Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

climbing the ladder to...... nowhere?

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

climbing the ladder to...... nowhere?

Old 23rd Feb 2019, 07:56
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tent
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by V-Jet View Post
I just shared this epic piece in a group environment. I lost the plot and nearly choked on my martini with this gem:

íThere are four skills to using a ladder. Getting on it, going up it, going down it and getting off ití

ONLY in Australia!!
But there are many types of ladder - selecting the correct type is a skill.

But working on a ladder using only one hand (because three points of contact must be maintained) is the hardest skill - yet not mentioned by the chief.
Bend alot is online now  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 09:41
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 1,186
And when you successfully complete all four ladder exercises you are awarded a certificate proving you are certified ladder operator professional.
(I just made that up, many would have already guessed that but seeing the bottom levels of intelligence that we have reached I feel I need to make that clear)

Had something similar occur at my work with some dork suggesting we use the internet for all our private links because the internet is never down. There's a never ending supply of them.




cattletruck is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 12:17
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: GAFA
Posts: 27
That fire chief reminds me of some of my managers... Why not just wrap the world in bubble wrap? Probably because itís flammable... and round and round it goes...
kimbobimbo is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 12:47
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: oz
Posts: 255
As much as Mr Wood made a hash of dealing with some of the unrepresentative swill.

I doubt many politicians, pilots or PPRuNe pussies would know what to do with a fire saw or keep their shit together above 2 meters on a ladder under stress.

I see the point with training.
Iron Bar is offline  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 14:12
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: schermoney and left front seat
Age: 52
Posts: 2,248
Time to introduce a ladder simulater.
His dudeness is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 01:04
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Canberra
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by V-Jet View Post
íThere are four skills to using a ladder. Getting on it, going up it, going down it and getting off ití
ONLY in Australia!!
You forgot bringing the ladder, carrying it to site, setting it up, tethering/tieing it down so it doesn't fall, oh, wait, that's right, they now only buy $350m mechanical ladders attached to a truck and operated via pneumatic controls, so no one has to actually do any physical work.
Dee Vee is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 01:36
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 1,886
Perhaps we could legislate to only have safe accidents in the future!
Stationair8 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 02:49
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: WA
Posts: 1,198
Itís like a mining HSE policy. They will prattle on about safety being number one priority which it may weíll be not because they give a duck about the individual, just their reputation and bottom line.
i wouldnít blame the frontline ARFFS guys and girls for this. It clearly HSE puke all over it
YPJT is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 05:32
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Posts: 2,017
It's the Work Health & Safety world we now live in. The guys at the top are now personally financially and legally exposed to work practices down through their organizations that have potential to put their employees at risk. They have a duty under the law to remove or minimise as far as practicable workplace risk. If they knowingly ignore identified risks, and someone gets hurt on the job, they could go to jail. For an occupation like Aviation Fire Fighting, where 99.9% of the time the exposure to risk is during practice (and thus can and should be controlled to a degree), it's understandable that they look to minimise it. You make a mistake and crash your aircraft during practice (in the sim) you say bugger and reset. You make a mistake in practice and fall off a 20m ladder, it's sayonara. If you can learn those same ladder skills on a 2m ladder, why would you expose your employees to the greater risk, and thus expose yourself to the legal ramifications of a forseeable and avoidable mishap? I'm not a great fan of the marshmallow OHS world we live in now, but unfortunately (or fortunately if it saves you or a loved one from injury or death) it is the world we are now all compelled to live in.
Traffic_Is_Er_Was is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 06:30
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Australia
Age: 41
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by Traffic_Is_Er_Was View Post
It's the Work Health & Safety world we now live in. The guys at the top are now personally financially and legally exposed to work practices down through their organizations that have potential to put their employees at risk. They have a duty under the law to remove or minimise as far as practicable workplace risk. If they knowingly ignore identified risks, and someone gets hurt on the job, they could go to jail. For an occupation like Aviation Fire Fighting, where 99.9% of the time the exposure to risk is during practice (and thus can and should be controlled to a degree), it's understandable that they look to minimise it. You make a mistake and crash your aircraft during practice (in the sim) you say bugger and reset. You make a mistake in practice and fall off a 20m ladder, it's sayonara. If you can learn those same ladder skills on a 2m ladder, why would you expose your employees to the greater risk, and thus expose yourself to the legal ramifications of a forseeable and avoidable mishap? I'm not a great fan of the marshmallow OHS world we live in now, but unfortunately (or fortunately if it saves you or a loved one from injury or death) it is the world we are now all compelled to live in.
Soooo the fire they train with is pretend and canít burn them right?
red_dirt is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 06:47
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: All at sea
Posts: 1,653
Aaaand, how will we know if Calendar Boy has a head for heights?
If we carry this argument to conclusion, the SAS will never work with live ammunition, there will be no HUET for helicopter crews and most sports will be banned (croquet anyone?).
Mach E Avelli is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 07:07
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fliegensville, Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 13
Rather simply I see it as the best reply to the Senator is...."In order to comply with the WHS rules YOU (the gummint) introduced...our risk assesment people applied your requirements"
Fliegenmong is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 10:18
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 339
The guys at the top are now personally financially and legally exposed to work practices down through their organizations that have potential to put their employees at risk. They have a duty under the law to remove or minimise as far as practicable workplace risk.
But airlines ask me to sign a waiver stating that I knowingly accept the risk of increased radiation in my chosen career. Health and safety is a funny old thing isnít it...
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 07:19
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: australia
Age: 76
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by GA Driver View Post


Thereís probably also a procedure manual documenting said skills application!!
Good thing we are not in the EU. If we were it would have to have 16 Languages.
v
harrryw is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 10:12
  #35 (permalink)  

Evertonian
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: #3117# Ppruner of the Year Nominee 2005
Posts: 9,529
Highest I ever climbed in full gear for training was the equivalent of three storeys. Put my arm through a plaster ceiling on another night and that was the end of confined spaces training. Being one of the support brigades for the AFRS at Tulla, they are definitely dependent on Tanker support from the CFA & MFB here. Without it, it doesn't matter how many ladders or saws they carry, their water is gone in seconds.

Now, as much as it sounds ridiculous, I'm more bemused by 'Senators' who a) didn't actually listen to what he said and b) were too busy making jokes for their own amusement. Those pigs at the trough are more of a joke than any PC or HS&E madness.
Buster Hyman is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 15:49
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Posts: 2,017
Originally Posted by gordonfvckingramsay View Post


But airlines ask me to sign a waiver stating that I knowingly accept the risk of increased radiation in my chosen career. Health and safety is a funny old thing isnít it...
And you sign it. Concern for your own health and safety is a funny old thing isn't it.
Traffic_Is_Er_Was is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2019, 15:52
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Posts: 2,017
Originally Posted by red_dirt View Post


Soooo the fire they train with is pretend and can’t burn them right?

It can burn them, and that's why they take every precaution not to get burnt. I'm sure when push comes to shove, these guys will put their own lives on the line to pull your sorry arse out of the fire, but they sure as sh*t ain't going to get hurt or killed practising to do it.
Traffic_Is_Er_Was is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.