PDA

View Full Version : Next Fly-In - Sherburn, 7th June.

Whirlybird
14th Apr 2003, 03:15
Well, Sherburn is definitely the winner in the poll, and Saturday 7th June seems to be the most popular day, so let's go for it. Knobby has said he'll liaise with the airfield, and hopefully someone who knows about these things can make us a sign-up page on whatever site it is we use, and provide a link. So...see you all there.

rustle
14th Apr 2003, 03:41
Done.

See: http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=59

knobbygb
14th Apr 2003, 03:52
Right, I'll liaise with them tomorrow - check there's nothing else planned for that day. I'll draw up some 'airfield information' nearer the time as well, although it's pretty straight forward and they're a friendly lot.

You'll be glad (if other threads are anything to go by) that the a/g radio service is excellent - exactly what it should be, unintrusive, but helpful when required with no 'little hitler' controllers.

Whirlybird
14th Apr 2003, 04:09
knobby,

I agree entirely about Sherburn's A/G radio operators. I've only flown in there once, but I was most impressed; they gave you all the information you needed, but if you asked for anything else, they didn't give it, and refused to "tell" you what to do. I realised it was the first time I'd been to an airfield where A/G operators did it by the book; all the others I'd run into had either been trying to do too much, or simply been incompetent or not there when needed. One of the many good things about Sherburn, along with the food, the surroundings...in case you hadn't gathered, I rather like the place. :D

AndyGB
14th Apr 2003, 08:10
This may be superflous given that Knobby plans to post the details, but the airfield information can be found on the website

http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk

I've just joined Sherburn, having trained in the US and they couldn't have been more accomodating. Just watch out for the strange shaped circuits on some of the runways and don't overfly the NIMBY'S.

buzzc152
14th Apr 2003, 20:21
My names down. Got 1 spare seat in the cessna at Shoreham...... or 3 spare if a group of people want to do a bit of cost sharing in the Arrowat Elstree.

LowNSlow
14th Apr 2003, 22:51
Sherburn sounds good, hopefully I'll be able to make it with a bit of leave schedule juggling :D :D

Fancy flying up together crossedcontrols ??

I'll have room for a little un in the Auster.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Apr 2003, 23:28
Not sure what in, but I'll be there somehow. Likely to be at-least one seat going from Popham.

G

snchater
14th Apr 2003, 23:59
All visitors can be assured of a warm Yorkshire welcome and will experience an excellent LARS from Waddington, Leeming and Humberside (see ' Brize Radar ' thread).

Northern Highflyer
15th Apr 2003, 00:12
Looks like being a busy day.

Think I will pop along althogh I wasn't planning on flying that day just to try and meet a few fellow PPRUNE'rs.

One thing they do ask for (as mentioned quite a lot in another thread) is to join overhead at 1500' rather than straight in.

Wx permitting you will al be able to try the new tarmac r/w complete with APAPI.

See you there.
:cool:

knobbygb
15th Apr 2003, 00:54
Right, as promised I’ve written ‘An idiots guide to arriving at Sherburn’. I know most experienced pilots won’t need this, but it’s aimed at people like me who are a bit unsure when going to new places. I’ve deliberatley left out any information that’s oficially available such as frequencies, and concentrated on ‘local knowledge’.

Approach info

Sherburn is within the Church Fenton MATZ and Fenton are usually active at the weekend. It’s a satellite field to Linton-on-Ouse – used for training and home to a fleet of Firefly’s. If you’re arriving from the south, you’ll probably be getting a LARS from Waddington Zone and should be handed over to Fenton abeam Doncaster (fly over Finningley while it’s still in uncontrolled airspace!).

A good visual landmark when arriving from the south are the three power stations spread west to east along the M62. The airfield itself is 10nm further north and is easy to spot due to the white/grey industrial units to the NW of the field – easily visible from 15nm or so on a good day. Sherburn has an NDB (SBL, 323.0) with a promulgated range of 10nm but it usually ‘works’ from at least 30nm.

Fenton will clear you to enter the MATZ ‘Not above 1500ft Fenton QFE’ and ask you to report the field in sight. Outbound aircraft usually leave the zone at 1000ft on the Sherburn QFE, usually to the south or east to avoid the Fenton ATZ, so it’s a good idea to remain at around 1500ft if possible.

For anyone arriving from the west, Leeds approach are usually very happy to allow zone transit if required. From the North, Linton Zone will usually request that a/c remain west of the A1 until the A1/M62 junction and penetrate the Fenton MATZ from the west to avoid the Fenton ATZ. Overhead Selby is the preferred route from the east. Beware of Burn gliding site 10nm SE of the field.

Overhead joins are at 1500ft on the Sherburn QFE and circuits are generally to the south south-east or west of the field depending on the runway is use. Fenton keep their circuits to the north or east to avoid conflict Much of the activity at the field is training, and it’s not unusual for there to be 4 or 5 aircraft in the circuit for most of the day, so overhead joins are preferred. There is a helicopter training school on the field and the rotary circuit is inside the fixed-wing circuit.

The villages in the area are VERY noise sensitive – a whole 2 pages of Pooleys are dedicated to noise abatement procedures. This makes some of the circuits a bit odd shaped but they’re by no means ‘cross-countries’.

If one of the grass runways 25/06 or 29/11 are in use, the usual procedure on landing is to taxi around the remainder of the triangle rather than backtrack. If the tarmac runway is in use, there is a parallel taxiway. There is a very good airfield diagram on the website (select ‘airfield information’ then ‘airfield layout schematic’) which gives more info than the one in the AIP.

Fuel and parking

Parking is usually along either side of taxiway A (see diagram) or on the grass area to the north, although this is usually used mainly for helicopter training/parking. The area around the fuel pumps and hangars on the main apron is cramped and crowded and so aircraft not requiring hard-stand parking will probably be moved after refuelling.

Fuel is relatively cheap - currently 89p/litre, and the landing fee of £5 is waived on fuel purchase :D

Facilities

The clubhouse is fairly basic but comfortable. Food and drinks are available all day (including licensed bar for any passengers). The bar/café is run by Sue and I can thoroughly recommend her ‘all day breakfast’.

The place is small enough that we should have no problem meeting up – hopefully it’ll be hard NOT to bump into PPRuNers everywhere one looks.

There’s a pool table in the bar if anybody fancies organising a PPRuNe pool tournament, by the way. :ok:

There’s a dedicated room for flight planning (something lacking at Duxford), and the weather reports/Notams etc. are available. The people behind the flight-desk (probably Mike on a Saturday) are friendly and helpful, although ususally very busy.

Departure

The airfield closes at 20:00 local. Sunset isn’t until 21:31 on 7th June but local planning regulations forbid flying after 20:00

Departure from the ATZ/MATZ is usually at 1000ft on the Sherburn QFE to avoid inbounds, and to the south, west or east (although Fenton usually closes by 17:00).

Hope this all helps. Feel free to ask questions if needed. If there’s anything I’ve missed or got wrong, I’m sure other locals will chip in. I’m calling in tomorrow so I’ll ask them about what PPR is required. I suspect they’ll be happy with a copy of the online list as Duxford were.

Northern Highflyer
15th Apr 2003, 01:12
Knobby

I think you got most of it.

Might be Jo on the desk with it being Saturday.

If using 29/11 tarmac, once off the tarmac taxiway a/c should taxi to the apron via the grass 01/19 runway if there are any other a/c taxying out on the tarmac taxiway.

NH

2Donkeys
15th Apr 2003, 01:25
Visited today with a friend. Lovely field, nice new runway and a very warm welcome.

Definitely a fly-in to get to! :D

md 600 driver
15th Apr 2003, 01:26
whirly

we have a good rotorhead group here at sherburn too at least 6 ppruners we have b47,300/500/600 ,22/44,hiller 12c/12e, 206,120,341 enst 280/28f arriving regularly

see you there take you for a ride if my 600 is back from being fixed or have a go in my hiller 12c
steve

DB6
15th Apr 2003, 03:20
Oooooooh, I don't know, all the way from Church Fenton? :}
I'll be there :ok: Happy to provide liaison with Fenton ATC if required.

Whirlybird
15th Apr 2003, 05:36
md 600,

Both of those are new types for me, so I'll definitely be there. :ok:

Saab Dastard
16th Apr 2003, 03:27
I'm definitely interested, but depends on aircraft availability.

It's quite a way from Fairoaks for a tyro! Is overnighting an option at Sherburn?

I'll have to fork out for a Northern half-mil Chart, too! Expenses, expenses ;)

BTW, I understand that the revised chart is coming out on May 15, if anyone else from Darn Sarf is thinking of purchasing one.

SD

Whirlybird
16th Apr 2003, 05:34
Saab Dastard,
When I flew into Sherburn on the way home from Scotland we stayed in a local B & B which we found from a phone number on the notice board there; they even picked us up at the airfield. That was a couple of years ago, but I would imagine it's still possible.

Wycombe
16th Apr 2003, 16:15
Brooklands and I will hopefully be venturing north from Wycombe (might also bring a third crew member to share the flying) - booked a plane for the day this morning.

A nice long trip like this will give us a proper chance to play with the rather capable autopilot in the 172SP.

Northern Highflyer
16th Apr 2003, 17:28
Saab

If you enjoy the outdoor lifestyle bring a tent and pitch it on the field near the clubhouse.

It's not far to walk (or stagger) after an evening on the beer. :D

DRJAD
16th Apr 2003, 17:39
Ref. Sherburn airfield information.

Very complete information from KnobbyGB - thanks! (I, too, am based at Sherburn, and I currently maintain the information on the website: so would be interested to know if anyone thinks there is anything missing as far as nav. info. is concerned!)

www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk

(BTW, I believe that the runway lighting for the tarmac runway 29/11 is switched off by timer switch at 20.00 hrs, come what may.)

Happy flying!

DRJAD.

knobbygb
16th Apr 2003, 18:40
I would also be interested in camping over - although I won't be flying in, I am a 1hr 15 min drive away and I am going to be there on the Sunday also, as it's a charity day (free flights for local terminally-ill children). Camping would allow me to have a few beers in the bar - somthing I've never done at Sherburn due to the long drive home.

There's an area where I'm sure it'd be OK to pitch tents (round the side of the porta-cabins for those who are familiar) which is away from the manouvering area and less than 30 seconds stagger from the bar.

AerBabe
20th Apr 2003, 14:11
I dunno... you turn your back for 5 minutes and there's another fly-in organised. :rolleyes:
Anyone got a spare seat from Cranfield/Finmere/Sywell area please, for a willing and fairly able map-holder/tea-maker?

Kolibear
21st Apr 2003, 05:04
Aerbabe, if you can make the long haul down the M1, round the M25 and up the M11 and negiotate the market traffic to North Weald, I'm sure we can fit you in the Koliber some how.

Saab Dastard
23rd Apr 2003, 21:20
AerBabe,

Turweston is on my way. That do? It looks better than Sywell, (and cheaper than Cranfield). So far there are 3 empty seats in the cherokee.

SD

Northern Highflyer
23rd Apr 2003, 21:54
Hope you will all wear name badges on the day.

I will feel silly walking up to someone and asking them if they are a prune ;) :p

FNG
23rd Apr 2003, 22:20
Aerbabe, I am not yet sure if I am going, but if I do go I would be happy to pick you up from any of those airfelds. I will let you know.

BlueRobin
24th Apr 2003, 00:28
Just a reminder to put your name down here.

http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=59

There's a lowly seven a/c inc. me & if anyone's interested in flying a red, stick 'n' rudder Jodel, I have a seat going (Bidford is located nr. Stratford-upon-Avon).

buzzc152
24th Apr 2003, 18:42
Still 3 seats in an Arrow from Elstee...... can pick up en-route.
Big red L..... I haven't forgotten you..... will confirm with you v. soon

Circuit Basher
29th Apr 2003, 16:20
About time this was back to the top!

I've currently put myself on the list as flying in with a Fuji, but may have to try to arrange an alternative (possibly C172) as a member of our group is arranging a 'Young Eagles' day at Perth on the same day. He rang to ask me if I could change my provisional booking - I was minded to say 'Tough, I was here first', but I should maybe try to promote peace and harmony in the group!! The plus side of a C172 is that:[list=a]
It's based at Kirknewton (where I live), rather than 55 miles up the road in Perth
It's £10 an hour cheaper than the Fuji
Mrs CB (who wants to ride shotgun with me) prefers C172s as she can see more below!
The C172 is Airways equipped, so I can try to come down IFR (M8, M74, M6, M62) ;)
[/list=a]
If I do change steeds, I will update the fly-in list accordingly.

Whirlybird
29th Apr 2003, 19:54
I haven't filled in the list, because I just don't know what I'll be doing. I get back from holiday on May 23rd, I hope to have a helicopter flying job, I need some f/w hours...and I'm short of money. If I can't manage to get hold of an aircraft and/or afford to fly, but have the time off, could anyone take me...I can easily get to Welshpool, Sleap, Hawarden, Liverpool, Halfpenny Green or anywhere similar. If needed, my nav and RT are reasonable...though I did mix up runway directions at Duxford. :eek:

MikeeB
29th Apr 2003, 21:45
I've got a two slot lesson booked that day (as per most Saturdays from the end of May).

Expecting to go solo anytime now, so keep a look out for me :)

BlueRobin
29th Apr 2003, 21:51
Whirly,

...assuming wx is okay and I will have met my solo insurance requirements (should have), fancy a trip in my Jodel?

Based at Bidford, I can be at 1/2d Green in around 15 minutes and Sleap or Welshpool in 30. Also would save me having to negotiate the Brum/East Mids gap solo. :cool:

LowNSlow
29th Apr 2003, 21:59
My leave schedule has been changed again :( so I won't be making it to the fly-in. Rats, rats and double rats :* :*

Whirlybird
29th Apr 2003, 22:03
BlueRobin,

I'd love to; thankyou. :ok: I'd definitely like a Jodel trip, especially since it's something I've always thought I might like to buy....assuming someone pays me lots of money to fly helicopters first. Sleap or Welshpool are best for me really, and with significantly cheaper landing fees than Wolverhampton Intergalactic.:eek:

FNG
2nd May 2003, 17:10
I shall try to come and might stay overnight. Can anyone recommend a country house hotel with a good restaurant within a reasonable taxi ride of Sherburn? Thanks

MikeeB
2nd May 2003, 17:40
http://www.monkfrystonhotel.com/ (Here)

Not been, but it looks like the kind of place your looking for.

FNG
2nd May 2003, 18:05
Thanks Mikee, that looks good, and very close to Sherburn as well

rotorboater
7th May 2003, 00:36
I will try very hard to make it this time, I missed Duxford because of stupid things like work.

Now all I have to do is find where I left the key's and try and take off now that the leaves have all come out on the tree that my helicopter is parked under.

I hope to see a few of you there.

Kolibear
14th May 2003, 21:11
Time to get this one back up to the top......:)

Whirlybird
15th May 2003, 17:05
BRL,

Don't you think you should make this thread a "sticky"?

Whirly (presently on a ship somewhere North of the Arctic Circle)

LowNSlow
15th May 2003, 19:25
Got my leave schedule changed which means I can go to Sherburn :ok: :ok:

So the offer of a seat from the St. Albans / Stevenage / Luton / Hitchin area is back on. Preferably somebody who's not more than 15 stone cos I'll need a full tank for the trip and my chunkiness will make up the difference (ask crossedconrols) :p

BRL
15th May 2003, 20:57
Whirly what are you doing on a ship in the artic circle..???? :ooh:

LowNSlow Thats great news, hope to see you there then. :)

Northern Highflyer
15th May 2003, 21:10
What time are people planning to arrive ?

Looking forward to meeting some fellow ppruners :D

BRL
15th May 2003, 21:14
Northern Highflyer If you look at this page here (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=59) it will tell you roughly who is going and ETA's. :)

A_Pommie
17th May 2003, 16:46
Windy Millitant and I will endevour to bring our Auster along.

FlyingForFun
19th May 2003, 21:53
Ok, aircraft is booked, my name is on the list. I've bought a North of England chart :eek: Now we just need good weather, and I have to hope my aircraft has had its 50-hour check by then (which I'm sure it will have).

Seems like I have a spare seat going from White Waltham. Happy to pick someone up on the way if necessary.

FFF
-------------

Kolibear
19th May 2003, 22:32
Hey FFF - would you like to write my posts for me? :) :)

Aircraft is booked, I've bought the map, theres a spare seat from North Weald. eveepee is navigating which means we'll see you on sunday.

(Ducks to avoid incoming handbag)

MikeSamuel
20th May 2003, 05:47
FFF, are you planning on staying the night? Would like your spare seat if possible, have to compare Europa to Vans (when it is built!!!)

Drop me a line,

Regards,

Mike

Circuit Basher
20th May 2003, 15:29
Just to repeat Kolibear & FFF - new Northern area map has been ordered from a certain pilot shop in Fairoaks / Shoreham, and I'm also treating myself to a new Pooleys in honour of the occasion (the 1996 one I currently have that used to be amended by me in response to the inserts in GASIL is looking a bit pen stricken now!).

Looks like I'll have to come in a C172 as I haven't even started converting to the C182RG yet (due to insurance delays). I'll certainly find my way as Mrs CB (my navigational adviser) will be there to keep me on track!!

FlyingForFun
20th May 2003, 17:33
Mike - sorry, can't stay overnight as someone else has booked the aircraft for the next day. Quite unusual to see it booked that far in advance, so it must be something special that he wants it for - so very unlikely he'd re-schedule for me.

FFF
--------------

eveepee
20th May 2003, 19:38
Aw..come on Kolibear, I haven't got us lost ..yet... Just make sure we've plenty of fuel. :D

PS (It's only the magpies that need to duck!)

MikeSamuel
20th May 2003, 21:45
OK FFF, just wondered about the staying over. I'm not too bothered but if the offer of the lift is still there would you be able to swoop in to Wellesbourne and pick me up?
After £41 and £17 landing fees at Coventry for my lifts there and back to Duxford I think it might be a more sensible option!!!
Cheers,

Mike

Northern Highflyer
21st May 2003, 19:03
Thanks for that BRL. :ok:

FlyingForFun
21st May 2003, 19:14
MikeS - I'm pretty sure I can manage that. Will talk to you about details nearer the time.

FFF
--------------

Wycombe
24th May 2003, 20:16
Bought my new Northern map today, so definately coming now!!

Saab Dastard
27th May 2003, 04:58
Sadly it looks as if November Whiskey will not be serviceable :( :{

Looks as if I won't be able to make it, unless anyone needs a navigator from Fairoaks / Blackbushe / White Waltham / Denham, of course - in which case I will offer my services!

After buying the northern half mill and all :rolleyes:

Cheers

SD

BlueRobin
29th May 2003, 19:06
Whirlybird -> Not sure if I can make it.

Currently undergoing some further tail wheel tuition, whch is proving difficult to get right and hence safe.

BRL
29th May 2003, 19:26
Now then. Some people have dropped out or disappeared completely which means some people are in need of a lift. I urge you all who are going to put your name on the list HERE (http://www.thehangar.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=59)
Many thanks..... :)

Kolibear
29th May 2003, 19:54
Oh good. I see Dale Winton will be joining us. It was a shame that George Bush failed to make Duxford.

I stil have a spare seat if anyone is interested from Stapleford and can pick up from Bourn or Fenland.

long final
29th May 2003, 20:13
Would like to come but A/C is booked out that day. Anyone from Blackpool going?

LF

Circuit Basher
29th May 2003, 20:27
Well, I saw G-CAMP had registered a few days back. We now also have G-OPHA, which I'm not convinced is a kosher entry.

Puts me in mind of the non-PC one-liner about why you shouldn't ridicule a dwarf with learning disabilities. "Coz it's not big and it's not clever, right?" :) :) [Apologies to all the vertically/ mentally challenged PPRuNers out there ;)]

Whirlybird
29th May 2003, 21:38
BlueRobin,

No problem. Genghis has to be in this area anyway, and has offered me a lift; I just hadn't got around to telling you yet! Hope you manage to make it though.

In Altissimus
29th May 2003, 23:24
Just booked in - my first fly-in.

Will be strange to se you all sober:} :} :}

Wycombe
30th May 2003, 14:38
Dale would certainly be welcome if he was going to bring the lovely Nell along!

But, are they really married....you decide??

md 600 driver
3rd Jun 2003, 14:43
see you all there on sunday will be in a ex mil gazelle any other helicopters going

steve

In Altissimus
3rd Jun 2003, 17:40
md 600 driver:

You won't see us if you go there on Sunday

buzzc152
5th Jun 2003, 00:19
Does anyone know how much fuel is at Sherbern ??

Circuit Basher
5th Jun 2003, 00:27
Probably about a tanker load!! :) :)

<I'll get me coat>....

knobbygb
5th Jun 2003, 16:42
A few weeks ago it was 89p/litre inc. VAT. (as opposed to £1.01 at Duxford!).

AND - no landing fee if you fill up - so a few quid saved all round.

Circuit Basher
5th Jun 2003, 17:03
knobbygb - heve you confirmed that the list on 'TheHangar' will serve adequate notice for PPR, or should I give the nice chappies / chapesses at Sherburn a shout?

knobbygb
5th Jun 2003, 17:48
Right, sorry, I should have done this already....

Just called them and there's no specific PPR requirements, so they're happy for people to just turn up on the day and announce themselves over RT, although the usual call ahead to check the weather etc. might be a good idea as the Vale of York can be misty/murky/wet etc. when it's nice in the surrounding area. 01977 682674

There are no special arrangements in place for the fly-in - we'd expect a number of visiting aircraft anyway, but I've been asked to remind you to PLEASE READ THE NOISE ABATEMENT PROCEDURES and avoid overflying the local villages on arrival/departure. Expect a standard overhead join.

I checked that there's no work or anything else unexpected which might be a problem on the day and all the dragons and whippets have been removed from the manouvering areas, so there's no need for you southerners to have any innoculations before the trip.

As for fuel, I got it a bit wrong. The price for visitors is higher - 96p. inc. VAT. This is partly explained by a recent price increase, and partly by some kind of partial VAT reclaim which makes it cheaper for club aircraft. Sorry if I mislead above. I checked, and there will be no landning fee for anyone who buys fuel. Even if you have to pay, it's only a fiver!

Weather for Saturday from BBC website - sunny with partial cloud, wind 12mph from SW - if rwy 24 is in use expect some windsheer on final from the trees/club buildings adjacent to the threashold.

Airfield opening hours 09:30 to 20:00.

By the way, how many locally based pruners are coming? At least 4 or 5 have expressed an interest and I was checking the other day and managed to find at least 12 who have posted here recently. Perhaps you could put entries on the fly-in booking page leaving the aircraft blank?

Hopefully see you all on Saturday.

Gary.

DRJAD
5th Jun 2003, 17:57
Noise Abatement procedures for each SHerburn runway, and some information on normal routing inbound is on the website:

www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk

Kolibear
5th Jun 2003, 19:00
The Met Office 5-day forecast for York is giving a nasty black cloud symbol (=low cloud) for saturday, but their 3-day forecast for York&Lincs is marginally more optimisic,showing 'sunny intervals'

FlyingForFun
5th Jun 2003, 19:08
Seems like there could be a few late decisions being made. For those of us coming from the south, the three-day surface pressure animation is showing a front turning north over the south coast on Saturday, which could mean we'll have trouble getting home :(

We've been pretty lucky with the weather for past PPRuNe fly-ins, let's hope we can keep up the good record...

FFF
-------------

buzzc152
5th Jun 2003, 19:35
More importantly, is someone bringing a BBQ/grub ??
If not, what's the food like up there ?

NinjaBill
5th Jun 2003, 21:57
I should be able to make it this Saturday, but wont be flying as I only live 10 miles away, unless you count the hump back bridge on the way, where i can get airborne for about a second.

Ill see you all there.

How do we manage to meet each other? Just wander round asking 'do you pprune'?

NB

MikeeB
5th Jun 2003, 22:05
Im there on Saturday, but I'll be doing a "fly-out" :)

Got two slots booked in the early afternoon IIRC.

knobbygb
5th Jun 2003, 22:20
MikeeB, you flying anywhere special Saturday afternoon? Any pax? Reason being I've had my 2hr slot cancelled this morning (both the Robins are u/s for the next week or so :{ ). If you fancy going halves on a land-away flight somewhere interesting, let me know. Which a/c have you got booked?

FlyingForFun
5th Jun 2003, 22:27
NinjaBill,

"The loud bunch in the corner" usually works pretty well :E

Usually, I'm more than happy to give out my mobile number to anyone who's worried they won't find the regulars. On this occassion, since I've got a 2-hour flight each way (including picking up MikeS) when my phone will be turned off, and since the weather down this way is looking slightly uncertain, I'm probably not the best person to swap numbers with.... but I'm still happy to give my number to anyone who thinks it might be useful - just drop me a PM if you want.

FFF
-------------

BRL
5th Jun 2003, 22:34
If we decide to go(wx permiting) then I shall be wearing my trusty old blue New York Yankees baseball cap. Also, as with FFF I will give out my phone number if required. :)

Northern Highflyer
5th Jun 2003, 22:35
I have a slot booked 11 - 12 to take my brother for a spin. Sounds like the circuit will be a bit crowded when I get back. :uhoh:

Both Robins u/s huh ? That and a Warrior written off at Derby last week (my slots were cancelled) At this rate there won't be any club a/c left. :{

See you all there. :ok:

knobbygb
5th Jun 2003, 23:16
Really? Warrior at Derby? Hadn't heard about that! The website says Oscar Mike is 'Unavailable' - is that the one? Hope everybody's OK and everything.

Yep, both Robins - one is having it's anual which was delayed from last week - the other is being flown to France for 'repairs'.

If anybody's interested and can't find any PPRuNer's to talk to on Saturday, I'll be the scruffy looking one with long hair halfway down my back hanging around fertively not saying much. I'll be there early with a printout of the 'list' and I'll try to say hello to people as some kind person did at Duxford, but I only know about 2 people by sight.

DRJAD
5th Jun 2003, 23:32
Yes, AFAIK its G-BNOM that met its end at Derby.

I'll also be there on Saturday, with a hardcopy of the list, but don't know any Ppruners by sight. However, I'm reasonably recognisable (balding with long hair(some)!)

Hope to meet some of you.

Whirlybird
5th Jun 2003, 23:37
Finding people? Sherburn is small, not like Duxford. Anyway, I'll wear my PPRuNe T-shirt; look for a smallish woman with short dark hair with red and blonde highlights, usually talking too much. :eek: :) And I know everyone...well, a few people anyway.

Food? Excellent restaurant last time I was at Sherburn, which admittedly was a couple of years ago.

Weather? Dunno, but we ALWAYS have good wx for PPRuNe flyins!!!!! Don't we?

buzzc152
6th Jun 2003, 20:41
Fantastic, latest met forecast says 'sun sun sun'
Does anyone have to travel as far as Shoreham ?

rotorboater
6th Jun 2003, 20:51
I hope the rain keeps off for tommorow, I hate flying in the rain, there is one leak right down my neck and one that drips over the transponder, do planks leak as much as helicopters?

I should be there tommorow, I am the tall guy with dimples, I am looking forward to meeting a few of you so don't be shy!

See you all soon, RB

Circuit Basher
6th Jun 2003, 21:45
Have been trying to get some reasonable synoptic data for tomorrow - attached are the results:

General Picture
Latest Met Forecast for 0600Z 7 Jun 03 (http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0.html)

UK Low Level (issued 6 Jun 03 12170 - outlook for 0001Z 7 Jun 03 shows nil significant frontal actiivty over Sherburn.
Met Office Low Level Forecast for 1200Z 6 Jun 03 (http://secure.metoffice.com/aviation/aviationProduct.do?productId=156)

From the BBC Web site (updated 0455 6 Jun 03):

Outlook for Saturday
Southern parts will be rather cloudy with the odd pocket of rain. Scotland and N Ireland will see sunny spells but also showers, perhaps heavy and thundery. Remaining parts should be mainly dry with some hazy sunshine.

From the Met Office Web Site (which is currently running as slow as a wet Wednesday week!) :

Leeds Forecast for Saturday (http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/yorkslincs.html)
Saturday 7 Jun
Max temp 20°C
Min temp 13°C

Based on the current picture, I reckon I'll hack down from parts northern and give it a go. Anyone want any haggis brought down in exchange for flying jollies??! I doubt I'll be able to offer much in the way of gash trips, as I estimate I have 15 mins spare fuel in the C172 after all necessary contingency reserves and diversion / unusable fuel have been allowed for. I was trying to avoid refuelling @ Sherburn as the paperwork for this aircraft will get a bit messy. We'll see how things go on the way down.

