Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Jetconnect vs Jetstar First Officer

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Jetconnect vs Jetstar First Officer

Old 31st May 2017, 12:41
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 974
Are they flying dxb-akl non stop anyhow?
maggot is offline  
Old 31st May 2017, 15:34
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 427
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
Are they flying dxb-akl non stop anyhow?
Yes they are
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 07:11
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Zealand
Age: 50
Posts: 29
Cheers mate
flyingtool is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2017, 01:07
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3
JetStar Regional

Would someone be able to tell me what the interview is like, i.e
What type of questions get asked?
What the pay for a new First officer is?
Time to command upgrade?
Thanks

Last edited by Pacpilot; 11th Jun 2017 at 01:30. Reason: spelling
Pacpilot is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2017, 05:18
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3
Jetstar Regional NZ

Would someone be able to tell me what the interview is like, i.e
What type of questions get asked?
What the pay for a new First officer is?
Time to command upgrade?
Thanks
Pacpilot is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2017, 00:15
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Auckland
Posts: 2
For those interested, I came across this on Jetstar website.
Looks like a Jetstar/Jetstar regional/Jetconnect roadshow.


Pilot Roadshow - New Zealand | Jetstar
Trees getting bigger is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2018, 04:32
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Way up north
Age: 40
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Trees getting bigger View Post
For those interested, I came across this on Jetstar website.
Looks like a Jetstar/Jetstar regional/Jetconnect roadshow.


Pilot Roadshow - New Zealand Jetstar


Roadshows seem to be ongoing. I was just looked up by a recruiter and invited to attend one of them at the end of November.

Unfortunately, I'm working and can't attend. I asked the recruiter if she could tell me about the terms and conditions, compensation package etc. The recruiter told me that they will only provide that info to successful applicants. I'm not from here originally so I don't know if that's a fairly standard approach or not. Where I'm from if someone is evading telling you the basics of pay and roster it isn't worth applying.

Can anyone here shed some info on the basics? Captain and FO numbers would be appreciated.
Willing to Fly is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2018, 08:56
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Weltschmerz-By-The-Sea, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 727
What’s the big secret? And why would you go through the effort of applying for a job without knowing the conditions of service? Sounds like a typical HR clusterf*ck.
Australopithecus is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2018, 09:04
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OZZZZZZZZZZZ
Posts: 90
If its the NZ contract, it is quite different to the AUS one so they will be reluctant to give details away until you're hooked whether it be a local wanting to return home, first jet job or something else.
It isn't hard to find details of the specifics and the people on here should be able to answer what you want, just be specific with what you want to know and you'll find your answers.
Gear in transit is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2018, 13:34
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asia
Posts: 637
Companies should not go chasing employees on their own accord baiting them with no information. Approaching people with the means of then providing no sense of what, who, when, where and how much $$, until they actually get the green light? Sounds like some little pissy loco operation to me. Oh hold on....

You have Chinese carriers offering 400-500k, they are very upfront with salaries, schedule, allowances. I mean its all online for anyone to see.

Is this some sort of joke? Or are they just too ashamed to put the numbers out there.
wheels_down is offline  
Old 19th Nov 2018, 22:44
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Nz
Posts: 315
I think it would be pretty hard to sell the idea of no salary for 11 weeks. Is this even true?
The big problem for the Jetstars and Jetconnects of this world won’t be apparent for another three or four years when retirements spike.
I predict that they will have to dramatically increase their command upgrade training programs when they can’t fill the left seats due to current recruitment practices. Failure rates will be high unless they provide a stepped pathway to command where the bright young things are actually taught what used to be picked up through experience. It’s not the new recruits fault, they are being asked to learn more in less time with less resources while flying crappier rosters.
I would suggest a week long ‘ command preparation’ course after they have been on the line 12 months that involves both classroom and sim time. Then at least they can hit the line thinking for the second year of their job.
Who’s KPI will that hit though?
73qanda is online now  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 12:53
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Way up north
Age: 40
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Gear in transit View Post
If its the NZ contract, it is quite different to the AUS one so they will be reluctant to give details away until you're hooked whether it be a local wanting to return home, first jet job or something else.
It isn't hard to find details of the specifics and the people on here should be able to answer what you want, just be specific with what you want to know and you'll find your answers.
She mentioned that there was a difference between the NZ contract and the Oz contract. Apparently the Oz contract is out there somewhere in the public sphere but the NZ one is top secret.

