PDA

View Full Version : Go-arounds to be scrapped at LHR

GT3
14th May 2003, 22:25
The BBC made us aware last night go-arounds are a very risky business and with that in mind they are no longer to be practiced at LHR.

To prevent the possiblity of a mid-air collision over london, all aircraft WILL land no matter what the circumsances eg. many other planes on the runway/broken down tug on runway/escaped animals running wildly around LHR as if its the serenghetii.

We hope this instills confidence in a clearly unsafe pastime.

vertigo
14th May 2003, 22:53
Now if the tower controllers worked a bit harder at getting the planes off the runway, there'd be no need for go arounds ;)

GT3
14th May 2003, 23:24
;) now theres a thought

ZRH
15th May 2003, 01:45
Or you could make the spacing between traffic on final sooo big that they wouldn't have to go-around, but rather "re-position"

reynoldsno1
15th May 2003, 04:46
Why not cut out the middle men and let the BBC take over LHR?

Trinity 09L
15th May 2003, 05:19
:p Too many luvvies, saying can we do that again Captain, & would that count as a go around?:sad:

Point Seven
16th May 2003, 01:06
GT3

If go arounds are to be outlawed, then doesn't that put you out of a job?!;)

Vizsla
16th May 2003, 02:36
Lets get the terminolgy right "luvvies" are actors who are too thick to think for themselves and read other peoples scripts.

Journalists write the words for documentaries and the actors, they know nothing about the subject and can make the opening of a can of beans an international crisis and disaster.

Researchers feed the journalists a brief story line gleaned from someone who was almost there when the beans were opened but heard about it from someone who heard about it from a checkout girl in the supermarket

Jerricho
16th May 2003, 02:44
And you P7......but then again, you're so damn lazy, you wouldn't get out of your own way!!! *gasp*

"YUKON HO.................................."

:p :p :p :p

GT3
16th May 2003, 21:46
If go arounds are to be outlawed, then doesn't that put you out of a job?!

Doh! better get down the job centre ;) i hear that ann summers are looking for people - know anyone with such experience ;)

halo
17th May 2003, 01:00
Wow, its another spectacularly inane thread......... That doesn't happen all the time.... Can we not go back to debating about where my £15K is??

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th May 2003, 18:32
Blimey.. I thought go-arounds were a thing of the past since I retired? Long ago there was a real frightener developing on 28R (not the numbers) with only 50/50 chance of a departure beating a landing Vanguard. Vanguard, looking down at the dep rolling underneath him says: "What happens if I overshoot ?" Air man says: "You're not cleared to overshoot" so he landed! (Sorry for stone age phraseology)

Bren M

Loki
17th May 2003, 18:36
Heathrow Director:

I remember an Aeroflot TU104 (remember them?) being told to overshoot (much nicer phraseology) to which the pilot replied:

"Negative, I am committed"

Gonzo
17th May 2003, 18:48
Didn't they take 30 seconds to spool up to full power? Nice!

Warped Factor
17th May 2003, 18:53
Told an Iberia to go-around once from short final on 27R one dark and stormy night.

Didn't surprise me when he just ignored what I had to say and landed anyway :ugh:

WF.

Gonzo
17th May 2003, 20:22
Same thing happened to me, same circumstances, same airline.

Going back to the Vanguard/Viscount, we were chatting at work yesterday and someone was recounting the tale of when a Trident was launched wheels up following a Viscount, and the Deps controller realised his error, came up on the R/T to the Viscount, just as if it was on the ground at the holding point: "xxx, pull over to the right, there's one to overtake you." He did, and it did!

Gonzo.

eastern wiseguy
17th May 2003, 21:33
Seems NO-ONE does what you tell them to......that (in the opinion of programme makers) you are dangerous...and yet you STILL want an extra 15k?

TONGUE SERIOUSLY IN CHEEK!!:ok:

geezer
18th May 2003, 00:36
30 secs for a Tu 104 gonzo ? That's for wimps - try an Il76 who lines up , saying "we need three minutes to run engines up to temperature and pressure !" ;-)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th May 2003, 01:15
Gonzo.. I think that's actually where the front one was a Bristol Freighter (Bristol Frightener). JK could probably explain!!

barleymow
18th May 2003, 01:44
As a frequent flyer I did not find the BBC programme
alarming as it was clearly a drama and not based on
facts, but from some of the incidents you are talking
about here I wonder when TCAS becomes operational.
If it doesn't work on taxiing to holding point, what height
or when does it come into effect?

Gonzo
18th May 2003, 05:33
Eastern Wiseguy,

Seems NO-ONE does what you tell them to......

So you know me personally then?! ;)

Geezer,

I was talking about when it was just about to land. 30 seconds to wait for full power is not ideal when you want to send it round!

HD,

Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't know a JK in the tower.
Gonzo.

ATCO Two
18th May 2003, 06:04
Ah Gonzo, you are a mere babe! Bren was alluding to the legendary John Kiernan, or JK as he was universally known.

paulo
18th May 2003, 08:16
barley - probably the best thread for serious questions is this one (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89563)

Gonzo
18th May 2003, 17:31
ATCO Two,

Ah Gonzo, you are a mere babe!

Well, it's often been said..............

BOAC
18th May 2003, 17:42
barley,
I wonder when TCAS becomes operational.
If it doesn't work on taxiing to holding point, what height
or when does it come into effect

No easy answer. One of our 737s at LGW BA has a TCAS fit which is inhibited on the ground, all the others work there so you can see the approach pattern.

Point Seven
18th May 2003, 22:25
Halo

The 15K was a spectacularly inane thread too. Muppet.

Stop being angry.

P7

ModernDinosaur
19th May 2003, 01:16
Almost (but not quite) on topic - my most vivid memory of a go-around was my first ever night circuits detail in a Cessna 152. At about 300' on final, nicely set up for the landing with full flap, cleared for a touch-and-go, when ATC calls with:

"G-XXXX go around, say again go-around, 737 about to enter the runway to backtrack, make an immediate right turn, do not overfly so-and-so village."

Another forty seconds and I'd've been past the 737 and safely established in the climb. OK, so forty seconds of taxiing fuel in a 737 probably cost about as much as my entire circuits detail (including the twenty minutes holding while the 737 made an aborted attempt to take off and the extortionate touch-and-go fees!), but with hindsight and in the interests of safety, I almost wished I'd copied your Tu104 pilot, Loki...

Negative, I am committed.

(Just to fully complete the picture, the 737 was on a positioning flight for maintenance with no passengers and a PLogged flight time of 12 minutes - I'd been talking to the First Officer while waiting for my instructor to arrive.)

Cheers,

MD.