PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Group Ever?

M14P
24th Apr 2003, 05:22
Well, probably not the strangest but certainly unusual:

Any of you who know me know that I have a strange love of the PZL Wilga. Thing is, see, I have in my grasp a Brand New Wilga 2000 (300 GeeGee Lycoming and fancy seats etc...)

It strikes me that many people would like to own 'a bit of my Wilga 2000' - possibily in addition to their normal steed - so that one might visit the odd 300m strip with four people on board or land in a cabbage patch etc.

Also, those who know me will vouch that I am a perfectionist and that the group will be flawlessly administered and honestly run.

Base either Popham or White Waltham, training included shares in the region of £10k.

Any ideas folks?

MLS-12D
24th Apr 2003, 06:47
Sounds like a great 'plane [see SWAviator review (http://www.swaviator.com/html/issuema03/Wilga3403.html)], but neither Popham, nor White Waltham, nor anywhere else in the UK would be very convenient for me ... :(

Have fun with your new toy! Wish I could try some glider towing in it!:D

Kolibear
24th Apr 2003, 16:33
A Wilga - I see you have very good taste then!

But what happened to the idea of owning a Cub then?

M14P
24th Apr 2003, 16:38
Mr Kolibear!

Well, you know me and Wilgas!

Cubs are great and I'd still love one but they are running at silly money (especially for a two seater whereas the Wilga has 4 + bags) and they need hangaring - not essential in this case.

Juliet Papa
24th Apr 2003, 17:52
Just out of interest, coz I love the Wilga too, what would the hourly costs/monthly costs be?

Not in the market yet, (I need my PPL first - not long to go now though - eek!:ooh: ) but am curious!!

JP

M14P
24th Apr 2003, 19:20
Cost wise you are looking at a little bit more than a 172 but a lot more character and fun. At 100 knots (any faster is just turning fuel to noise exponentially) you will burn 45 litres of avgas (according to the Shadin Flowmeter). In terms of running costs the aircraft is VERY simple. Manual flaps, massive chunky simple undercarriage, inspection panels are hinged so less labour cost at annual time. Best of all, it's new so it comes with a warranty for those unforeseen problems and ADs etc.

I am fairly keen to push a larger proportion of annual/c of a costs into the monthly price so that members are encouraged to fly the aircraft ('sleeping' members tend to moan at annual time when they argue that they have not caused much wear and tear etc but I prefer to see the monthly as the cost of making the aircraft available to the member)

My target would be to see the hourly cost below £90/hr wet but I need to get cracking on sums to work out the monthly spend too, I'll let you know.

BlueRobin
24th Apr 2003, 20:14
Go to the Aerofair. The Wilga wil be there again. Roomy, good panel, bags of power and it's RED. Not strange at all. In fact, very wise.

(homer moment) hmm...Wilga *drool*

M14P
24th Apr 2003, 20:34
It will be there because I will fly it there! What a coincidence.

That aircraft G-RIIN (because you can't help but GRIIN when you fly it) belongs to another private owner who is deeply in love with the aircraft (they are a husband and wife team and both fly it).

TheKentishFledgling
25th Apr 2003, 04:10
Yup, it's an aircraft I've also drooled over, ever since reading the review in Flyer a year or so back.

I don't think many aeroplanes look that nice all in red, but the Wilga's one of the few I think does. (It's weird, but I really don't think Pitts do, and many of them are!).

tKF

QDMQDMQDM
25th Apr 2003, 04:35
If you're going to burn fuel at that rate with 300HP, and pay that kind of money for a new ship, you could just as easily buy a really good Cessna 185.

Now there's a tailwheel aircraft -- short field, fast cruise, 6 seats, well 4 at least. Beautiful.

QDM

M14P
25th Apr 2003, 16:56
I agree - the 185 is a fine machine but first you have to find one, then you have to get it to the spec you want and after all of that you have no warranty on an aging airframe. The market rate for a 185 is well above the $130,000 mark (phew).

The 185 is also significantly more complex to maintain. There's no doubt, however, that it is a great aircraft. In terms of ruggedness, however, there isn't even a contest (the aileron pushrods on the Wilga are about 3/4" thick for example) - that's one reason why it's not as quick.

I've also got a fair bit of time in a Helio 295 - that beats both aircraft for speed, load carrying AND field performance but it is a thoroughbred and requires seriously high end money to keep it tip top.

PS - 45lt/hr isn't that bad is it? YAK owners are happy doing 125kt and 60lt/hr +.

BlueRobin
25th Apr 2003, 17:09
12 galls/hr for a big hunk of metal on a 540 is not bad I suppose! :p

Let's admire it a bit more...

http://www.pbase.com/image/2126238
http://www.pbase.com/image/2126237
http://www.pbase.com/image/2126210

Southern Cross
25th Apr 2003, 17:15
"PS - 45lt/hr isn't that bad is it? YAK owners are happy doing 125kt and 60lt/hr +."

Yep, but it is often 80lt/hr +++ !!

(Yak flying does have its compensatory benefits though...as anyone who comes to Aerofair will I hope see in the flying display on Saturday and Sunday).:ok:

M14P
25th Apr 2003, 17:18
Come on then interested parties! I can arrange demos for those SERIOUSLY interested (not Classifed Flying Club Members)

Come on SC - you know you want a share!

It will appeal to you rugged antipodean side :D

Kolibear
25th Apr 2003, 20:28
M14P, you've had a go in mine, can I have a go in yours please! :D :D

Look forward to seeing you at Aerofair.

BlueRobin
30th Apr 2003, 17:42
This Wilga 2000 has ended up in a slightly bad state:

http://www.globalparts.com/Rebuildable/g-rrin/index.html

Kolibear
30th Apr 2003, 17:48
That particular Wilga is alive and well - as M14P pointed out earlier in the thread. I saw her parked up at North Weald a month or so back and no doubt she'll be at Aerofair in a fortnight.

BlueRobin
30th Apr 2003, 19:16
Count the Is and Rs!

Wilga at this year's Aerofair - G-RIIN
ex-dealer dinged Wilga (above) - G-RRIN

Vedeneyev
30th Apr 2003, 21:09
I've been looking for a very strange group to join for a while now but can't find one..... Sukhoi Su-29 <homer hmmmmm>.... Anyone know of one in SE UK please drop me a PM.

QDMQDMQDM
1st May 2003, 05:32
Here's your Helio!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26428&item=2412255282&rd=1