PDA

View Full Version : Willo hold at EGKK

notac
3rd Mar 2003, 11:00
Could someone please clarify a question I have regarding the Willo hold.

My understanding is that you fly a standard ICAO holding pattern from Willo.

However, some people I have flown with suggest that you should fly Willo - Holly - Willo and so on. I can see why they may think this as this is how it is drawn on the Aerad / Thales plates.

Which is correct, my money is on the ICAO hold but it would be nice to get a conclusive answer.

Thanks in advance.

zygote
3rd Mar 2003, 15:38
I reckon HOLLY is only used to get into the hold - once there it can be ignored.

spekesoftly
3rd Mar 2003, 16:52
Yep:- "Standard inbound routing .... Hollow - Willy" ;)

5milesbaby
3rd Mar 2003, 18:34
Looking at the ever faithful but now extinct paper copy of the MATS Part 2 which has not been updated for over a year now, HOLLY is used to mark the end of the outbound leg for every pattern completed, so it seems its not a standard ICAO hold.

javelin
4th Mar 2003, 01:40
Choose one, put in the hold, get a cup of coffee - no worries :cool:

Hew Jampton
4th Mar 2003, 14:33
Zygote is right, HOLLY is only there to stop people routeing direct WILLO when entering the hold; once in the hold it can be ignored. Smilesbaby, HOLLY only happens to be at or near the end of the theoretical, still-air o/b leg at one speed.

Unfortunately, the AIP no longer gives (or I can't find) the textual description of the hold which would give the definitive answer.

notac
4th Mar 2003, 15:59
So Willo is a standard ICAO hold and Holly can be ignored once in the hold.

Many thanks

30W
6th Mar 2003, 08:23
Just to confirm WILLO is a standard ICAO hold, ie. HOLLY can be ignored once the 'join' has been completed. HOLLY exists purely to 'force' a sector 3 (direct entry) into the hold at WILLO. This is done because it reduces the amount of 'protected airspace' required on the 'dead side' of the holding axis that is required under sector 1 or 2 joins. In the UK airspace is a precious commodity, especially in the LTMA!!

This is the same for all other UK airports, the UK has no 2 waypoint holds, neither does it have DME based leg lengths. Any marking chart wise which shows a DME distance at the end of the outbound leg dictates the maximum DME prior to turning inbound, so if ICAO timing dictates the turn earlier, then that is what should be flown.

Regards
30W