in the care of a professional organisation not family. Then there are those that never come back because they love motherhood. Surely it is their choice? Some seem to be suggesting you can be in two places at once.
lololololol. Like I said , you can't make this shit up! You automatically slam the woman, what, the father had no say, he couldn't take unpaid leave and do the childcare? You prove my point Icarus, you automatically assume the woman is responsible for parenting and the man isn't, and that's the issue and it's wide spread throughout the community, women are EXPECTED to do it all and if they have children they are accused of "wanting it all'!
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 02:44
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Best Place!
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by exfocx View Post

To the idiot who complained that quotas were discriminatory, guess what, that's what females have faced since forever.
Cool. So now let's do to men what happened to women and that will set the world straight.

Quotas are bs. They have been around in government departments since the 70/80s and have only become worse with time, with many incompetent people becoming Head of a Department due to their gender. Now we have them in a safety related career where the best person for the role should be employed, not the person who has the correct gender. I couldn't care less if that means that male to female ratio is 80:20 or 20: 80, this is about people getting the role because they are talented and right for it, not because they are male and female.
mmmbop is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 02:49
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 2,740
Originally Posted by exfocx View Post
lololololol. Like I said , you can't make this shit up! You automatically slam the woman, what, the father had no say...
Where did I slam the woman? Which words?

I said it was the choice of the COUPLE!

Read it again genius.
Icarus2001 is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 03:14
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post


Where did I slam the woman? Which words?

I said it was the choice of the COUPLE!

Read it again genius.
Icarus, the Tone Deaf pilot! Choice, what sort of stupid comment is that? Women, as the stats show, Have.No.Choice, or maybe, they're just really accommodating people, that they do nearly all the heavy lifting. Dumb or what!
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 03:18
  #86 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by mmmbop View Post
Cool. So now let's do to men what happened to women and that will set the world straight.

Quotas are bs. They have been around in government departments since the 70/80s and have only become worse with time, with many incompetent people becoming Head of a Department due to their gender. Now we have them in a safety related career where the best person for the role should be employed, not the person who has the correct gender. I couldn't care less if that means that male to female ratio is 80:20 or 20: 80, this is about people getting the role because they are talented and right for it, not because they are male and female.

Here we go, you post one dumb comment after another! Unless women are incompetent they will easily make the cut. I also think you over estimate what's required for the role, most likely poor self-esteem. The numbers game is to get more into the field over a faster time frame without affecting standards.
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 03:48
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Syd
Posts: 8
“Quotas are bs”

Maybe they have merit in some fields in some situations but for the topic at hand, yes they are BS.

Which is why Qantas have not used them nor have they indicated an intention to do so in the future.

“where the best person for the role should be employed”

And the best way to employ the best person is to cast the widest net possible, which is what Qantas are trying to do by increasing the participation rate of women.

A question for you, back in the days when piloting in Australia (one of the most knuckle dragging nations in this regard) was 100% exclusively male, do you think planes were being crewed by the “best person”?
Orange future is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 04:11
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by exfocx View Post
Here we go, you post one dumb comment after another! Unless women are incompetent they will easily make the cut. I also think you over estimate what's required for the role, most likely poor self-esteem. The numbers game is to get more into the field over a faster time frame without affecting standards.
How is that a dumb comment? So you think the best candidate for the job shouldn't be chosen, regardless of gender?
AviationReviewWA is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 04:13
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Syd
Posts: 8
“who actually holds the correct qualification for the job in the first instance.”

Not answering the question at all.
Orange future is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 06:53
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The wrong time zone...
Posts: 657
How come in 99% of cases it's the woman whose career goes on hold, how come in 99% of cases it's the woman who continues to do the bulk of the housework while also working?
In a thread full of made-up, BS statistics, this is one of the bigger piles of manure I've read. Not the case in my household or in 76.8% of my colleagues' households.
josephfeatherweight is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 07:06
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Italy
Age: 30
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Icarus2001 View Post
Any announcement of gender parity in the cabin crew ranks? In the hangar? Check in staff? Bag loaders? ...
Oh no, please no!
Gender parity is only for professions wanted by women and only if they're the minority.
Call it "selective parity"...
bulldog89 is online now  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 07:13
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,539
Originally Posted by bulldog89 View Post


Oh no, please no!
Gender parity is only for professions wanted by women and only if they're the minority.
Call it "selective parity"...
When will men get XX weeks paid maternity leave?
Rated De is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 07:26
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Rated De View Post
When will men get XX weeks paid maternity leave?
Will never happen - as long as that man is not the child’s mother...

