PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet to Buy FLS

evolante
29th Jul 2003, 23:10
Reliably informed - what else is known???

mono
31st Jul 2003, 00:09
Why on earth would a (allegedly) low cost airline want to buy a third party maintenance and engineering organisation? One of the reasons their costs are so low is because they sub-contract out their maintenance to the lowest bidder.

Hilico
31st Jul 2003, 01:17
1. In my (bitter and painful) experience the benefits of outsourcing are illusory. The people who make the money are a) the lawyers when drawing up the supply contract, and b) the lawyers when it all goes down the toilet and everyone sues everyone else. Cut out the outsourcing and save yourself money twice over.

2. FLS don't only do work for Easy, do they? If Easy controls FLS, it controls the charges to those third parties...which increase. Then it's a profit centre for the LCC.

evolante
1st Aug 2003, 00:43
Remember the size of the new aircraft order - they will be one of the largest operators in Europe.....

Slim20
1st Aug 2003, 03:13
Duuhhh!

Why all the "low cost" excuses? EJ are not a low cost airline. They are a *stupid* airline. So if you hear a rumour about easyJet that makes you think "But Why? That's just stupid! " then it's probably true.

PAXboy
3rd Aug 2003, 02:50
Hilico: "In my (bitter and painful) experience the benefits of outsourcing are illusory."

I agree totally. I was in the telecomms and IT game for 23 years, so I have seen this rash break out and gain hold. There are too many reasons against outsourcing for me to go into them here. But, from when I first encountered it in 1989, I never believed it and am waiting quietly for the wheel to turn.

One generation of young bloods made money by introdcing it and selling it and saying good things about it. The next generation will make money by doing the opposite.

It's called Life! :rolleyes:

HZ123
3rd Aug 2003, 20:17
Sounds a good idea if they have a good set of books. By the way who actually owns FLS aerospace. I believe that their staff costs levels are low as the majority of engineering staff are or used to be self employed payed by and for the jobs.

Flying_Tuur
4th Aug 2003, 07:50
Just heard from our FLS engineer here in EDI that SR Technics, the Swiss guys, would like to buy FSL, except for the line maintenance. The guy was quite concerned about his job here up north. He was hoping for easyTech to take over the FLS line maintenance.
Hope they keep their jobs, they're good at it..

evolante
4th Aug 2003, 15:59
From experience of SRT I cannot imagine they could organise a tea party let alone a takeover of FLS.

They are management top-heavy, reactive not proactive, expensive, out of line with much of the market and have no clear marketing strategy.

Furthermore their computerised aircraft records system is a nightmare.

Where would the money come from to buy FLS??

Nopax,thanx
5th Aug 2003, 20:39
From my experience at FLS (88-94) then SR Technics would be ideal - not much different from all the other clowns that have been "running" the place....:p

Don't think easy are buying them, just taking their business elsewhere.

More info here.........

http://www.airmech.co.uk/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=000108