PDA

View Full Version : Go Airlines 737 Decompression

Trainee pilot
1st Jun 2001, 23:43
A few days ago a Go 737 enroute from Belfast to Nice after a 7 hour delay had a decompression at 35,000 feet. It was not rapid but needless to say the oxy masks dropped out and a rapid decsent to 14,000 feet was made with a diversion back to base at Stansted. Apparently a cargo door had not been closed properly at Belfast. Go Airlines had 5 unservicable aircraft at Stansted and a further delay was forced upon the poor passengers. The worst part of it is, they made the SAME crew take the replacement to nice that same day. Might they have been a bit stressed by then to conduct a safe flight? One lucky passenger was sitting on the jumpseat throughout the said flight and witnessed all the dealings as they had 149 passengers and only 148 seats (or there abouts). Oh well, 6 sectors a day as usual!

OrsonCart
2nd Jun 2001, 00:07
I thought that the low-cost had taken a bog out to make 149.

Go, I think, do not operate EGAA-LFMN direct???

So who is winding WHO up?

Herod
2nd Jun 2001, 00:20
Journo alert?? BTW, Easy I believe are going to take a toilet out, but I don't think Go have.

Trainee pilot
2nd Jun 2001, 00:26
ORSONCART:

I am not too sure why it was from Belfast but I was told the story by a member of the crew. Certainly not a wind up....

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Jun 2001, 01:15
TP - lots of factual errors there my friend but yes their was a depress resulting in a PAN state and rapid descent. A/c landed at EGSS without further incident.

No big deal.

160to4DME
2nd Jun 2001, 01:37
WWW is quite correct

Decompression, 7700, rapid descent, other traffic vectored clear, initially declared div to MAN, then decided to continue to STN at FL100, got direct BPK.

Total non-event.

'nuff said.

Phil McCavity
2nd Jun 2001, 04:36
Well, just a wee event perhaps?

[This message has been edited by Phil McCavity (edited 02 June 2001).]

DanJ
2nd Jun 2001, 05:20
Improperly closed a baggage door? They're practically idiotproof. (least, I've never had trouble with one so they MUST be idiot proof :-) )
DanJ

dallas dude
2nd Jun 2001, 05:35
Trainee Pilot,

If GO were to put passengers on flight deck jumpseats there would probably be a fight amongst the other 146 "unlucky" pax.

Are you sure?

dd

Yak Hunt
2nd Jun 2001, 11:11
Sounds like a good reason to keep pax off the J/S!!! Impropely shut cargo door - don't think so!! Cargo door warning perhaps (microswitch) however the procedure is to carry on as normal if there no loss of pressure.
' Last week a crippled Airliner belonging to the Airline GO, which is owned by British Airways had a lucky escape when it made an emergency landing at Stansted. Mr Doris Scruggs who was sat in one of the pilots seats said 'The two young men done brilliant, they saved my life, and they avoided landing on a local school' This is not the only problem to have affected the beleagured Airline, a month ago a baggage trolley is believed to have touched the side of the aircraft - scratching the paint'
Imakeitup@thedailymisinformer

Trainee pilot
2nd Jun 2001, 12:07
Dallas Dude.........

As I said before and as WWW pointed out, not all of the information might be totally correct. All I know is that I was told by a member of the crew who is a good friend of mine.......perhaps after such a long delay they were desperate to get all the pax away and thought it stupid to leave one behind, I don't quite know. If it is true then he/she was a lucky B*****D and I'm very jeleaus! I always seem to get the excuse when I travel:"Sorry sir but it is a training flight today"!

Raw Data
2nd Jun 2001, 15:12
Trainee Pilot: sorry, but there are times (usually on the last sector of a long day) when we don't really want people on the flight deck, as they tend to ask inane questions, talk over ATC transmissions, and generally prevent us from relaxing a bit. Usually, you are most welcome... just try and respect our decision if you aren't!!

I thank you...

nice_beaver
2nd Jun 2001, 21:56
Accepted most of the incident seems to be mis reported, but is it legal to put a fare paying passenger on the jump seat and hence carry 149 when the insurance cover is for 148 pax???

Lord Fulmer
2nd Jun 2001, 22:07
To set the record straight, ........it was apparently a rear cargo door seal that failed ,and, as to the jump seat punter, it is against company policy to carry fare paying pax on the jumpseat .

E. MORSE
3rd Jun 2001, 01:42
A Non-event ?
No big deal ?

Excuse me !

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Jun 2001, 02:22
There was no fare paid for the jumpseat. Standard emergency, standard drills, standard outcome.

160to4DME
3rd Jun 2001, 15:55
E Morse

It's just that as a professional body on a professional forum, I don't think we should hype up things which might attract the attention of journos who read these boards in search of nothing more than a cheap story.

Regards

Lance
3rd Jun 2001, 18:39
Well I haven't laughed so much for ages. Thanks WWW for trying to get some of these skewed facts correct.
Go is insured for 149 pax.
Yes pax on jumpseat.
Yes rear cargo door seal failure.
Flight EGAA-EGSS.
Crew happy to continue duty.

mach78
3rd Jun 2001, 21:06
Perhaps the pax didn't concur this was a non-event at the time!?!

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Jun 2001, 21:26
The Pax behaved remarkably well displaying all the traits of british stoicism that one normally assumes to be absent these days.

Trainee pilot
3rd Jun 2001, 21:40
Well, what can I say. In future I think I'll keep my mouth shut. It seems everyone likes to try to contradict what the other person says. It always seems to turn into a brawl of who's right and who's wrong. As for my comment on the flight deck visit excuse I fully respect their answer and would probably do the same sometimes, it was just a comment that I have been unlucky, that's all. As to Mr. WWW, I understand your position is to try to prevent the wrong info being spread across these pages and you do a very good neutral job. In future I think I'll just read what other people have to say in this dog eat dog forum and make my own conclusions as to the correct answer. People DO have a right to know certain things and it is sometimes very hard to find the truth. Most times people tend to settle for what they believe in and that is fine too as long as that's as far as it goes. I'll still play an active part in PPRuNe as it has been very helpful but I don't wish it become a victim of it's own success (like the M25), can I say that?! Anyway, I started this topic so I'll finish it! Good luck to all of you with your careers and hopefully I'll have the pleasure in flying with some of you one day. Till then, stay cool, head down and fly like you've never flown before (just pass those damn ground exams first!)......See you on the flight deck........

JB007
3rd Jun 2001, 21:49
Yep...welcome to the wonderful world of PPRuNe where the ego's are bigger than the advertisements !!! ;)

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

Raw Data
3rd Jun 2001, 23:24
Maybe, JB007, but the egos take a lot less time to load!! ;)

I hope you are including yourself in your judgement...