Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

NATS interview process

ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

NATS interview process

Old 2nd Aug 2017, 12:20
  #10281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dorset
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emiliete1990
Hi ns92.

Thanks a lot

So if you have passed stage 2 (the first 2 online tests from home are stages 0 & 1), you must have done the divided attention test, dinamic radar test, planning test..., etc.

Did this stage included the collision avoidance test?

Kind Regards
Emilio
Sorry, facepalm!! I mixed up stage 1 and 2. I passed my stage 1. I forgot that there is a stage 0 whilst I've been waiting for my dates So of no help haha
ns92 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2017, 15:08
  #10282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ns92
Sorry, facepalm!! I mixed up stage 1 and 2. I passed my stage 1. I forgot that there is a stage 0 whilst I've been waiting for my dates So of no help haha
hahaha ok. no problem

good luck on stage 2!
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 16:19
  #10283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I'm heading down for stage 3 on September 13th so fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on multi-pass? Most of the people overseeing my stage 2 seemed to think it was just a formality as opposed to having much say in the final outcome.

Also what were the interviews like? Is it mainly motivation and competency based or do they dig into the personality questionnaire that much?

Cheers!
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 13:36
  #10284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Torbay
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with stage 2!

Originally Posted by Daleboy93
Hi all,

I'm heading down for stage 3 on September 13th so fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on multi-pass? Most of the people overseeing my stage 2 seemed to think it was just a formality as opposed to having much say in the final outcome.

Also what were the interviews like? Is it mainly motivation and competency based or do they dig into the personality questionnaire that much?

Cheers!

Well done for getting to stage 3! I have my stage 2 in a couple of weeks, how did you find it? how much prep did you do?!

I'm actually super nervous for it as I dont know what to expect!
aliceniamh is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 14:23
  #10285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aliceniamh
Well done for getting to stage 3! I have my stage 2 in a couple of weeks, how did you find it? how much prep did you do?!

I'm actually super nervous for it as I dont know what to expect!

Congrats It's an intense day!

Just make sure you're really familiar with the booklet. If you know that inside out there will be absolutely no issue.

You really can't practice or prepare for FEAST other than having a go at the games on the website and similar online stuff, just stay focussed and try not to let little mistakes or problems throw you off.

Just get a good rest and try not to get too nervous and I'm sure you'll be fine!
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 14:25
  #10286 (permalink)  
Igi
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aliceniamh
Hey guys!

This thread has been super helpful so far! I got the email to book onto an assessment day this morning!

I've booked onto the 17th August!

Anyone else looking at that one? I'm travelling from Devon so have booked a hotel for the night before!

Other than reading all the information, are there any tips to help pass the other assessments? Read a lot about 'cubes'...is there any where these can be practiced?!

Thank you in advance!
Hey aliceniamh,

I've done my stages 0&1 last week and just booked stage 2 on 17th of August as well!

I see you booked quite some time ago, having a lot of time for preparation.

Matching those airlines with aircraft is giving me a bit of a hard time and it's making me slightly nervous, but I guess it will be fine as time goes. How are you getting on?

I also booked a room to stay there the night before due to early start.

Hope all goes well for all attending on 17th!
Igi is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2017, 18:39
  #10287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daleboy93
Hi all,

I'm heading down for stage 3 on September 13th so fingers crossed!

Does anyone know how much emphasis they place on multi-pass? Most of the people overseeing my stage 2 seemed to think it was just a formality as opposed to having much say in the final outcome.

Also what were the interviews like? Is it mainly motivation and competency based or do they dig into the personality questionnaire that much?

Cheers!
Hi Daleboy93.

Congratulations! Can you please advise how the stage 2 is? are the collision avoidance and strip management tests still being taken?

Regards
Emilio
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2017, 09:40
  #10288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Essex
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Stage Assessment - 11 August

Hi,

I'm attending the Stage 2 Day on 11 August - anyone else going to be there?

How much emphasis is put on the aircraft description section in the document NATS send you for the 1st test? Is the test all multiple choice?

Thanks in advance.
FatManc is offline  
Old 5th Aug 2017, 20:58
  #10289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much emphasis is put on the aircraft description section in the document NATS send you for the 1st test? Is the test all multiple choice?
Don't get super stressed over the booklet. Yes, you need to know it all because it's an even spread of questions but it's a very small part of the day and by the end of FEAST you'll be so fried you've forgotten the contents entirely.

Can you please advise how the stage 2 is? are the collision avoidance and strip management tests still being taken?
I can't really disclose any info on the tests. If you pass FEAST you move onto DART which I presume is the collision avoidance you're talking about Emilio?

The only thing you can prepare is the booklet, it doesn't matter how much you know about the tests before you go into them because you can't practise.

