PDA

View Full Version : Mind The Gap

Gorgophone
13th Jul 2003, 00:09
If I understand the situation correctly, there is no agency responsible for health and safety at work for aircraft in flight. My experience tells me that companies may assume that standards applicable on the ground, at their desks, are the same as in the air. We know that the health of pilots is subject to far greater stressors than that – a pilot’s heartrate often exceeding the norm during take-off and landing. This, without the added stressor of fatigue. (The effects of stress are cumulative) In the meantime crews are working, not knowing that their working status is not covered by clear procedures underpinned by law.

I have since seen a copy of the Health and Safety Commission paper HSC/02/54 14 May 2002, by Graeme Henderson, SPDA4. Stating that the “House of Lords Science and Technology Committee during its investigation into aviation health issues identified a lacuna in that no regulatory body appeared to have any responsibility for the regulation and enforcement of health and safety issues on aircraft whilst in flight."

What does this mean for crews who experience sudden, violent and incapacitating illness in flight? What are the ramifications for their families if there is a subsequent work-related death?

Mindthegap
14th Jul 2003, 17:57
What...? oh sorry I thaught you were calling me.

Notso Fantastic
15th Jul 2003, 00:22
I think you will find the Civil Aviation Authority (for the UK) takes a very great interest in any civil aeroplane related incidents resulting in death or injury to persons onboard. Compulsory filing of Air Safety/Mandatory Incident Reports etc.

Gorgophone
15th Jul 2003, 05:04
Notso Fantastic - are you sure? Remember, not all deaths which are work related happen on board the aircraft. For instance, suicide.

I think you will find that, according to the Protocol on Work Related Deaths, a decision to determine whether a death is work related or not belongs to joint agencies. (HSE., CPS., Police, Local Government Association; CAA). If the CAA assumes a death is not work-related and omits to inform the other agencies they will not be engaged in the process. The death will not be investigated, with all that means for management and organizational failures.

According to Victims' Groups this might very well happen, ie has happened, and the subject will be forgotten without families having any say in the matter. The point is - the law, in its present state, allows this.

Was Capt. Stuart Clapson's death recorded as work related? (no matter what you thought of his behaviour) Whether it was or not will affect how his family will have been treated and also how future similar cases will be treated.

What are the issues? Does anyone know?

If the CAA are so interested why isn't there a Department supplying statistics? Why no transparency?

If you are sure, tell me the relevant laws and procedures.....