Let's start with the NZ specifics: FO and Captain pay scales, number of days off per month, number of leave days per year. It looks like they are taking DEC's but on the off chance that someone gets in on an FO contract, what is required to get into the left seat? Is there any minimum time requirements (total time, time on type, time with the company once checked to the line)?

Also, does anyone know where the Australian contract is located so I can read up on it myself?
Willing to Fly is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 19:44
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 45
NZD $101 911 for FO. 65 hours stick, includes payment for sims, EPs and TechRefresher. Additional stick hours above 65 at $137.77 per hour. Super is Kiwisaver or equivalent fund, paid by Jestar at 4 1/2 percent of earnings. Unpaid whilst doing endorsement (~ 6 weeks).
No DEC, time to command currently 6 years.
You should be able to find the Jetstar EBA (Aust) on FWA resources
Daylight Robbery is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 00:22
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Way up north
Age: 40
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Daylight Robbery View Post
NZD $101 911 for FO. 65 hours stick, includes payment for sims, EPs and TechRefresher. Additional stick hours above 65 at $137.77 per hour. Super is Kiwisaver or equivalent fund, paid by Jestar at 4 1/2 percent of earnings. Unpaid whilst doing endorsement (~ 6 weeks).
No DEC, time to command currently 6 years.
You should be able to find the Jetstar EBA (Aust) on FWA resources

Thanks. I was under the understanding that command was faster than that. Maybe I misunderstood what I heard in the rumour mill.

When you upgrade, do you reset to year one captain or do you retain Years Of Service and enter at a higher pay rate? \

Is training still unpaid for 6-12 weeks? I have to admit that is a very long time not to have any income at all.
Willing to Fly is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 01:36
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dunnunda
Posts: 230
When you upgrade, I think it resets as you are a year 1 captain, but one of the other guys should be able to confirm (been awhile for me so I canít remeber)

The unpaid part is only whilst getting type rating. You arenít employed by JQ until you return with said type rating. This is one of the reasons they donít do their in house TR, because they have to pay you from the start (yes absolutely ridiculous, the joint is run by the HR guruís, they even have an in-house TR approved) so you end up with an ok type rating that luckily you didnít have to pay for, the downside is you donít get paid during that time.

If you upgrade, you are already employed so you are still on the payroll. Itís only the intial entry into the company you donít.

If youíre looking to live in NZ PERMANENTLY, then go for it, but donít do it if you are trying to get to OZ or have aspiration of long haul/787
GA Driver is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 08:00
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Way up north
Age: 40
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by GA Driver View Post
When you upgrade, I think it resets as you are a year 1 captain, but one of the other guys should be able to confirm (been awhile for me so I canít remeber)

The unpaid part is only whilst getting type rating. You arenít employed by JQ until you return with said type rating. This is one of the reasons they donít do their in house TR, because they have to pay you from the start (yes absolutely ridiculous, the joint is run by the HR guruís, they even have an in-house TR approved) so you end up with an ok type rating that luckily you didnít have to pay for, the downside is you donít get paid during that time.

If you upgrade, you are already employed so you are still on the payroll. Itís only the intial entry into the company you donít.

If youíre looking to live in NZ PERMANENTLY, then go for it, but donít do it if you are trying to get to OZ or have aspiration of long haul/787
What if you already come with a 737 type rating?
Willing to Fly is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 08:09
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dunnunda
Posts: 230
Ahhhhh, they operate A320-321ís and 787ís. You need to get that type rating, so the 737 endorsement wonít assist in the slightest. Re-read post above yours.
And no, It wonít assist even if it was an S/O position on the 787.....
GA Driver is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 09:42
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Way up north
Age: 40
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by GA Driver View Post
Ahhhhh, they operate A320-321ís and 787ís. You need to get that type rating, so the 737 endorsement wonít assist in the slightest. Re-read post above yours.
And no, It wonít assist even if it was an S/O position on the 787.....
Sorry. I thought Jetconnect was all 737's.
Willing to Fly is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 18:49
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: At Home
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by Willing to Fly View Post
Sorry. I thought Jetconnect was all 737's.
They are. It would seem previous posters were referring to J*.
ElZilcho is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 22:00
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Enzed
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by Willing to Fly View Post
Sorry. I thought Jetconnect was all 737's.
Previous posts are about Jetstar, but for the record, you are now employed and paid during the TR at Jetconnect. It's only enough to live on (mid 40s) but sure beats two months of unemployment. Other pay scales are in the pay comparison thread.

As for time to command, it's not really known until Qantas amend the TACM etc. to account for NZ pilots, as the current QF command minimums don't allow for upgrades ~3 years after joining for obvious reasons.
fullnoise is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.