PDA

View Full Version : Radio call -can they hear you...???

hasell
1st Feb 2002, 21:06
Hi, . .dumb question but here goes.... .I was practicing circuit rejoins the other day.. .My home field is W.Waltham, I was heading west, made my departure call and left the circuit for r.way 21. . .I was heading west and was still tuned into waltham (122.60), when I heard an 'american' voice saying "Good morning... bla bla bla ... 30 mins. in-bound". .-this message was repeated a few times and then followed by other details, such as number of passengers... -it was at this point my instructor and I looked at each other and joked "Well it appears 'we' have 230 passengers on board today". .My question is :-. .If we could hear his R/T, could he hear mine to waltham radio & also was he talkin on the wrong frequency?

Roadtrip
1st Feb 2002, 21:13
Most likely he was on the wrong freq. He was probably trying to talk to his company operations. A simple "check freq American" would probably be in order to prevent him from clogging up the airport freq.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
2nd Feb 2002, 00:16
Not necessarily the wrong freq. He may have been on his own company freq/ATC which had been deemed to be far enough away from WW that it would not interfere. There are many examples of 'shared' freqs that overlap.

Pilot Pete
2nd Feb 2002, 01:01
It's also amusing when you hear someone's PA on a London freq! There but for the grace of God......!

PP

Mr Magoo
2nd Feb 2002, 01:33
Could be your comm set receiving the "image" frequency, the guy could have been on 133.3 and quite close to you, if your comm transceivers got a first I.F. of 10.7MHz with high side L.O. injection and the front end filtering isn't up to much your receiver will "think it's hearing the other guy while he's on that frequency.

Flash2001
3rd Feb 2002, 00:59
Tuned to 122.6 with a 10.7 MHz IF the image would be at 144.0, not an aeronautical frequency as far as I know.

Blue Hauler
3rd Feb 2002, 07:30
I have experienced similar ‘freak radio conditions’ in Australia, particularly on our company aeronautical frequency. It seems that under certain conditions involving temperature inversion, the VHF radio signal may travel many hundreds of miles. I have usually experienced the condition in the lower altitudes during winter when inversions in the seven to ten thousand foot levels are not uncommon.