Hope that helps
Daleboy93 is offline  
Old 6th Aug 2017, 07:45
  #10290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: High Wycombe
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daleboy93
I can't really disclose any info on the tests. If you pass FEAST you move onto DART which I presume is the collision avoidance you're talking about Emilio?

The only thing you can prepare is the booklet, it doesn't matter how much you know about the tests before you go into them because you can't practise.

Hope that helps
No problem. I was asking because I heard about that test separately from the DART. I was confused because DART already assesses you on separation and collision avoidance.

So they don't make you take additional tests on stage 2, right? Just FEAST and DART?

Thanks for your help.
emiliete1990 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2017, 14:32
  #10291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dorset
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I have someone's advice? I will be cycling 5 miles between my home and train and NATS for my stage 2. But the dress code is smart? What should I wear? I'm a woman by the way. Should I speak to recuritment about this? haha
ns92 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2017, 15:54
  #10292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Down South
Posts: 300
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you cycling from the NATS end or just to your local station? If the latter, then take something to change into on the train and get changed once you've unsweated a bit.

If you're planning on cycling from the station at Swanwick, might I suggest a taxi instead. It's only a couple of miles so it won't be extortionate
The Many Tentacles is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2017, 22:20
  #10293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirsteneg
There's 3 stages to the assessment day, you have to pass each one to progress to the next. If you fail the first one for example you could be done by 9am. If you get through to the final test you'll likely be finished by 3 pm.

Where in Scotland are you travelling from? I found it was much cheaper to fly to Gatwick and get the train through. The first time I went down my partner and I stayed a couple nights in Southampton to make the most of it. I would say you would have to stay a night but depends when the latest flight out is.
Hey Kirsten,

Apologies for the delay in response! I ended up finding it cheaper to fly to Southampton and I'll fly down the night before. My assessment is at the end of the month - really excited!

Best wishes,
Jonathan
jonathanhere is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2017, 10:39
  #10294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Dorset
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Many Tentacles
Are you cycling from the NATS end or just to your local station? If the latter, then take something to change into on the train and get changed once you've unsweated a bit.

If you're planning on cycling from the station at Swanwick, might I suggest a taxi instead. It's only a couple of miles so it won't be extortionate

I was planning on my house -> station, train, Swanwick -> NATS (2 miles). I could get a taxi but then I'd have to taxi back as well. Was wanting to keep costs low-ish. The benefit of living close-ish is train will only cost me 16.

Are people really doing FEAST and DART tuxed up or something? A dress is the last thing I'd want to be in haha
ns92 is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2017, 11:48
  #10295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: behind the fruit
Posts: 233
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Nats planning on sending more courses to Global ATS in the future or this is just a one off?
LEGAL TENDER is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2017, 21:45
  #10296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Torbay
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igi
Hey aliceniamh,

I've done my stages 0&1 last week and just booked stage 2 on 17th of August as well!

I see you booked quite some time ago, having a lot of time for preparation.

Matching those airlines with aircraft is giving me a bit of a hard time and it's making me slightly nervous, but I guess it will be fine as time goes. How are you getting on?

I also booked a room to stay there the night before due to early start.

Hope all goes well for all attending on 17th!
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I booked a while ago however my dissertation was due yesterday so haven't had much time to even look at the booklet, I'm going to get my head into it tomorrow, should all be fine!

Good luck for the 17th! 😁
aliceniamh is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2017, 12:01
  #10297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stevenston, Scotland
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, this thread has been really helpful so far butI still have a question, I am through to stage 2 and I am booked in for October 3rd, only reason I went that late is so I could gather up money to actually get down aswell as revise so is anyone else on here booked in for then ?

The main question I have is for the questionaire regarding the booklet, are the questions multiple choice or free written ?

Thank you in advance
Marcgray96 is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2017, 21:35
  #10298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Gosport
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January 2018

Hi there folks, if anyone has been accepted onto the January 2018 course, I've started a Facebook group for it. Please pm me for any details!
Storms88 is offline  
Old 11th Aug 2017, 07:44
  #10299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Storms88
Hi there folks, if anyone has been accepted onto the January 2018 course, I've started a Facebook group for it. Please pm me for any details!
Hey, can't figure out how to pm you, but I've been allocated this course too. Can you pm me the details of the fb group?
Kirsteneg is offline  
Old 13th Aug 2017, 12:28
  #10300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: England
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya guys!
It's been a little while since i posted so i've been catching up on the posts. How did you guys get on who went for Stage 2 on 11th?
I've got my Stage 2 on 31st August and i'm super nervous! On that note, can anyone tell me - I was reading through the info and that section where it says if you fail you'll 'be invited to leave' how do they do this? Do they just call the successful people through and then if you're not called you just leave or?
I guess i'm just adding bait of extra pressure on myself by worrying about if that happens and being super embarrassed! (probably a stupid thought i know)

Thanks again guys!
Hopefully i'll see some of you soon!
aspiringatco93 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.