Flying Farmer
4th Nov 2001, 15:48
A question on Rate intergrating gyros, are they used in,
1.inertial attitude units
2.automatic pilot
3.a stabilizing servo system
4.inertial nav system
5.rate of turn indicator

I reckon 1 and 4 with possibly 2and 3 Help.

Flap40
4th Nov 2001, 21:24
My guess would be 5, but then it is 12years since i read the books! :eek:

redsnail
4th Nov 2001, 21:57
Ok, digging up some books and my recent ATPL notes.
A rate gyroscope is used to detect rates of turn. It has only one gimbal ring and it has a calibrated spring connected between the gimbal ring and casing to restrain movement about the longitudinal axis. Pallet, Aircraft Systems and Integrated Systems

A rate integrating gyro can be found in an INS/IRS (usually a rate sensor - ie a RLG). An integrating gyro senses movement about one axis and that the rate changes are integrated to give distance changes.
A rate integrating gyro is also used in the stability or inner loop of the autopilot.
Pallet, own study notes

The intertial attitude indicator I am not too sure on but the stabilizing servo mechanism is found on the autopilot.
So, if was me, I would say the rate integrating gyro can be found on 1-4, the rate gyro, 5 only.
Good luck.

max motor
4th Nov 2001, 22:17
I agree with redsnail

Rate gyros are used in the rate of turn indicator where a pure rate signal is required.

The other systems require displacement signals and possibly rate signals as well depending on the design. In order to obtain displacement the rate signal must be integrated.

Max

Flying Farmer
5th Nov 2001, 13:17
Thanks all, reckon the instrument paper will be a b#####d,still all be over by Thursday!

Flying F

Fingerbang
6th Nov 2001, 00:20
1 and 4 in the feedback I have had - and it came up in our exam last month so you may well get it.