PDA

View Full Version : Collision Course

Skitzoid
22nd Jan 2003, 14:18
What did the armchair critics of Press & TV think of the BBC programme last night.....before you answer, an AAIB inspector was advisor on the production!

Konkordski
22nd Jan 2003, 16:19
I think the important thing to realise about the programme is that it was NOT designed to be an in-depth investigation of the actual accident but a demonstration of how sometimes-minor decisions can converge into a single point of consequence.

Meeb
22nd Jan 2003, 18:01
I only saw the last 30mins but it was compelling. The bit about Prof Angus Wallace was very interesting, the fact that due to Kegworth he saved a womans life on that flight in '95.

Captain Stable
22nd Jan 2003, 20:59
Darn it - I missed it. Does anyone have a tape of it?

Frangible
24th Jan 2003, 12:42
Omissions: Wallace and the other casualty folk from all the local hospitals did a study of the injuries and made not just the recommendations concerning the new brace position, but suggestions on rear-facing seats. No mention made, either, that cabin crew with rear-facing seats were least injured.

No mention either of the new 16G seats being attached to a 9G floor, nor of those pax killed by heavy items hurtling out of the overhead bins (every single one of which detached).

Error: the commentary stated that the vibration stopped "by chance" after they throttled back the wrong engine. In fact it was the disengagement of the auto-throttle that stopped the virbration and falsely confirmed to the crew they had shut down the correct engine. If that is too complicated for viewing public there are better ways of expressing it than "by chance".

But hey, you can't have everything. Can't fault it as a human-interest story, though, which is what the film was primarily, and well-made it was too.