Paternity leave, on the other hand, is worth seeking equal rights for!
Stickshift3000 is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 07:32
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Equatorial
Age: 46
Posts: 515
Is paternity leave not available now?

Can of worms this entire topic.

Best human for the job, no problemo, however it’s not how it works. For eternity ones connections or whatever’s gets them through the door, then it is up to the individual to produce the goods. No self respecting trainer, examiner will pass anyone unless you meet the standard (ok there will be minor exceptions as in everything in life). Is it fair? However if you were on the side that got the leg up, what would you do? Take the moral high ground or???

Now tell me on here, how many of you got that first break due to connections of some sort? I will admit my first break NO but certainly my second and third got me speaking to the right people.

The world is a forever evolving place..........
Global Aviator is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 07:56
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Global Aviator View Post
Is paternity leave not available now?

Can of worms this entire topic.

Best human for the job, no problemo, however it’s not how it works. For eternity ones connections or whatever’s gets them through the door, then it is up to the individual to produce the goods. No self respecting trainer, examiner will pass anyone unless you meet the standard (ok there will be minor exceptions as in everything in life). Is it fair? However if you were on the side that got the leg up, what would you do? Take the moral high ground or???

Now tell me on here, how many of you got that first break due to connections of some sort? I will admit my first break NO but certainly my second and third got me speaking to the right people.

The world is a forever evolving place..........
well said mate
AviationReviewWA is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 08:18
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Since when in the past was it best person for the job? Oh, you all mean Best Man for the job!

In the past the industry was able to cut out over 50% of the pop (women) when it came to selecting pilots and the number of holes in the ground was what it was, did people go around screaming that we weren't selecting the best person for the job, did they, or have I missed something? So, how will that change when you choose to include women.

And for the intellectually challenged who keep going on about gender parity driving the shit cart etc, I'm sure women would LOVE that, it would mean an automatic improvement in their life as it would mean better pay and better jobs and they are OVER represented in all those shitty job areas.
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 08:25
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by josephfeatherweight View Post
In a thread full of made-up, BS statistics, this is one of the bigger piles of manure I've read. Not the case in my household or in 76.8% of my colleagues' households.
Your seriously deluded or an outright liar, your pick!

I would say less than 10% of men I know do anywhere near equal to what women do. Not only is it my experience, but it's what survey after survey confirms.
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 08:27
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: australia
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Orange future View Post

A question for you, back in the days when piloting in Australia (one of the most knuckle dragging nations in this regard) was 100% exclusively male, do you think planes were being crewed by the “best person”?
Apologies, missed this before I posted.
exfocx is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 08:45
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The wrong time zone...
Posts: 657
Your seriously deluded or an outright liar, your pick!
*You're
I would say less than 10% of men I know do anywhere near equal to what women do. Not only is it my experience, but it's what survey after survey confirms.
Show me these "surveys" that say 99% as per your "statistics". You lost me with "I would say"...

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 8th Nov 2019 at 09:11.
josephfeatherweight is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 08:48
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by exfocx View Post
lololololol. Like I said , you can't make this shit up! You automatically slam the woman, what, the father had no say, he couldn't take unpaid leave and do the childcare? You prove my point Icarus, you automatically assume the woman is responsible for parenting and the man isn't, and that's the issue and it's wide spread throughout the community, women are EXPECTED to do it all and if they have children they are accused of "wanting it all'!
Well they do want it all and won’t listen to reason. Babies need their mother after birth. It’s very selfish to expect the baby to be happy at daycare. Men can’t breastfeed, women can. That’s nature in action. They have been doing it for thousands of years.

So if you want to be a mother be a responsible mother and look after the child the way nature intended. Let the man go out and work and be protector of his family.

To those women who choose not to have families, good for you if you want to be a professional pilot but then you earn it on merit, no quotas or AA to help you along and discriminate against men, especially if at your assessment the men did a better job than you.
Daddy Fantastic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.