PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt Crossing Atlantic!

Deeko01
6th Jul 2003, 22:59
Hi,

Dennis Wood former BA pilot and Jack Berkin (Both 68) are supposed to be attempting to cross the atlantic from UK to the US in a homebuilt in memory of the Wright Brothers achievement.

I have done various searches on the net for info on this but to no avail so just wondered if anyone knows a bit more about this or a web link or something.

Thanks
Del

p.s. ITV Teletext says its delayed due weather.

Pianorak
7th Jul 2003, 23:40
The Times, 7 July 2003:

<<Denis Wood, a retired British Airways pilot, and his friend Jack Berkin, both 68, who are attempting to fly from the US to Scotland in a homemade plane, completed the third leg to Goose Bay, Canada. Today they plan to complete the trans-Atlantic element of their trip, to Greenland.>>

flyingfemme
8th Jul 2003, 01:19
Assuming they are travelling west-to-east then Goose-Greenland is only the first Atlantic leg.........

The BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/3051004.stm) make a bit more sense.....

Sir George Cayley
8th Jul 2003, 06:43
Looks to me like their arrival at these shores may coincide with PFA Rally which this year is at Kemble

If they do make it then the longest distance annual prize should be theirs!

Love the Velocity - Its a sleek Rutanesque canard that looks right and flys right

Good luck to them both and God speed

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

camaro
8th Jul 2003, 14:17
Thought you might be interested to know that two Brits are doing the same but in the oposite direction. Ray Clegg and Nick Riddin will be taking Ray's homebuilt Kis Cruiser from Netherthorpe to Oskosh later this month.

Sir George Cayley
9th Jul 2003, 17:22
BBC Ceefax is reporting that Dennis and Jack have landed at Blackpool having x'ed the pond

Well done guys - and so old too!

So a quick hop down to Kemble for the weekend to collect your prize should be piece of cake

Sir George Cayley

The air is a navigable ocean that laps at everyones door

FWA NATCA
10th Jul 2003, 02:00
camaro,

Hopefully I will get a chance to meet Ray and Nick at Oshkosh, do you know the tail number of their aircraft so that I can look for them.

I'm working as one of the controllers at the Tower so it would be neat to meet them.

Mike

camaro
10th Jul 2003, 14:30
FWA NATCA

Ray's Kis Cruiser is G-BYZD.

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/GImages/g-byzd001.jpg

Camaro

GK430
10th Jul 2003, 16:12
CAMARO
How do you post photos like that straight into pprune ??
I went to digital recently and haven't had time to play.

Thanks.

FWA NATCA
11th Jul 2003, 00:11
camaro,

Thanks, with a nice looking airplane like that they should be easy to locate.

Mike

camaro
11th Jul 2003, 01:27
GK430

First of all, the pic has to be on the internet somewhere already (ie on another website).

When you've located the image you want, right click on it and then click "Properties" in the box that opens up. This will show you yet another box with all the details of the image in question. the bit you are interested in is the "Address" line - eg, if you go through this process for the pic I posted in this thread you will see that the address line is:

http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/GImages/g-byzd001.jpg

Make a note of the address line.

To put this pic into your reply to a thread click on the "IMG" button (underneath the Message Icons) and then put the address details you made a note of earlier into the text box that appears. Click "okay" and finish your reply. All being well, when your reply is posted to the thread it should have your piccy attached.

Hope this helps - it sounds more complicated than it actually is!

Camaro

GK430
11th Jul 2003, 15:29
CAMARO
Many thanks. I have seen threads in these forums with contributors asking to see the photo of this or that and sometimes I have them, but couldn't produce them.

..........I'll get round to it.:ok: