PDA

View Full Version : SIRCAM VIRUS

BOAC
31st Jul 2001, 20:12
On behalf of all the pprune forum moderators, can I make a plea for EVERYONE to check their machines for this Virus?
It is causing a significant strain on email servers (and forum moderators!) as it spreads around the Windows world. It is even causing Uncle (Mac) Danny some pain as although it does not affect the Mac he still gets the emails!

Our addresses are obviously more public here than others, but BE AWARE that this virus is spreading very rapidly and is not just limited to PPRuNe moderators!

There is a good thread on it (with advice on how to avoid it) on the Computer/Internet Issues Forum on pprune at BEWARE, YET ANOTHER NASTY VIRUS...... (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=35&t=001103), and you can read all about the virus - AND DOWNLOAD A REMOVAL FIX -from Symantec (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected])

Please do this and try to help to stop the spread of this virus.

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: Capt PPRuNe ]

BOAC
31st Jul 2001, 20:28
It is perhaps of note to add, should you not be too worried about this, to point out that it works by finding a file on (your) infected machine and broadcasting that file to your address book! Could be embarrasing!?

Thanks as ever Danny for putting the professional touches to my URLs!

andymac
31st Jul 2001, 23:33
Having had a dose of this virus, my Anti-virus software detected and quarantined the necessary files. I then found the antidote program, downloaded it, ran it and it wouldn't work because I'd quarantined the files!!!. Problem solved by booting up from rescue disks.
Regds. :mad:

javelin
1st Aug 2001, 00:28
I am getting pissed off with Mike Butler whoever he is 'cos I get 4 emails a day trying to infect me. So far I think I am clean because I don't open anything dodgy. Takes ages to download your emails as well. :mad:

autobrakemedium
1st Aug 2001, 01:27
Have received 15 emails with this virus in the last week.

HomerSimpson
1st Aug 2001, 02:58
Im clean (I hope)!

Gantenbein
1st Aug 2001, 08:02
That's what people do, hope they're clean. That's why the virus spreads.

Open an e-mail attachment without being 200% sure it's not infected with anything, and you're one of those spreading it.

Like others, I'm receiving this virus three times a day...

lesenterbang
1st Aug 2001, 09:17
I've been hit and now I am looking for the cure. Somehow the Symantec links doesn't work. Help........

PPRuNe Pop
1st Aug 2001, 10:48
I have a zip file I downloaded from McAfee which cleans any infection from SirCam and then prevents re-infection. All you do is create a file on your C: drive called Scremove - extract the zip to it - click on remove and let it do it's work. It then gives you a full report.

If anyone would like it I will be happy to mail it to you. It is about 570kb.

PPRuNe Pop
Administrator
[email protected]

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Pop ]

BOAC
1st Aug 2001, 11:59
lesenterbang - try this, pasted into your browser
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

BOAC
2nd Aug 2001, 12:03
'Back to the top' for anyone who has been marooned on an island for a couple of weeks!