QNH 1013
6th Jun 2003, 23:33
Just updated my entry on the fly-in list. Now coming in the yellow Jodel and I now have a spare seat from Netherthorpe for anyone under 13 stone. Willing to swap Jodel rides if anyone wants to see how a 65 hp Jodel performs. Weight limit at Sherburn will be slightly higher depending on fuel burnt off. I hope this time someone has arranged for us to be able to swap rides without having to pay a landing fee every time.
Keep fingers crossed for flying weather.

Whirlybird
6th Jun 2003, 23:59
I'm now in need of a lift!!!!! Can anyone pick me up from Welshpool, Sleap, Hawarden, Wolverhampton, Liverpool, or somewhere similar? If not I'll probably drive over, but it's about three hours by car. :( :( :( If you can, send me a PM with your phone number, or post here and I'll PM you, or something similar. Pleeeeaaaase.

A mildly desperate Whirly

BRL
7th Jun 2003, 00:02
Unstuck because of the new stickie. At the moment, I am still waiting on somone to call me back to see if they can cover my job tommorow. I have been waiting a few hours now so I am starting to flap a bit. Anyhow, I do feel a dodgy stomach ache coming on, now where is that works phone number....... ;)

buzzc152
7th Jun 2003, 03:32
Whilybird, how is Tatenhill for you ?
I've sent you a PM. if you're interested let me know asap (pre 2130ish tonight).

knobbygb
7th Jun 2003, 04:05
1013, I wouldn't have thought they'd charge you for every landing. It's VERY relaxed - they often don't charge visitors anyway unless they actually have five pound notes waved under their noses. None of the home based aircraft pay landing fees so they're not used to charging people.

If you're REALLY worried about the extra cost, you could always get a free landing by taking a club member with you (hint, hint!)

QNH 1013
7th Jun 2003, 04:26
knobbygb,
Thanks for the info. Not a problem for me as both my clubs have reciprocal free landings at Sherburn. I was just thinking of the far-flung visitors from the "South".
Looking forward to a great afternoon.

Pink_aviator
7th Jun 2003, 05:22
HI
Been eves dropping on your thread . I reconised alot of familiar names. It is great to see you all so excited for sherbourn tomorrow. I hope the weather is great for you all and you all land and depart safley and enjoy the yorkshire ale.
PINK-AVIATOR

Whirlybird
7th Jun 2003, 05:27
buzz,

Tatenhill is fine, but I didn't get the message till 10 pm; please check your pms and give me a call if it's still on.

Since I'm still not sure if I have a lift, if anyone else can take me, give me a call on 07813.651722, any time tonight or in the morning.

An even more desperate Whirly.

Whirlybird
7th Jun 2003, 16:20
Panic over. I'll be arriving in LownSlow's Auster, unless there are any last minute hitches. Probably between 12 and 1, though that depends on him of course...and on wx etc etc. Anyway, I'm wearing my PPRune T-shirt, so if anyone can't find the PPRuNers, look for me!!!!

A happy Whirly :) :) :)

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jun 2003, 17:32
I'm afraid there's too much low cloud (i.e. about 8/8 below circuit height) so I can't safely get out, and suspect I couldn't get back.

Have fun chaps, hopefully see you at the next one.

G

MikeSamuel
7th Jun 2003, 18:10
Looks like FFF and I will be seeing you at the next one too...Cloud again! Enjoy!

Evo
7th Jun 2003, 18:14
got 8/8ths at about 200ft and viz down to a couple of kilometers here, and the forecast is for worse! Hope those up north have better luck :)

knobbygb
8th Jun 2003, 00:55
Well for those of you Southerners who couldn't make it, may I just say - :p - the weather up here was absolutely beautiful.

Whirly has the official list of who came, and in what etc. but I think about 8 aircraft made it from places as far a field as White Waltham, Stapleford, Belfast and Scotland.

Anyway, was good to finally chat to some of you as real people. Now who's going to start a thread "Next fly-in....."?

Whirlybird
8th Jun 2003, 01:58
See "Sherburn PIREP" thread for who came and what those who didn't missed etc.