PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft blocking runway @ LHR

Idunno
16th May 2003, 08:45
Got a 30 minute hold warning en route to LHR this evening by ATC. Eventually panned out at around 15 mins in BNN. We were told an 'aircraft was blocking 27R'.

After landing we saw a HS125 sitting in one of the vehicle exits on the right of 27R.

Any ideas on what it was all about?

Archard
16th May 2003, 13:30
Gold Air Internationl Limited of Cambridge BAE 125-800B burst a tyre on landing. Tyre since replaced and aircraft now parked in the BMI hangar. Registratio G-OLDD.

Gonzo
16th May 2003, 16:11
Quite novel to see from the tower. I was sure I told him to vacate left! :ooh:

Gonzo.

Yellow Snow
16th May 2003, 18:26
In all fairness to the crew, at one point the undercarriage was flaming, so they may have turned to face the north with the wind from the south.
Maybe that or Gonzo got it wrong:D
In all fairness nice work my waistcoat wearing friend.

Gonzo
16th May 2003, 19:06
Ok, so I didn't tell him which way to vacate, he told me he was doing it, and I wasn't going to argue! I was a bit more concerned with my impending air display with multiple go-arounds! Hey, just thought, no-one tell the BBC. I had two in a row! How dangerous was that?????????? :rolleyes:

It was the starboard undercarriage that failed, so I guess it was pulling to the right anyway, maybe he couldn't turn left at all. Looked well handled from where I was sitting, certainly. Very cool and calm on the R/T, I can only imagine what's going through their minds at that point. I know what was going through mine! Crew got out pretty quickly after stopping and got their mobiles out! "Hey, Boss, you'll never guess............"

And you're not beyond thanks, either, Yellow Snow. We make a good team I think :ok: . I s'pose that'll serve me right for getting three straight sessions of Air Arrivals without complaining!!!!!!!!

Gonzo.

Idunno
16th May 2003, 20:04
Gonzo thanks to you guys in LHR too for keeping the disruption to a minimum. Great service as ever.:ok:

Gonzo
16th May 2003, 20:10
No probs Idunno, it's what we get paid for!

Point Seven
16th May 2003, 20:16
Unless you happen to be scraping a living on T&D;)

eyeinthesky
16th May 2003, 20:48
I understand from the news today that Ann Summers is having trouble recruiting people because of ban on advertising... (Headline on Working Lunch : "Jobs Blow?":D )

Conspiracy theorists might think....

GT3
16th May 2003, 21:41
Unless you happen to be scraping a living on T&D

hahahaha, yeah right ;)

chippy63
16th May 2003, 22:17
Glad it didn't happen when BA 7083 was taking off...for Bilbao.

southern duel
18th May 2003, 05:39
Hey Gonzo

It did look a bit strange facing north and i thought the Skipper was very considerate ending up parked 10 mtrs from RVPN !!!!!

Perhaps he thought the LFB might get lost if he ended up elsewhere.

Ops Boys didnt do a bad job either getting the runway back in about 25 mins !!

The only sore point apart from the fiasco between the handling agent and another well known handler at LHR in trying to position the aircraft in a safer position was it happened on shift changeover, now that was very inconsiderate

:O

leonbrumsack
18th May 2003, 20:42
What fiasco between the handling agent and another well-known LHR handling agent?

leonbrumsack
20th May 2003, 03:11
Do I take it that nobody wants to tell me? :{

Gonzo
20th May 2003, 03:43
I got no idea!

And I don't mean generally, I mean about any fiasco.

leonbrumsack
20th May 2003, 04:35
Thanks a lot, Gonzo, just wondering what Southern Duel meant by their comment! Just another case of me being nosey I am afraid!